What's new

Audio/picture sync issues (1 Viewer)

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I bought a 55” Toshiba 4K UHD Smart TV.

Everything’s great except occasionally the audio is out of sync with the picture when a DVD is played from a Sony BluRay player. It also happens sometimes on broadcast tv when a channel is in Standard Def showing something old, like All In The Family.

If I pause/unpause the DVD and it sometimes corrects.

Before this Tv all components of my system worked fine on an older 32” Toshiba Smart Tv.

The only new item introduced is the 4k tv.

My sound goes thru a Yamaha receiver. U have TV audio turned down to zero.

Does anyone know how I can correct this sync issue?

Thank you
Anthony

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does the receiver have an Auto Lip Sync setting? It’s probably in the hdmi menu. Try turning it on/off.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Does the receiver have an Auto Lip Sync setting? It’s probably in the hdmi menu. Try turning it on/off.

The receiver is older, it doesn’t have on screen menus. It was manufactured before hdmi.

My blu Ray player is attached to the tv with an hdmi cable, then another cable is between the Blu-ray and the digital output of the receiver.

My cable box is attached to the tv with an hdmi cable, then another cable is between the Blu-ray and the digital output of the receiver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I doubt there’s a solution without updating your receiver.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I doubt there’s a solution without updating your receiver.

Thanks for replying. Your suggesting the sync issue is because sound is moving through the digital cables and out of the digital output of the receiver at a different speed than the image/sound thru the hdmi?

Next time it happens I will mute the receiver sound and increase the tv volume to see if there is s sync issue.

With the same setup all Blu-ray’s and hdtv images are in sync.

Any suggestions for an affordable modern receiver?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the video can be delayed by varying amounts depending on what the TV is doing, so the audio needs to be delayed to match. I don't fully understand it all, but the auto lip sync feature on newer receivers can solve the problem. They also have manual lip sync adjustments.

For affordable receivers, look into Denon, especially recently discontinued models as well as refurbished ones. You can usually find something good for around $200.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to adjust the audio sync on all my components running through my Denon X3300W receiver, and the delay is different for each component. So, your situation is not unusual -- you just need a receiver capable of allowing you to correct the issue.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I have to adjust the audio sync on all my components running through my Denon X3300W receiver, and the delay is different for each component. So, your situation is not unusual -- you just need a receiver capable of allowing you to correct the issue.

Do you have to adjust every time you play a dvd or watch an old show? Or once you adjust it’s done, a one time deal?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Do you have to adjust every time you play a dvd or watch an old show? Or once you adjust it’s done, a one time deal?
It's just a one-time adjustment for each input. Once the audio sync delay is adjusted properly, you shouldn't need to touch it again. Getting it set perfect can take some time, though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I do find that the audio on some of those old time TV show channels is frequently just off, unfortunately. The channels that play nothing but old TV shows.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do find that the audio on some of those old time TV show channels is frequently just off, unfortunately. The channels that play nothing but old TV shows.
The audio drifts out of sync when I watch games via the NHL app on my Apple TV 4K, too. However, I attribute that to the app and there is nothing I can do to correct it - - just like what you see on certain TV stations.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What I find is that on channels like Antenna the audio will be behind the video when no delay has been applied, so there’s no way to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks