What's new
World Wide Stereo

B4 Plus & Carver M500T?? (1 Viewer)

ArtH

Stunt Coordinator
My B4 Plus has arrived but I am still waiting to buy an amp..I have a Carver M500T amp lying around but I am not sure if this thing can be bridged into 4 ohms..Anybody know??

Thanks

728x90

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Art,
Is the B4 a nominal 4 ohm load? I wouldn't use the Carver bridged into that load. Not that some of the older Carver amps weren't good, but they just weren't made to drive that type of load. I take it that you didn't find one of the "non-fan" pro amps that you were inquiring about? I know that it isn't my money, but I would recommend getting a rock solid pro amp. You may spend a little more now, but the amp should last as long as you have the B4 sub, then longer.
JP

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Might want to consider the Samson 2000 pro-sound amp (1200 watts per side @ 4 ohms), available from music instruments vendors, in lieu of more costly power amps.
Got one to drive my 8-SVS 16/46 subs. The thing is build like the proverbial battleship and is quite affordable to boot...

-THTS

ArtH

Stunt Coordinator
The B4 is a 4ohm load...Would I be causing harm to the amp or the sub????

Thanks

AH

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
You would be more likely to hurt the Carver than the B4, even if you clipped the amp (which may or may not happen.) The problem you would most likely face is that the Carver would go into protection mode because of the impedance situation or heat build-up. I don't remember what protection schemes those Carver amps had, but it certainly won't "like" running at an effective 2 ohm load. If you don't really value the Carver, just try it for a little while. If if it doesn't work, then look into a solid pro amp that fits your needs (I would highly rec. a model that is fanless.)
JP

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
ArtH,

Since you seem quite concerned about the B4+ sub versus amp compatability issues, may I suggest you get the Crown amp (s) SVS have found to be a good match for such monster sub design? They know better! Also, it seems that Crown amps are practically indestructible. Just a thought...

-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.