What's new

3D How the Studios, Theatre Owners, and TV Manufacturers All But Killed 3D (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm wondering if a change to the thread name is warranted here, as theatrical 3D still seems to be alive and kicking, and shows no signs of leaving the building anytime soon. 59 releases for 2016, 67 in 2015, 66 in 2014, and so on. Only 22 announced for 2017 so far, but it's early days still.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm wondering if a change to the thread name is warranted here, as theatrical 3D still seems to be alive and kicking, and shows no signs of leaving the building anytime soon. 59 releases for 2016, 67 in 2015, 66 in 2014, and so on. Only 22 announced for 2017 so far, but it's early days still.

If you added "...All But Killed Enthusiasm For 3D" that would certainly be accurate.

I think we've kinda settled into a point where certain types of movies get done in 3D, but that 3D isn't considered as an option for most types of projects. Most summer blockbuster, superhero, and CGI animated movies get 3D releases; most everything else does not.

And I think it also depends on where you live, probably not so much because local audiences really have strong differences in preference, but probably more likely because the decision makers in certain areas do. So you've got MikeSF who posts here, and at his local theater, it's skewed so that the majority of showings for a 3D title are in 2D. Near me in NYC, it seems like theaters are usually closer to 50/50 - there are so many theaters in NYC, running from earlier in the day to later at night than theaters in most other places do. The end result is that even during its record-smashing $250 million grossing weekend, I was able to make a spontaneous choice to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in my choice of formats as a spur of the moment thing. So that's pretty awesome, but that also means my market is different than others. At other parts of this forum, I've seen people complain that they wanted to see a movie in 2D, but that their theater had far more 3D showings. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, other than that Mike's theater seems to do the same year after year, and mine seems to be the same year after year, and the other members who don't have the choices they want don't seem to be getting better options either.

larrdog

Stunt Coordinator
Just read that Disney is releasing Zootopia in a 3D combo pack. Great news. Never thought I'd see it happen. Not giving up on my 3D yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
I was wondering if their would be a resurgence in 3d when the Avatar sequels come out ? Would love too seem more film being made in 3d

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Well here it is July and we haven't heard anything more about a 3D blu-ray release of The Force Awakens. My money is on we never get this version as this is the same thing Disney pulled with Frozen hinting that a 3D special edition would come out in the fall and then it was never addressed again, even on direct questioning. It looks like Disney/Lucasfilm want to nip 3D blu-ray in the bud and not offer their current and future releases for home 3D. Seems weird as they released Zootopia in 3D but I'm getting used to their schizophrenic policy on 3D blu-ray releases. It does seem odd though that they did not even offer an overseas 3D blu-ray release of The Force Awakens and they do have the converted versions of the prequels setting there not making money. But if it made sense it wouldn't be Disney at this point.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Just read that Disney is releasing Zootopia in a 3D combo pack. Great news. Never thought I'd see it happen. Not giving up on my 3D yet.

My kids and I went to see this in 3D with my lazy eye I can't register the 3D much at all, but the kids can see it fine. They said they were both disappointed in the 3D for this movie, said it was very limited. As in barely felt used at all.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
... My money is on we never get this version as this is the same thing Disney pulled with Frozen hinting that a 3D special edition would come out in the fall and then it was never addressed again, even on direct questioning....
I have Frozen in 3D. What happened, is it discontinued or are you specifically referring to a special edition?

PS I saw Force Awakens in 3D when it came out and it was impressive in the theatre where I saw it. Awaiting the 3D Blu Ray before I buy, so Disney better release it. Have an LG 4k OLED on which passive 3D looks great (better than in theatres), and my priority for new purchases is always 3d, then 4k, then titles never existing in 3D, in that order.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have Frozen in 3D. What happened, is it discontinued or are you specifically referring to a special edition?

PS I saw Force Awakens in 3D when it came out and it was impressive in the theatre where I saw it. Awaiting the 3D Blu Ray before I buy, so Disney better release it. Have an LG 4k OLED on which passive 3D looks great (better than in theatres), and my priority for new purchases is always 3d, then 4k, then titles never existing in 3D, in that order.
Frozen was only released in territories outside the US and Canada on 3D BD.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael

Doug, Frozen was NEVER released on Blu-ray 3D in the North American Market. I had to order a copy from the UK which luckily was region free. The was no "special edition" even though Disney hinted about one on the initial home video release. This is the same situation we seeing with Star Wars. I don't think we will see a 3D home release at all and it looks like it won't see 3D home release world-wide. Someone at Disney Home Video really dislikes 3D.

Better snatch up what 3D blu-rays you can now as the it appears the studios have no real plans to continue producing Blu-ray 3D discs. Disney is just leading the way. As there is no real 4K 3D standard built into the 4K spec I don't expect we will ever see 4K 3D discs. We are a small niche market that the manufactures are just giving us the finger. It's all about 4K for them now and would they would like to pretend home 3D never existed. I can't see 4K discs selling more than 3D discs did so I don't think they will hang around long in this rotten economy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Better snatch up what 3D blu-rays you can now as the it appears the studios have no real plans to continue producing Blu-ray 3D discs. Disney is just leading the way. As there is no real 4K 3D standard built into the 4K spec I don't expect we will ever see 4K 3D discs. We are a small niche market that the manufactures are just giving us the finger. It's all about 4K for them now and would they would like to pretend home 3D never existed. I can't see 4K discs selling more than 3D discs did so I don't think they will hang around long in this rotten economy.

I totally agree. 3D has been on its way out for a long time. I am surprised it has held on this long.

Still optimistic we will see Star Wars announced for 3D release, only because of the title popularity. Still, there is no-one who has any concrete information on such plans and we are just going by what was originally announced to us.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
I totally agree. 3D has been on its way out for a long time. I am surprised it has held on this long.

Still optimistic we will see Star Wars announced for 3D release, only because of the title popularity. Still, there is no-one who has any concrete information on such plans and we are just going by what was originally announced to us.

3D disc sales are still strong, relatively speaking (outsells UHD discs by approx 50% - 75%) Both new and catalogue titles continue to be released, from JAWS 3D to MISS SADIE THOMPSON. It looks more like a resurgence than a wake to me, especially with Disney now releasing 3D titles again.

As for STAR WARS, keep in mind that it's from Lucasfilm, NOT Disney per se. Lucasfilm can release what they want (as do Pixar and Marvel).

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I was just in Barnes and Noble and they've really slashed their Blu Ray selection. I asked the clerk if they got rid of their 3D Blu Rays. He not only said he didn't know there was such a thing, but since he didn't have Blu Ray he didn't care about it at all!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm not worrying about 3D dying. I remember back when all you could get were 3D titles on video in the field-sequential 3D method. Yes, I know that some were bootlegs and some were legal. But, there were a lot more catalog titles in that method released than we have now.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I'm just very thankful that Blu-ray 3D media is so much better than yesterdays equipment efficiency was to view it. No question that the majority of consumers who have spent a sizable share of income for quality 3D are hurt by their investment.

I don't see 3D going away any time soon, but It is going to take time to replace bad artifact experiences for what can be seen today passively at home that is superior to 3D theatrical reproduction.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not optimistic but there are a couple of chances for an announcement in July at Star Wars Celebration Europe on July 15 to 17 and San Diego Comic Con the week after that.

If they are going to hold true to releasing a 3D version this year it will almost certainly be right before "Rogue One" in December (assuming the movie is not delayed). So, I don't think we're anywhere near overdue for an announcement yet.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was just in Barnes and Noble and they've really slashed their Blu Ray selection. I asked the clerk if they got rid of their 3D Blu Rays. He not only said he didn't know there was such a thing, but since he didn't have Blu Ray he didn't care about it at all!
Todd, the B&N clerk should be fired for his unhelpful attitude! He should at least have checked inventory via his computer.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have only been to a handful of B&N stores and usually order online. I find that some stores are stocked better than others, so very much a case by case situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks