What's new

‘Avatar 2’ Renews Push for 3D Format in Movie Theaters (1 Viewer)

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Is the tide turning back around for 3D? There is going to be a major push for 3D on certain titles. The National Association of Theatre Owners along with some studios are all for it.

Very interesting article in The Hollywood Reporter.
A must-read for 3D fans.

Warming up 3D has to be done thoughtfully and carefully,” says Imax Entertainment president Megan Colligan. “There were a lot of lessons learned. You’re not going to see every movie converted. We are really working with the studios and exhibitors to figure out how to get people used to it again. James Cameron understands the medium — 3D creates a richer, deeper experience when it serves the story. Intention is everything.”

Attachments

76.1 KB · Views: 20

YANG

Screenwriter
with the initial Avatar, Cameron was trying to influence directors and cinema operators worldwide to embrace and adopt 3D, isn't it?
but... is it successful?

just the initial shooting cost is too high to handle. not to mention post shooting implementation...

the 3D making and presentation of a film may have positive response of sensory interest folks, but when it comes to pragmatic approach... it may fail to generate returns in box office earnings.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I watched an interview with Jason Goodman from 21st Century 3D who mentioned that the technological advancements for native 3D cinematography has become surprising more cost efficient in the past few years with some of the rigs capable of ultra high def, wide pan, and extremely portable for location shooting. Even with another push for 3D, more than likely the directors will nix all negative parallax (pop-out) because it's a "gimmick". When 3D became all about depth is when I quit going to theaters for 3D.

YANG

Screenwriter
theatrical hardware installation cost is one another challenge to tackle on as well... just in case Cameron had forgotten about that...

instead, Cameron could have dig into post 3D implementation technology with AI... starting with his most sought after old works:
img_20220520_133220517-3-jpg.139137

... that would really a. Technological breakthrough for. Cinematic and Home Entertainment.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It already seemed like 3D theatrical screenings had started to make a comeback recently.

As I mentioned in another thread not long ago, I've seen 2 3D theatrical screenings over the last few weeks: "Bad Guys" and "Dr. Strange". "Regular" 3D for "BG", IMAX 3D for "DS".

Already have tickets for IMAX 3D "Jurassic World".

Before this spring, I literally can't remember the last time I saw a theatrical 3D screening.

So it feels like theaters are pushing 3D harder than they have in years...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
During the first two years of the pandemic, when everyone was worried about covid transmission from simply touching things, theatres that were open pretty much totally eliminated 3D rather than risk another touch point by distributing and collecting 3D glasses. (Anybody still wiping down their groceries when they get home from the supermarket ?)

YANG

Screenwriter
i think most of the new TVs will likely be “3D-less”, leaving the “3D generating job” to playback devices and softwares... after all, making specific presentation hardware(TV or Monitor or Projector) with specific “3D Processor” embedded will be too costly to draw buyers attention.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I know two projectionists who run cinemas in Norway and they say that going back to 3D is out of the question. It is too expensive and requires extremely bright projection lamps and special silver screens. It doesn't matter whether it is polarised projection (RealD 3D, MasterImageID), Dolby 3D, or XpanD 3D. The public in general are indifferent or actively dislike 3D. The consensus, when cinemas asked for feedback ten years ago, is that it is a gimmick. Very few cinemas offer 3D now.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If it doesn't renew interest in bringing back 3D tv's then I have no interest.
Agreed, though when I recently commented on a post by LG on Instagram about wishing they still made 3D OLED displays, they liked my comment and responded "taking notes". Gives me a tiny glimmer of hope.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is no way 3D is going to make the kind of comeback everyone hopes

On the theatrical end, outside of Avatar, nobody was making films for the format. It got completely boring to watch upconverted films that only offered additional depth. As far as pop-out is concerned, directors didn't want it incorporated into their films given the gimmickry it introduced.

And, as has been discussed above, it's a very expensive process to lense films in the format.

On the hardware end, it just never caught on. And, unless there are significant advances in 3D presentation (which I don't believe there are), there is no incentive for the hardware companies to even consider revisiting a format that is already dead.

I see everyone getting all hyped up because they think Avatar is going to revitalize the industry. Truth be, those films have taken years and years to film, and since that time the format went on a downward trend.

Yes, I think 3D is going to have a significant bump upon the release of the Avatar films based on public curiosity and given the fact that Cameron is pushing for theaters to show it in the format, and that the film was lensed for it. However, after those films are long gone, it's the same old routine for everything else which follows which is simply upscaled fare.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
A lot of Avatar talk here, but isn't sports programming the killer app for 3D? I thought the NFL made a big push for it last time around.

And I would imagine the adult, er, cinema industry would also want to exploit 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks