What's new

Aspect ratio list site (1 Viewer)

MattFewins

Auditioning
Now I know I'm not the only one who has run into this problem: you are are your favorite large DVD retail chain looking for a good lower budget movie to hold your attention and wallet over until next Tuesday. You pick up one that looks interesting (something like Leprechaun or Child's play), only to see the back say something to the effect of 'modified to fit your TV.' Now you can only wonder if A. The movie was filmed with a 1.33 aspect ratio and it's a mislabeling or B. It's another pan and scam. The last time this happened to me, I was considering picking up Child's Play and I saw this. Then it dawned on me: wouldn't it be great if there was a site that listed original aspect ratios of many, if not all movies? You would think this would be a feature on IMDB, since they list things such as even the original audio format. If anyone knows of such a site, by all means, post it here, and you will be my best friend until next Tuesday. If not, I can only hope IMDB or someone else adds this feature soon, so that I can stop wondering things such as if Dumb and Dumber is actually a matted widescreen or if they just matted the pan and scan.

Matt Fewins

John Watson

Screenwriter
AR should be a basic element of info about a movie.

I detest the packages that state the movie is widescreen, but don't specify the AR.

I find Amazon listings, partucularly about upcoming releases, less and less informative. Lack of AR info is just one of the failings.

This is supposed to be the Information Age, but we just get further and further behind!

:frowning:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but IMDB does list aspect ratio under the Technical Specs section for each movie. From what I've heard...they're not aways right, but it's a start.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Yeah, Imdb has aspect ratios for most major movies at least... And if there is no info in Technical specs, maybe you can find it under Laserdisc or DVD info. If not, guess you're out of luck for that particular title...

MattFewins

Auditioning
The IMDB technical specs is exactly what I'm looking for. Never really paid any attention to the side bar there and there is a bunch of other useful info, like production and distribution companies.

Thanks,
Matt Fewins

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks