What's new

Are you buying Leopard? (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Picked up Leopard Family Pack today at Fry's. Already installed it on my PowerMac G5 (typing on that now) and on my MacBook Pro. Will install on my wife's Aluminum iMac and my souped-up Mac Mini HTPC this weekend. Both installs went smooth as glass and each took approx. 50 minutes from beginning to end.

Brief observations:
Mail is MUCH faster!
Spell check in Safari! YES!
Folder icons look too "classic". As in, they look like they came from Mac OS 7!
Translucent menu bar doesn't work well with certain desktop pictures. I'd prefer the option to make it opaque.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah, my doppleganger! I look forward to more comments: My wife has a dual G5 and I've got a new MacBook Pro. Glad to hear your G5 system went smoothly. I'm more worried about issues with my wife's machine than mine. (She's doing freelance work; and I have higher tolerance for computer weirdness.)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Here is a must read review. The absolute in the guts of Leopard review I've yet seen. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: the Ars Technica review

I haven't finished reading it yet but it's very interesting and gets a bit technical. After I got past the eye candy topics (Leopards GUI) it got more into the OS's underbelly. I enjoyed the 64 Bit topic but I think the FSevent topic peaked my interest the most and was really exciting (a solution to a problem with it even made me laugh it was so simple). That's as far as I got (page 8). Core Animation was next. Hope ya'll enjoy it, I sure am.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Ars review is substantial; I particularly appreciated the UI discussion.

Well, I've got Leopard, boxed on my desk. But my MBP out being repaired. I'm anxious now that I've learned that (a) Unsanity's APE can crash a Leopard install and (b) Logitech uses APE for its mouse drivers.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I believe it only affects an "Upgrade" procedure. I just ordered Leopard from Amazon today. They'll have more in stock on November 2nd (this friday) and with the free shipping option chosen it will be atleast a week before I get it. Now to order a miniStackv2 from OWC for time machine (I need a powered usb hub which it has built-in). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks