BACK TO THE FUTURE 2-Disc Special Edition DVD coming in February

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stephen_Clark, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Stephen_Clark

[​IMG]

Universal Studios will be releasing a 2-Disc Special Edition DVD of Back to the Future on February 10, 2009 with all new bonus features, including Back to the Future...The Ride, the new documentary Looking Back to the Future, and the TV Special Back to the Future Night hosted by Leslie Nielsen.

Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III being released as single disc collections too.

Complete details available at BTTF.com.

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Yeah! Another re-issue!

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Well, since the original DVD came out in 2002 and has never been available outside of the boxed set, I don't see this re-issue as something about which to complain. It's not like this is Universal's 14th release of the flick on DVD...

4. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

How is it a re-issue? The film has never been available individually and I never picked it up because of that fact.

5. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I applaud Universal for putting out these movies as separate releases. However, I'm not as happy that bonus material is showing up on the 2-disc special edition that was not in the 3-movie set. I will not double dip for the new features, but I would like to see the Ride featurette.

6. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    This sounds great, but I'm holding out for the BD which will hopefully be released day and date alongside the DVD.

7. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

I already have trilogy box set. The only way I would double dip would be for Blu-ray releases.

8. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    The SD trilogy is probably a better value. They must have made millions of them, because it seems like I've seen it priced at $20 or less for the past 3 years. The individual sets will certainly be higher than the previous trilogy.

But I'm holding out for the BD version. Hopefully it comes out at the same time.

9. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I think it's cool that they're including the entire "Back To The Future: The Ride" film as a bonus feature. That would look pretty wild on my big screen I would imagine, but I'm unsure if it would be worth a double dip alone since I already have the trilogy set.

10. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I'll snap up the BD in a heartbeat, but won't double dip on the DVD. I'm not holding my breath for a BD release though. [​IMG]

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

As a huge BTTF fan (and member of BTTF.com), I really really wanted to see a BD release announcement. Since it appears it's not in the cards right now, I have no choice but to spring for the 2 disc SE. I MUST see those new bonus features.
    If and when the BD ever comes out, I'll buy again. Yes, I'm Universal's bitch.

12. donnie_d

donnie_d Stunt Coordinator

no boxset for all the 3 movies? booooo

13. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    I hear there is not a Blu-ray release in sight at this time. It must be the Spielberg producer's curse. No double dipping here either.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Same here. I'll gladly buy a movie that's new to DVD (if a movie has taken 11 years to come to DVD, a Blu-ray probably isn't too high on a studio's to-do list) but I'm not buying a re-release when it's a huge catalog title like BTTF.

15. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    deleted by me...

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

The trilogy has probably the worst box art I have seen from any major Studio(Jurassic Park from Universal was also a doozy). The huge Back to the Future logo slapped on a completely blue background with a small image in the corner. Yikes!!

17. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Why don't they wait until 2010 and do a 25th Anniversary SE?

Unless their plan is to do a 6-disc box set for 2010 on both SD and BD.....

Forgot to say that I'll probably pick up the 2-disc SE of the first movie and give my current DVD to someone else.

18. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Slightly off topic but can anyone explain why Speilberg waits to release his movies on dvd and blu-ray? Does he get a cut of the profits but only for a certain length of time or does he just like to look online and think "Wow! My 30 year old movie that everyone has seen a thousand times sold 2 million copies this week. Damn, I'm good!" His films would certainly help push people to adopt blu-ray. It seems silly to me.

As for this release I'm interested in the extras (never got to go on the ride and I've been dying to see it for years) but I might wait for the price to drop before I get it. A 2 for $20 sale would push me to re-buy it.

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The average media release racks up most of its sales in the first month or so of release, when it's being advertised, showing up in the "new release" section, and otherwise getting prime shelf space. Spielberg, Lucas, Disney, etc., tend to feel they're better off waiting for the upside of that being several million sales rather than several hundred thousand.

20. Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf Stunt Coordinator

I guarantee I paid less for the trilogy set than this will retail for.

So why are all you hi-def'ers in here moaning? Don't you have your own forum for that now?[​IMG]