What's new

Before Sunrise/Sunset (1 Viewer)

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to comment that I think Warner has missed an opportunity to move copies of the Before Sunrise DVD. The sequel, Before Sunset, just bowed in theaters and has been receiving very positive reviews. Most of the reviewers mention that the first film should be seen prior to viewing the sequel. Makes sense, right? The problem: the Before Sunrise DVD is currently out of stock just about everywhere. None of the B&M retailers in my area (Best Buy, Suncoast, Circuit City, Coconuts, etc.) have any copies, and all of the online retailers I checked are out of stock too.

Since it is almost customary these days to re-release a movie on DVD when its sequel hits theaters, I found it odd that I couldn't locate a copy of this title before going to the sequel. I suppose it could be because this is a smaller, arthouse film, but I doubt everyone who might be interested in the second film saw the first one.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Warner's window of opportunity for a tie-in of Before Sunrise isn't exactly over yet though. I wouldn't be surprised to see them put together a "Sunrise, Sunset" box when the new film hits DVD. Besides that, the current version of Sunrise is featureless, and Linklater likes commentaries and other supplements. Hopefully, Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy can put something together with both films before the end of the year.

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
Before Sunrise is one of my favorite films from the nineties. A special edition of it would be great, but a boxset with Sunset would be even better! Sunset isn't out here yet in the Netherlands but I can't wait to see it.

Mind you, Sunrise is still very much worth picking up on DVD if you can find it. It might not have any extra's to speak of, but it's got a very nice anamorphic transfer. Btw Ralph, I just checked eBay and you can still get it there.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've been hoping that the upcoming "SLACKER" DVD indicates an ongoing relationship between Linklater and Criterion, but I suspect Warner won't relinquish the rights.

But a Sunrise/Sunset DVD set would be just perfect. Commentary track by Linklater, Krizan, Delpy and Hawke, for sure, and hopefully including Lee Daniel (Linklater's longtime cinematographer from the Austin days).

I've seen some damn good movies in the theaters already this year (Hero, Kill Bill 2, Dogville, the undubbed/uncut Godzilla), and "Before Sunset" is as good as any of 'em, and better than all the rest. It really deserves an excellent DVD set, even if a Criterion release is just too unlikely to hope for.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Capable, yes. But willing to go the extra mile for a small film that will be seen by relatively few people? I've got my doubts. They didn't exactly lavish "Before Sunrise" with the same treatment that Criterion is giving to "Slacker", did they?

Or do you know something about their plans, Kevin?

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Can't say I do. However, Warner sure has been giving great care to older and obscure titles, whether it's something like The Film Noir Collection or creating SE's for two of Scorsese's most obscure films, After Hours and Who's That Knocking At My Door?.

They might not be packed with bonus features, and film buffs will most likely be familiar with the above titles, but I think it says something that WB is willing to go the extra mile and put out sparse but worthwhile bonus material on those films--films that are most likely unknown to the average consumer.

I think, at the very least, WB will reissue the same Sunrise DVD when Sunset is announced. Truth be told, outside of the trailer and a commentary track with the participants you listed, I'm not sure what else could be included, extras-wise; did Linklater ever mention deleted scenes for the movie?

There have been SE's of all of Linklater's movies (aside from The Newton Boys) that are either out right now (Tape, School of Rock, Waking Life, etc.) or on their way (Dazed and Confused, Slacker)...since Sunrise is one of his most acclaimed films, I can't imagine not seeing a SE of it somewhere down the line.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'm glad someone else finally brought this up. Before Sunrise is my favourite movie that doesn't have a special edition DVD, and I've been hoping for a long time that the sequel will lead to one. I despise Slacker and was very disappointed to hear that it's getting special edition treatment while Before Sunrise still does not.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
It appears that all Landmark Theaters which are showing Before Sunset are offering Before Sunrise for $11.99. I would wait, however, until at least the end of the year. I would be quite surprised if the otherwise scarce Before Sunrise DVD was not being phased out to make way for a new edition.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy to see Digitalbits.com has now announced that Before Sunset will be released on DVD on November 9, and that a 2 pack with both Before Sunset and Before Sunrise will also be released on the same day. Now I'm just wondering if the Before Sunrise in that 2 pack will be a special edition! If that is announced, it will be the best DVD news of the year for me.

I hope the only reason that it has not been announced as a special edition is because the public doesn't have too many details about it yet, and they will be made known eventually. I guess even if the movie is still "bare bones" like its previous DVD release, the 2 pack will still be nice, but I'll be really disappointed if neither of the 2 are special editions. Why wouldn't the director have interviews and other special features added to Before Sunrise after getting the cast back for the sequel?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Funny this comes up - I just saw Before Sunset for a second time last night. And it was even better than the first time I saw it...

Jason Guardiano

Stunt Coordinator
I got Before Sunrise at Best Buy for 5.99 in Porter Ranch, CA about 2 weeks ago. They had a good amount of them too.

Will the 2-pack be snappers or keep cases? ehehe

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Same experience at a Landmark Theater here, Jeff: Before Sunrise on sale in the lobby for $11.99.

Per The Bits Friday, there's a November 9 release of a $35.98 2-fer; same day as the $27.95 Before Sunset; no details at the Bits on the latter's supps yet.

-p

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Any updates on whether new versions will be coming out in the near future? All I see are the 2 movies packaged together in their separate cases.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I now expect it to take years until Before Sunrise gets a proper "special edition" DVD release...probably as part of a 3 pack once there is a trilogy formed by a sequel to Before Sunset. The sequel hasn't been announced, but it seems likely. I'm quite certain that this will be the DVD I want most that I will have to wait longest for, but it'll be worth the wait.

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator

Linklater has talked about a possible third entry, but that'd be in another 9 years or so.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Our best hope to getting an SE on these two films would be if they decided to push it w/ the new Linklater movie "A Scanner Darkly". But since he's not an A-list director (aka Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola) I doubt they'd do a tie in w/ the new movie. By not A-List I mean name-recognition, not talent, btw.

It probably won't be until HD-DVD that we'll get a good transfer of these movies (not that the DVDs are terrible, they're just not great or even very good transfers).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You know what, maybe it's the mood i'm in I don't know, but i'm so sick of directors being put into classes like "A List" and so forth. Linklater makes damn fine films, every bit as entertaining and well made as a Spielberg or Scorcesse and yet this film get's not the proper respect it deserves on DVD simply because he's not "A-List". :frowning:

I'm sorry, I know that "that's the way it is and that's how Hollywood works...blah blah blah" but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean I have to take it lying down. It just irritates me to no end.

I freaking LOVE Before Sunrise, it's in my top ten best list for my entire film watching life and would pay booku bucks for a good SE.

No SE of Before Sunrise, but for routine mainstream romance crap like My Best Friends Wedding, they get commentaries and all sorts of added content. :rolleyes

Trust me, folks, i'm far from whining, just stating an observation.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I found Before Sunrise in a Walmart bargain bin for 5 or 6 bucks (don't remember the exact price), but I wouldn't mind picking it up again if Warner reissues it along with Before Sunset in a nice keepcase 2-pack or digipak.

-D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There are supposed to be some other region double-packs comingo out, but I don't believe any of them will be sporting any new special features. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks