What's new

3D How the Studios, Theatre Owners, and TV Manufacturers All But Killed 3D (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So is everyone content to just let that happen, or do you want to try and do something before it does?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
So is everyone content to just let that happen, or do you want to try and do something before it does?

Some of us have been complaining and writing manufactures and studios, as well as creating petitions for quite some time but right now it look like it is way to late to save 3DTV and blu-ray 3D mass releases. The combination of a poorly timed and lack luster rollout of home 3D combined with mass media outlets that basically knocked 3D almost every chance it got have led to our present lousy state of home and theatrical 3D acceptance. The haters really have won and the TV manufacturers no longer want to be bothered with a feature they have absolutely NO interest in promoting. The studios are no better with their un-promoted overpriced 3D "special" editions that even Wal-Mart no longer carries. The fact the Disney is not releasing the new Star Wars movie in a 3D edition on day one is the real nail in the coffin. They say it will be released later but I don not trust them at all when it comes to blu-ray 3D. They said the same thing about Frozen but it never materialized and I see the same thing happening here. The financial loss to Disney will be so small they can blow us 3D fans off without breaking a sweat or even returning our calls. Hopefully we can import a 3D version from a more 3D loving country. It sucks......

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
This has been an annoying day for me as I was at Best Buy and Walmart and had to see the large displays of Star Wars: The Force Awakens videos every where and not a 3D Blu-ray edition in sight. As I said before, after this massive release I don't expect we will ever hear about other editions unless they have some toy attached. Hope I'm wrong but Disney is dealing a fatal blow to home 3D and it's all going as planned. It's their way of saying don't expect Blu-ray 3D editions from Disney Home Video without having to release a press release or answer annoying questions from the people on this list.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
3D would have gotten a much-needed boost from Star Wars. At least they say it's coming, but there better be a DAMN good reason for the delay, and they better promote the hell out of it when it finally comes out!

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
3D would have gotten a much-needed boost from Star Wars. At least they say it's coming, but there better be a DAMN good reason for the delay, and they better promote the hell out of it when it finally comes out!
As noted previously, they pulled this same stunt with Frozen, which I think will end up being a bigger success than The Force Awakens. It was always rumored to be coming as a special edition in the fall. The fall came around and it was never heard from again although it was released in 3D on Blu-ray in Europe and Asia on initial release. Well at this time the Star Wars European release is April 18th and no 3D is available there either. So we will see a 3D Blu-ray special edition, perhaps boxed with the 3D versions of the prequels that already exist or as I opined above, this is Disney telegraphing to the remaining 3D TV holdouts that they consider home 3D dead and if you want to view it you can do so through one of their streaming deals. And don't kid yourself, if it does come out in 3D they won't promote it at all. You are seeing the promotion budget for this picture used up this week there isn't going to be any money left over to make the few people on this site that want the disc happy, that's why I think we'll never see this disc released or Through the Looking Glass or Need For Speed of The Finest Hours (not even released on Blu-ray 3D worldwide.....they paid for the great conversion but won't even offer it up on Blu-ray. That says a lot right there.) Don't forget Disney can point to Samsung dropping 3D from their 2016 TV lineup as proof this is a wise corporate decision. We need a niche distributor to take up the 3D slack with disk distribution deals but the economy is so bad I doubt this will happen.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Don't forget Disney can point to Samsung dropping 3D from their 2016 TV lineup as proof this is a wise corporate decision. We need a niche distributor to take up the 3D slack with disk distribution deals but the economy is so bad I doubt this will happen.
The only proof I can see from Samsung dropping 3D from their 2016 TV lineup is that people will be spared annoying 3D ineficiency. The only technology I experience where 3D gives a satisfying 2D quality-like experience is with passive OLED UHD.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
The only technology I experience where 3D gives a satisfying 2D quality-like experience is with passive OLED UHD.
That's great for you! How much does a 3D enabled UHD passive OLED cost right now? Not going to mass market those anytime soon and I don't recall seen 3D promoted as a feature on these sets even if it's there. If that's the savior of 3D TV we might as well consider it dead.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
That's great for you! How much does a 3D enabled UHD passive OLED cost right now? Not going to mass market those anytime soon and I don't recall seen 3D promoted as a feature on these sets even if it's there. If that's the savior of 3D TV we might as well consider it dead.
3D is in fine shape on passive UHD OLED displays. IMO, it rivals theatrical 3D in theaters, and with that kind of quality I don't see it going away any time soon. Judder-free 24P and I've found what causes 3D ghosting artifacts on other technologies from extremely bright pixels do not aggressively affect a single pixel around the OLED alternate image.

The take home price for a 65" passive UHD OLED is now at $4,997.00.
In contrast, the first Sony 34" WEGA 1080i HDTV in 1998 initially sold for $10,000.00.
Now better quality 1080P SMART HDTVs are even becoming reachable through mass market affordability.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The only proof I can see from Samsung dropping 3D from their 2016 TV lineup is that people will be spared annoying 3D ineficiency. The only technology I experience where 3D gives a satisfying 2D quality-like experience is with passive OLED UHD.
I have a 55" Samsung LED and it does great 3D. I don't understand what you mean by "The only technology I experience where 3D gives a satisfying 2D quality-like experience is with passive OLED UHD." What is a 2D quality-like experience with 3D?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
What is a 2D quality-like experience with 3D?
The 3D quality of the UHD 3D passive OLED is comparable to watching images in the clarity and detail of 2D mode. Crosstalk from high contrast picture composition is absent. i.e. Referring to the artifacts, perceptual in various deviations via the inefficiency inherent to direct view LCD, LED & Plasma 3D processes.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As noted previously, they pulled this same stunt with Frozen, which I think will end up being a bigger success than The Force Awakens. It was always rumored to be coming as a special edition in the fall. The fall came around and it was never heard from again although it was released in 3D on Blu-ray in Europe and Asia on initial release. Well at this time the Star Wars European release is April 18th and no 3D is available there either. So we will see a 3D Blu-ray special edition, perhaps boxed with the 3D versions of the prequels that already exist or as I opined above, this is Disney telegraphing to the remaining 3D TV holdouts that they consider home 3D dead and if you want to view it you can do so through one of their streaming deals. And don't kid yourself, if it does come out in 3D they won't promote it at all. You are seeing the promotion budget for this picture used up this week there isn't going to be any money left over to make the few people on this site that want the disc happy, that's why I think we'll never see this disc released or Through the Looking Glass or Need For Speed of The Finest Hours (not even released on Blu-ray 3D worldwide.....they paid for the great conversion but won't even offer it up on Blu-ray. That says a lot right there.) Don't forget Disney can point to Samsung dropping 3D from their 2016 TV lineup as proof this is a wise corporate decision. We need a niche distributor to take up the 3D slack with disk distribution deals but the economy is so bad I doubt this will happen.
We don't even have 3D TV, and I was shocked that Disney didn't issue a 3D version of FROZEN! This was the only Film my wife and I saw in 3D, as there was no viable 2D alternative (She does not like 3D at all, unfortunately!) at the time. I especially enjoyed viewing the wonderful 3D effects in the animated short that preceded the main feature and do feel it should be made available for home viewing!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Public apathy killed 3D. Hollywood has thrown millions (billions?) at it, but even they have to see that they're flogging a dead horse. There was a BBC radio film program a few years ago & they were talking about the year in film, & one of the contributors was a cinema manger, & he was talking about the various hits & misses, & the big disappointment of the year...3D. The BBC gave up on 3D a few years ago, it's a niche product, & not enough people are interested in it. It failed in the fifties & it's failing now, a shame if you're a fan, I'm not bothered.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Wikipedia lists 58 entries under 3D Movies 2016. Why does Hollywood insist on
challenging public apathy and beating a dead horse?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
The BBC gave up on 3D a few years ago, it's a niche product, & not enough people are interested in it. It failed in the fifties & it's failing now, a shame if you're a fan, I'm not bothered.
Since you are not bothered by the demise of 3D please don't bother to return to this thread to gloat about it as some of us enjoy it and are trying to see what's left of our niche survive a little longer. Bad form.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you are not bothered by the demise of 3D please don't bother to return to this thread to gloat about it as some of us enjoy it and are trying to see what's left of our niche survive a little longer. Bad form.
Let me intercede here and say let's stop with suggestions as to who's allowed to post in this thread. Personally, I own three 3-D displays in my home so I'm heavily invested in this technology, both monies and emotional-wise.

With that said, let's not allow our dismay to what the future holds for 3-D prevent us from practicing good forum decorum. Furthermore, whether you're 3-D fan or are not bothered by its failure that shouldn't prevent any of us from being courtesy to those that have contrary thoughts from our own. So lets stop with discourtesy for all concern. Thank you.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I agree that the prospect that a 3D Blu release for TFA has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. However one difference between TFA amd Frozen/Big Hero 6 is that Rogue One is coming in Dec so at least Disney has a Star Wars release to tie an 3D release of TFA to.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Public apathy killed 3D. Hollywood has thrown millions (billions?) at it, but even they have to see that they're flogging a dead horse. There was a BBC radio film program a few years ago & they were talking about the year in film, & one of the contributors was a cinema manger, & he was talking about the various hits & misses, & the big disappointment of the year...3D. The BBC gave up on 3D a few years ago, it's a niche product, & not enough people are interested in it. It failed in the fifties & it's failing now, a shame if you're a fan, I'm not bothered.
Talking apples and oranges to "it's failing in the fifties & it's failing now"..
There was no 3D broadcasting in the 1950's as 3D movies failed theatrically.
A current list exists of 21 3D films produced in 2016.
Production of 3D displays are declining because the majority of the mass-produced consumer 3D displays lack 3D resolving efficiency needed for acceptable quality viewing experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks