What's new

Atmos for beginner ? (1 Viewer)

Kagy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Gardner
Hi, newbie here with a Covid limited budget. I'm looking at a Sony STRDH590 ( $279 ) vs a Sony STRDH790 ($349 )with Atmos as my first receiver. I only have 5 Boston speakers and 1 sub right now and will hope to upgrade to better in the future. Is the Atmos and 7 speaker option worth the extra $$? I have a recent Samsung 4k UHD. tv. Thanks

Kagy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Gardner
I am also considering the Denon AVR S750H on sale at Best Buy for $349. Any thoughts on any of these

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
If it's worth it is a subjective answer. Have you heard an actual Atmos soundtrack played back on an Atmos setup ? That would give you an idea of what to expect. Atmos can be quite subtle on certain films and often helps fill out the soundstage without a lot of height specific effects. If you're one of those guys who wants sound constantly coming out of the extra speakers because you paid for extra speakers, then Atmos is likely not for you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find that an Atmos receiver with an Atmos soundtrack is more immersive, even with a non-Atmos speaker setup. There's data to support that, since Atmos steers sounds differently, even if you don't have any overhead speakers. So, that's a point for getting the Atmos capable model.

In general, I'd suggest Denon over Sony anyway. Only you know how much the extra $70 will strain you, but in those low price receivers, a small increase in cost tends to have significant benefits.

Kagy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Gardner
Thanks Rob W , I am not aware if I have heard anything played back on Atmos. We mostly stream movies and an occasional blu-Ray. The extra $$$ were not the deciding factor, future expansion is what I wondered about

Kagy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Gardner
Thanks JohnRice, I see some negative reviews on all 3 but thought maybe the Denon had a better reputation. Wish I could go to a higher level but now is not the time. Any recommendations on a next step up from the $350 level ? Might wait another few weeks to come up with more $$.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks JohnRice, I see some negative reviews on all 3 but thought maybe the Denon had a better reputation. Wish I could go to a higher level but now is not the time. Any recommendations on a next step up from the $350 level ? Might wait another few weeks to come up with more $$.
That is a hell of a deal on the Denon 750. It's a recently discontinued model, which doesn't matter. That's exactly how to get great deals. There are no deals on higher models, so you go up to $600 for one step up. Personally, I'd grab one of the Denon 750s while you can.

bocat

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I got the Denon 750 as well, and I love it. Easy set up, and the sound quality is excellent. I had a Pioneer SC-71, which was very nice, but the Denon is much more user friendly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks guys, I pulled the trigger on the Denon 750
Did you receive it yet? I was tempted by that as a new receiver for the bedroom, but it was gone so fast I missed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks