What's new

Are there any Human Resources Professionals here? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm struggling in a large company to break into HR as a recruiting coordinator, or some other entry level position, and I'm curious about others' career paths that led them into Human Resources. Anyone?
------------------
McPaul.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Paul, my degree is in Human Resources. It's very difficult obtaining HR positions that are any good in the Pittsburgh area.
My first job out of college was HR-related. I worked for a firm that focused on unemployment cost control. Companies would contract us to handle all aspects of HR. I did unemployment claims, tax account auditing and hearing representation.
In a twist of fate, I got laid off and collected unemployment! I'm working for the United States Postal Service now.
From what other HR professionals have told me, recruiting is a great start. Many HR people have started there. If you can't break into recruiting, see if you can specialize in one area of HR since it is a broad field of work.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Thanks Tom. Yes, it is extremely broad. I've tried to get my way into HR department of our company through recruiting, or even learning services, but sadly, most HR functions are in Vancouver, not Calgary. I really dont mind the move but it's horribly hard to get your name out in the HR community in Vancouver. I really don't like what i'm doing for the company now, but if I stay, it might all pay off in the end. It's just very frustrating. I'm going to go down there this week and talk to someone to try and get some advice.
------------------
McPaul.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Paul,
If you decide to go to Vancouver to work, be prepared for an increase in the cost of living, more expensive gasoline prices, paying PST, etc. Although real estate prices for condos in Kitsilano have noticeably dropped, they are still likely much higher than those in Calgary.
But, on a positive note, you get a much nicer scenery....mountains, ocean, much less snow.
Dave

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I believe it is Human Resources, not Human Relations.
This is accurate since the folks in the HR dept. pretty much lump employees in with any other type of resource such as coal, oil, timber, etc.... Basically another resource to be exploited, clearcut, strip mined and used up to make a few more bucks.
------------------
Andrew in Austin

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Here's a fine how-do-you-do..... The company I worked for up until mid-August just layed off their local HR department. Now everyone is having to deal with corporate HR who, historically, did not answer the phone, never returned messages, and were "out to lunch" 6 hours a day.
Sounds like a plot to a novel Douglas Adams should have written.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---I believe it is Human Resources, not Human Relations.---
Well, normally this would be right but where I work the "Human Resources" Dept. is called "Labour Relations"......think about that for a minute.....compare it to experiences with the typical "Human Resources" wasteland.....I'm thinking a person will see the humour in that title. :)
My experience with "Labour Relations" personnel is that they are productively useless people assigned to eliminate the few functionally productive people left. They then go on to further exploits in the ethereal regions of "management"
rolleyes.gif
which eventually results in the entire collapse of the company, followed by a rapid corporate escape from creditors into that wonderful eden, euphemistically known as "Chapter 11 bankruptcy". :)
The last part of the paragraph is an exaggeration.....but it demonstrates my "admiration" for the great qualities of "Human Resources" Departments. :)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The HR Dept. of any company is inherently EVIL! -- Don't you read Dilbert?
wink.gif

------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
sorry, didn't know this would bring this much flak.. it's not BOSE i'm working for... didn't know I'd get this reaction. I'll shut my mouth from now on.
------------------
McPaul.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I for one am sorry for my post I guess it is a bit obnoxious. I shouldn't have posted unless I had something to help you out.
Kevin C. :)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
that's cool. I guess I'm just frustrated in looking for immediate career advancement... :) isn't everyone? :)
------------------
McPaul.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I got a degree in Human Resources and Labor Relations Management, but I didn't get to do anything with it. I did train several employees at my previous employer, but all of them were eventually laid off by management, including myself. Somehow, management at all my previous employers failed to see that their employees are their most important assets.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Paul
Considering that I said LR/HR people are useless productivity-wise, you didn't seem to get too mad. You are probably a pretty decent guy, so I just want to say good luck in finding an HR position......they'll probably ruin you :) ......but there is always the exception to the rule. I hope you succeed in your quest.....I can't believe I just said that :).....but I really mean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks