What's new

Receiver for Paradigm's (1 Viewer)

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
I am on day two of my research into starting a new system. I am looking to have a nice finished system eventually but for now would like to purchase my fronts and a receiver. The system will go in a small living room and be used primarily for music, I do not have a nice tv. Unless things change I will be using this as a 2.1 system, dont really need 5-7 speakers in a small living room for music. I will also be holding off on a sub for a short while until I can afford one.

So far the speakers that have caught my eye are the PARADIGM MONITOR
11'S. Would this be a good way to go? Any other suggestions for less than the price of these.

What kind of reciever less than $700.00 in price would match best with this setup and these speakers? Like I said I really only need the 2.1 but would probably lean towards at least a 5.1 for continued growth of my system. Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.outlawaudio.com Get the RR-2150, it will be ideal for a 2.1 setup and should have no problem with the 11s.

If you intend to do 5.1, I'd look at the offerings from Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha in your price range. Any should be fine.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brent

For about $275, you should take a careful look at the Onkyo 524, top rated by Consumer Reports

Happy New Year

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Brent

I would take a serious look at the HTD Level 3 Towers for $699...excellent design...hard to explain, however, please feel free to send me a Private Message to discuss...under ordinary circumstances you will only be using less than 1.0 watt per channel...don't hesitate to PM me. If you want something a little more powerful, the Onkyo 604 for $370 + shipping should be more than enough.

Happy New Year

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Under normal circumstances yes, but when peaks hit, the 11s are going to draw a fair amount of current. Get the best receiver you can afford for them. I might look at the Yamaha 659 for $500, which got product of the year from Audioholics and it said it was also able to handle 4 Ohm loads (indicating the amp section is pretty solid).

Jacob C

Second Unit
If you are going 2.1 I would get bookshelf speakers and a good sub unless you have a very large room. That way you can get better sounding speakers for your money. Everyone on here has their favorites but I own a pair of Ascend Acoustics 170's and they are a very good speaker and less than $400 a pair. They do ahve a larger model but I am not sure about the price offhand.

I am also running a Panasonic XR57 and for a little over $300 it is very nice for the money.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
The experience I've had with the 11's, they thrive in bigger rooms. Plus they need adaquate power to really get the best out of them.
I agree with the others and suggest, since you do have a small room, to go with a bookshelf/sub scenario. You can move the sub around for the best bass response and if it is a quality one, it will go lower than the 11's.
If you are just gonna stay two channel I would look at NAD, and Rotel as well as the aforementioned Outlaw RR-2150.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know what 11s are currently going for, but personally, I'd go with Studio 40s and a good sub instead for 2.1

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
I really see myself using this almost exclusively for music. For that reason I am kind of looking at the NAD 743 receiver. I did consider bookshelves but hosetly they arent as apealing to my eye as a set of floorstanders in my opinion. I am renting this place now with the small ( roughly 10' * 20' ) living room, and am trying to look beyond my current location to what will work well wherever I move to. I dont have the funds to go through this process over and over so I am trying to put the best system together that I can afford.

What do you think about the NAD?

There are only a couple options within a few hours drive to get paradigm speakers. What would you say is a fair price for 9's, 11's, 40's, 60's.

Thanks for the help....

bb

4VTHOKIES

Agent
Real Name
Ted Pugh
I believe you will love the sound of the NAD. If you have not bought your speakers yet look on audiogon.com. You would be able to pick up a whole lot more speaker for your money by going used vs. new. With a tight budget you will be able to find a lot of nice buys there that could help get you on your way to a very nice system.

Good luck in the search.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks