What's new

Best floorstand speakers (pair) for music. under $800. (1 Viewer)

Crkondash675

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
I am looking to get a couple floorstand speakers to start out my home theatre system. I want 2 floorstand speakers with around 100-120 Rms handling. I am thinking of getting a pioneer vsx-1020-k 7.1 receiver. I want to just buy the floorstand speakers now and they will mainly be used for music purposes. I am also going to likely buy a klipsch sub-12 for the bass side of things so I'm not too concerned about getting too many low frequency responses from the towers. I'm pretty much looking for nice towers with good music output and decent mid-bass response. I have been looking at the klipsch f-20 towers which are nice but I heard they get to be hard to listen to after about 30 mins of music (better for movie audio). I have heard about axiom possibly being a good choice and I don't think I want Bose. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Corey

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What speakers sound best to your ears? Have you listened to the Klipsch to see if they fatigue you as much or as little as they do others? Taking other people's complaints about a product whose appeal is unique to each individual is not the best idea.

The only brand anyone around here will actively tell you to avoid is Bose, and it sounds like you're already on board with that.

When shopping for speakers, don't worry about the "rated" wattage numbers. If you want "loud" speakers, get speakers with a sensitivity greater than 90dB. With a mid- to upper-end receiver like the 1020, wattage is the last thing you should be concerned about. 8 ohm impedance and high sensitivity are the only specs to look at. After that, it's all about how it sounds to you.

Find a dealer that has models in your price range and bring your own music (any decent dealer will allow you to bring your own material to listen to). Other common brands to consider include Paradigm, PSB, Polk... the list goes on and on.

As for the subwoofer, I would suggest staying away from the Klipsch models (or any other "speaker" brand of subwoofer - Polk, Yamaha, etc.) and instead go with a subwoofer from a dedicated manufacturer (lava is popular as of late, and the Dayton models from parts-express are a great budget alternative). Does the $800 include the subwoofer?

Unlike your front three speakers, the subwoofer does not have to "match" any other speakers in your system. For subwoofers, it's all about moving air - so bigger is better (10" minimum) and pay attention to frequency response. Low end extension in the lower 20's at +-3dB is good.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I second what Jason said, speakers are a very personal choice. And avoid Bose.

But since you mentioned Axiom, I have to add that I like mine very much. (I only have the M22 & M3 bookshelfs.) The entire line is known to be very neutral though, so if you are looking for a mid-bass boost, they might not be your best choice. People who have purchased their M80 have said they do not require a sub. Also, the M80 is a 4 Ohm speaker, so your receiver would have to be rated for 4 Ohm. The Axiom message board is fairly active, so you could post specific questions there.

Crkondash675

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
Thanks for all the advice so far. I purchased the vsx-1020-k and a pair of axiom floorstand m50 v3's. So now it just still comes down to the subwoofer. I have been looking at a few other 10-12" woofers and am trying to find one under $350. Svs seems to be a good brand but they are a bit pricey. Any advice on those size woofers to get some good deep bass response for music purposes? Thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't have a lot of experience with subs. The first two I purchased came with the set of satellites. I was lucky, the Harman/Kardon for my main system was very good. For a bedroom I purchased a low end Polk sub that was so bad I had to return it. When I was researching late last year, the Lava and Velodyne came up as decent lower priced options. I wound up getting the Hsu STF-2 because it went lower (25Hz +/-2 db as compared to 32Hz for the others) and have been very pleased (it's used in a small-medium sized room though, 16x14).

After my purchase I read that some recommend a non-ported model when used primarily with music; others say it doesn't matter, it just depends on the quality of the sub. I throw it out there so you know it's a option.

I hate to go here, since you've made a (good) selection and I don't want to be counter productive ... but most people who go the Axiom tower route recommend the M60 over the M50, it's a major jump (moving to the M80 is not as significant a jump). It has the added 51/4 driver, and since you mentioned mid-bass, it may be a boon for you too. Since you are using this for music, the sub isn't as critical. You might consider going with the M60 and holding off on the sub. (When I got the Hsu sub at Christmas it was $300 plus shipping, so they do occaisionally run specials). Axiom is very friendly (my wife surprised me with a VP100 for Christmas and mentioned that she actually enjoyed talking to the Axiom reps when she was trying to figure out what to get), they won't mind changing the order; and if it's shipped I think they'll pay for upgrade return shipping. I *highly* recommend checking out the Axiom forum and let them know what your situation is, they friendly and knowledgeable.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With that budget a Lava 12 should satisfy you unless you are a complete bass nut. I recommended it in another thread and it turns out that they offer a discount to HTF members - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/309232/picking-a-sub-for-small-5-1-surround-system

Crkondash675

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
Well i think im just going to stick with the m50s for now because im not that particular about the midbass and i dont have an extra $250 to spend now. I think i will use the towers for a while and determine if they need a sub because I am a bit of a "bass nut". I will likely end up getting the 12" lava with that discount over the summer or fall because that seems like a great deal.

One more question, when i end up buying a few more speakers is it acceptable to get bookshelf speakers as the surround speakers because in axioms case they are significantly cheaper. I am thinking of getting a pair of axiom m2s ($316) for my rear and/or side speakers of my 7.1 setup, instead of the QS4/QS8 ($440/$558) respectively. Those would add the 5&1/4" woofers to the setup along with the dual 6&1/2"s of the towers. Again i am mainly using for music and would not be too concerned how they sounded when a movie was playing. Would this sound weird?

thanks a ton

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
is it acceptable to get bookshelf speakers as the surround speakers

Absolutely, bookshelfs are perfectly fine as surround speakers. The QS4/QS8 are considered a bit better for the side surround for movies (not necessary for the rears); but if that's not a driver for you the M2/M3/M22s would work fine, in fact, probably preferrable. I use the M3 and M22 as the main speakers in two different systems and am quite happy; so you won't be losing anything in that regard.

Onec again though, I find myself forced to try and spend your money - the M3 or M22 are much better musically. The M2 is a fine rear for movies; but I wouldn't add it to a primarily music system. The M3 has a mid-range boost, so for you, that would be my choice.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Bookshelves for surrounds is perfectly fine - it's what many of us do. Some people prefer the diffuse sound produced by dipole/bipole speakers for the surrounds in a 5.1 setup (placed to the sides of the listening position) but they tend to be a bit pricier than direct radiating (regular) bookshelf speakers.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FWIW, I use QS8's for my sides and rears. They work great for both. I would suggest getting the QS4's for the sides and forgo the rears for now. IMO, the QS4/8's are the strength of the Axiom lineup.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
For bang-per-buck sound quality, I'd look at Axiom (mentioned above), nOrh (look at the drums, though they are not floorstanders), Ascend Acoustics. Swan and AV123 ELT series floorstanders are great (though AV123 is now defunct, you might still be able to find some on the used market). the AV123 X-Static floorstanders could probably be had within your budget and are amazing.

Lots of good choices in this price range. I am partial to the internet-direct companies myself. Those speakers are harder to audition because you might need to find an owner in your area to listen, but it's worth the effort.

SVS is making some boxed speakers these days. They have a great reputation, but I have not listened to anything personally besides their subs (which I heartily recommend).

Have fun!

John

Here's a pic of the X Static floorstanders. They are an open-baffle design.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Cory

With all of this talk of speakers I don't see any discussion about your center channel. This is a very important part of your front stage as it covers much of the dialog of Video material. Since it is important that the center channel be timbre matched to your L & R and you seem interested in Axiom, you should eye ball their center channel line and pick one that will go with the L & R speakers you select.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
johng316 said:
Lots of good choices in this price range. I am partial to the internet-direct companies myself. Those speakers are harder to audition because you might need to find an owner in your area to listen, but it's worth the effort.
John, IMO, an in home audition is much better than an in store one. The environment changes the way speakers sound so there's not surefire way of knowing how they sound if you don't audition in your home. Most ID companies give you 30 days to try the speakers in your house. Many better speaker shops will allow in-home demos as well.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Originally Posted by David Willow

John,

IMO, an in home audition is much better than an in store one. The environment changes the way speakers sound so there's not surefire way of knowing how they sound if you don't audition in your home. Most ID companies give you 30 days to try the speakers in your house. Many better speaker shops will allow in-home demos as well.[/QUOTE]

David,

Completely agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks