Asteroid City (2023)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Asteroid City

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Director: Wes Anderson

Cast: Margot Robbie, Jason Schwartzman, Tom Hanks, Scarlett Johansson, Bryan Cranston, Tilda Swinton, Adrien Brody, Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Rupert Friend, Steve Carell, Jeffrey Wright, Matt Dillon, Liev Schreiber, Maya Hawke, Tony Revolori, Sophia Lillis, Fisher Stevens, Hope Davis, Steve Park, Jake Ryan, Ethan Josh Lee, Seu Jorge, Celia Bermejo, Brayden Frasure

Plot: Plot unknown. Rumored to be a love story set in Europe.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Inga Parkel
Fri, 22 July 2022 at 4:47 pm·1-min read

6e2696b1ef5f3a602b82c7c05e3fa9c8

Bill Murray dropped out of Wes Anderson’s new film, Asteroid City, due to Covid
In this article:

It has been revealed that Bill Murray dropped out of Wes Anderson’s forthcoming film Asteroid City due to Covid.
The director’s newest movie will be a “poetic meditation on the meaning of life”. Set in a fictional American desert town around 1955, it will tell the story of the town’s Junior Stargazer convention and the students and parents it brings together.
The 71-year-old actor has starred in many of Anderson’s past films, including The Grand Budapest Hotel, Fantastic Mr Fox, and more, so his absence from the recent cast announcement on Wednesday (20 July) didn’t go unnoticed.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, "due to COVID" is a bit ambiguous. Does Murray HAVE COVID? Is he just concerned about working on a film set BECAUSE of COVID? Whatever the reason, I'm disappointed. I would have really enjoyed seeing him in another Wes Anderson role.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, "due to COVID" is a bit ambiguous. Does Murray HAVE COVID? Is he just concerned about working on a film set BECAUSE of COVID? Whatever the reason, I'm disappointed. I would have really enjoyed seeing him in another Wes Anderson role.

My guess would be he had a small part that required maybe a few days of shooting. Probably in order not to hold up the production he dropped out due to testing positive for Covid. I love Murray so would have enjoyed him being in this picture as well. Seems many actors want a chance to be in an Anderson picture so he was probably replaced with someone interesting. This film does have a huge cast.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are they trying to bury this on purpose? Also opening next June: Transformers Rise of the Beasts, The Flash, Indiana Jones 5, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, and Elemental (Pixar).

Shouldn't this be an awards darling released in the late fall?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Are they trying to bury this on purpose? Also opening next June: Transformers Rise of the Beasts, The Flash, Indiana Jones 5, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, and Elemental (Pixar).

Wow, all of that is coming in June? That makes it a pretty rough month for all of those pictures. I think maybe the Anderson picture being in June as well is an attempt at counterprogramming. Of those, I am interested in the Indiana Jones picture, even though I felt the last Jones film was pretty terrible on several levels. However, the new Jones trailer at least looks better than the last film.

So, I will see the Anderson picture in June and probably the Jones picture. I have no interest in the others.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wow, all of that is coming in June? That makes it a pretty rough month for all of those pictures. I think maybe the Anderson picture being in June as well is an attempt at counterprogramming.
Yeah, it's counterprogramming and I think Moonrise Kingdom opened in the summer too. Also, I don't know that a Wes Anderson movie is going to really do that much better at one time than another. He's got his fanbase and they'll show up whether it's March or June or December.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
New synopsis:

Thousands of years ago an asteroid fell from the sky, creating a huge crater, in the centercentre of which a piece of asteroid rock remains. Once a year, a convention is held on the site, attracting astronomers, teachers, familes, families with would-be teenage astronomers – as well as military personel personnel. As the stars begin to align, events occur which are startling, and completely unexpected. This is Anderson at his comic best; it is also suffused with the grief caused by the death of the mother of one of the families – giving the film a profound emotional impact.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Nice for Wes to tell us the cameras he used to shoot Asteroid City with in the trailer. Makes it really easy to update the IMDB page!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse and Elemental are the two I'm most interested in in that frame.

I might go see this pic too; however, the trailer isn't doing much for me. Anderson's thing for making his live action movies look like four colour comic strips is starting to get stale.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks