What's new

Bad time to buy (1 Viewer)

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Hello - sure looks like supplies are very low. Thinking if not in a hurry this is a bad time to buy as it appears the selection of many components are limited. I’m assuming this is going to drive up pricing as well. Others finding this?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, bad time to buy a lot of things, especially electronics of all types. From iPads to dishwashers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bad time to buy new perhaps but not necessarily a bad time to find gently used options. That's always where I look first, even in better times.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Comes down to whether you particularly want / need new gear. If you’re just window shopping but don’t really need anything, it’s going to be easier to wait a year or two (but probably won’t be cheaper).

But if say, you‘re still watching on a 27” SD CRT, there are gray 4K TVs and projectors to be had, and it’s probably not worth trying to wait out pandemic shortages.

I want a new 4K projector. I’m waiting longer to try and get demos, and stock is super low. But pricing is what it is, and when I’m ready to buy, I’ll put an order in. I’m not going to wait just on pricing — I don’t expect prices to go back down next year.

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Bad time to buy new perhaps but not necessarily a bad time to find gently used options. That's always where I look first, even in better times.
So to your point, how do you know if speakers will match well together or would I buy an entire used 5.1? If I were to build in pieces and look for slightly used I guess I’d want to upgrade the center, add a another sub and probably replace the receiver.
Thank you for your assistance

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Comes down to whether you particularly want / need new gear. If you’re just window shopping but don’t really need anything, it’s going to be easier to wait a year or two (but probably won’t be cheaper).

But if say, you‘re still watching on a 27” SD CRT, there are gray 4K TVs and projectors to be had, and it’s probably not worth trying to wait out pandemic shortages.

I want a new 4K projector. I’m waiting longer to try and get demos, and stock is super low. But pricing is what it is, and when I’m ready to buy, I’ll put an order in. I’m not going to wait just on pricing — I don’t expect prices to go back down next year.
Good points. Thanks

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So to your point, how do you know if speakers will match well together or would I buy an entire used 5.1? If I were to build in pieces and look for slightly used I guess I’d want to upgrade the center, add a another sub and probably replace the receiver.
Conventional wisdom suggests you buy at least the front three [LCR] from the same manufacturer and product line. The surrounds and subs can be mixed and matched within reason.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

What exactly are you looking for though?

Speakers probably aren't affected too much by the pandemic at this point near as I can tell. And if you're buying a low/mid-tier AVR, might not be affected quite that much either, except probably less generous discounts (and fewer closeout deals) than in the past...

At least some speaker brands still seem to be going on their usual discounted pricing and/or recurring sales, eg. ELAC speakers seem to keep going on sale pretty much just as before the pandemic (and I bought mine at great prices direct from them last summer)...

I normally also consider used gear, but might not be worth bothering unless you're looking for something higher-end instead of low/mid-tier -- maybe check out refurbed gear in that case...

_Man_

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams

Speakers probably aren't affected too much by the pandemic at this point near as I can tell. And if you're buying a low/mid-tier AVR, might not be affected quite that much either, except probably less generous discounts (and fewer closeout deals) than in the past...

At least some speaker brands still seem to be going on their usual discounted pricing and/or recurring sales, eg. ELAC speakers seem to keep going on sale pretty much just as before the pandemic (and I bought mine at great prices direct from them last summer)...

I normally also consider used gear, but might not be worth bothering unless you're looking for something higher-end instead of low/mid-tier -- maybe check out refurbed gear in that case...

_Man_
Conventional wisdom suggests you buy at least the front three [LCR] from the same manufacturer and product line. The surrounds and subs can be mixed and matched within reason.
makes sense thanks

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams

_Man_
Looking to upgrade 5.1 and the receiver. Looking to spend around $20k so not sure what level that would be considered

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As others said, it's not the greatest time simply due to limited availability, which drives up prices. That's more with electronics than speakers. Still, like Dave said, if you need stuff there's no major reason to wait. Just realize it might take a while to get what you want.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Probably start w/ the questions over in this stickied thread first, if you're still thinking to start shopping now...

... and more additional details might help...

_Man_

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Probably start w/ the questions over in this stickied thread first, if you're still thinking to start shopping now...

... and more additional details might help...

_Man_
Posted there recently but no response. Here are my details

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 20x20

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes but will upgrade everything

What's your budget (low to high): $15k-20k

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? If spending more than indicated she might get upset so would like to stay in that range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks