Apple HomePod (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Reviews are up

Marques has become my favorite YouTube vlogger. I am extremely impressed with not only his forthright style of reviewing but with the added graphical touches the he has been bringing to his videos over the past year. The mini speakers talking to the HomePod at the start was very clever and cute.

And an important, honest point was brought out here that we have all been thinking about in the back of our minds and even mentioned in this thread...

It seems inane that Apple revives a failed product, offers no improvements to it, and throws it back out there basically at the same price point. It's is as if they are purposely setting themselves up for disaster a second time.

Sure, this $300 speaker sounds fantastic. However, it's limited to the Apple ecosystem as far as music is concerned. You can't use it as a Bluetooth device. You can't even call this a smart speaker as it has Siri, the worst voice assistant out there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As an owner of what used to be a pair of original HomePods, but now is down to one working HomePod, and am likely not going to purchase the new revision, I have a slightly different take on this.

In Marques's review, he mentioned that at its height, the OG HP had 6% of the smart speaker market share. That's obviously nowhere near dominant, but it's also not chump change. Also I remember when they sunset the OG HP there was a small but vocal minority who lamented the loss of the OG.

So my theory is this: Apple has some interest in maintaining the small niche market the OG HP appealed to. They now have an idea how big that market share is (small) so they'll likely create enough supply to meet that demand (and a reasonable amount extra in case its appeal broadens) but I highly doubt there will be Apple stores filled with hundreds of boxed HomePods.

I don't think Apple will classify this as a failure because it is such a tiny percentage of their revenue. It's more like their pet vanity project that they've already sunk R&D cost into, so why not pump out a few thousand more units for sale. It at least will use up their older A chips that are several iPhone models old. Their bottom line won't be affected in any meaningful way by less-than-stellar sales of this device.

In fact, going back to my comment about a small but vocal minority lamenting the loss of the OG, the relative lack of innovation and downsizing of tech (less drivers) almost seems like "okay we heard you, here you go, now be quiet" to that group.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I for one am glad that Apple brought the full sized HomePod back! I agree with the assessment that Apple had already invested in the R&D and there is a small fan base who love them. So it was cool Apple decided to continue to serve that segment.

And agreed that Marques’ video was fun to see the HomePods talking to each other.

By the way, I never bought one of the Apple Hi-Fi iPod speakers. I always regretted that. And the HomePod is so much better. So it’s great they are continuing.
2E61EE11-3BBD-4C5B-A3ED-A37363026873.jpeg
Apple has had a long history with audio products!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, Nelson! How retro! Kind of cool seeing that speaker again!

Really enjoyed this review. Honest and straight to the point

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
His REW measurements are pretty telling. There is a bit of a lift in the 300Hz - 2kHz range for the new HP vs. the old HP so that could definitely explain why he feels the new ones sound better, as much of what we hear in music lives in that range.

Also I don't mean to imply that the range is inappropriately boosted (though there is a bit of an upward spike between 1-2kHz), as it looks like the old HP may have had a few dips in that range.

I think he may have taken those REW measurements as a single speaker, and IME once you run them as a pair, Apple uses a different tuning. I found my OG HP to be too "bass heavy" as a single speaker, like it knew it was just one speaker so it tried to "wow" the listener with its bass performance. But once I had a stereo pair, the EQ evened out, and I got deeper--but more even--bass performance, without a peak in the mid-bass region that a solo HP gave me. I imagine the same will occur when running a stereo pair of the new HPs.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
His REW measurements are pretty telling. There is a bit of a lift in the 300Hz - 2kHz range for the new HP vs. the old HP so that could definitely explain why he feels the new ones sound better, as much of what we hear in music lives in that range.

Also I don't mean to imply that the range is inappropriately boosted (though there is a bit of an upward spike between 1-2kHz), as it looks like the old HP may have had a few dips in that range.

I think he may have taken those REW measurements as a single speaker, and IME once you run them as a pair, Apple uses a different tuning. I found my OG HP to be too "bass heavy" as a single speaker, like it knew it was just one speaker so it tried to "wow" the listener with its bass performance. But once I had a stereo pair, the EQ evened out, and I got deeper--but more even--bass performance, without a peak in the mid-bass region that a solo HP gave me. I imagine the same will occur when running a stereo pair of the new HPs.
Carlo, there's a "Reduce Bass" setting for the HomePod in the Home app. Don't know if it would apply to your single OG issue but might be worth a try.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Doug. TBH I don't listen to the HP anymore, which is why I won't be buying the new one. When I did a full 7.2.4 upgrade of the HT last year, I ended up moving most of the old system (which still performed well) into the bedroom.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So Marques review of the new HomePod is at one end of the spectrum, iJustine is at another POV given her more positive view of the HomePod. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So Marques review of the new HomePod is at one end of the spectrum, iJustine is at another POV given her more positive view of the HomePod. ;)

I don't consider iJustine to be reputable. Her entire shtick is the opening of product, screaming with delight, and gushing over it. Rarely, are her reviews in-depth.

Additionally, I have never, ever, seen her give a negative review of any product.

She's pretty much an "influencer" rather than a reviewer. And, hey, it's worked very well for her. She's one of the leading tech vloggers out there. I just view all her stuff as "fluff" journalism.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't consider iJustine to be reputable. Her entire shtick is the opening of product, screaming with delight, and gushing over it. Rarely, are her reviews in-depth.

Additionally, I have never, ever, seen her give a negative review of any product.

She's pretty much an "influencer" rather than a reviewer. And, hey, it's worked very well for her. She's one of the leading tech vloggers out there. I just view all her stuff as "fluff" journalism.
Ron, That’s a valid opinion of iJustine. And she’s done well with her channel as you’ve noted. I know that’s her style and I’ve only tuned in when I want to see what her take is on an Apple product I’m curious about and how she feels about. I’ve never or maybe once watched her reviews of Android phones or other products.

There is an aspect that I’ve wondered about with her channel. I’ve not watched or listened to her all her videos or other channels, but my impression is she’s either paying for or receives Apple products in exchange for her to review on her channel because of her large following. So she’s got all the newest Mac’s. When she got the new Mac Pro and Pro Displays, I could see she did use it for editing her videos, so she does use the Macs. So it’s good to see it’s not all going to waste. Though there is some stuff I wondered if she even uses. Must be nice!

And yes, of the videos I’ve seen, she does mostly explain the features and main uses and rarely says anything negative. I suspect she’s being positive and giving her take on the products and avoids upsetting people.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, That’s a valid opinion of iJustine. And she’s done well with her channel as you’ve noted. I know that’s her style and I’ve only tuned in when I want to see what her take is on an Apple product I’m curious about and how she feels about. I’ve never or maybe once watched her reviews of Android phones or other products.

There is an aspect that I’ve wondered about with her channel. I’ve not watched or listened to her all her videos or other channels, but my impression is she’s either paying for or receives Apple products in exchange for her to review on her channel because of her large following. So she’s got all the newest Mac’s. When she got the new Mac Pro and Pro Displays, I could see she did use it for editing her videos, so she does use the Macs. So it’s good to see it’s not all going to waste. Though there is some stuff I wondered if she even uses. Must be nice!

And yes, of the videos I’ve seen, she does mostly explain the features and main uses and rarely says anything negative. I suspect she’s being positive and giving her take on the products and avoids upsetting people.

Hi Nelson!

I am not quite sure what her arrangement with Apple is. I think most reviewers who receive Apple products have to return them. iJustine seems like a unique situation for, as you stated, she always has several current models sitting in the background in her videos. When the iPads were released, she was showing off multiple colors. I know she's one of Tim Cook's favorites as he pops into her videos while she is in Cupertino.

I mean her no harm, but personally, I have something against people who show off products without reviewing them or saying anything that could prevent them from getting more in the future. She also tends to overact with her reactions. At least Marques is calm, collected, and most importantly, honest. I have seen him slam Apple products in the past, most recently, the Apple display.

I kind of wish I could go back in time and become a product influencer. It's a great gig, but hard work if you do it correctly. Through HTF we had great access to products for reviews. These days, it's impossible to get a product unless you have the kind of YouTube subscriber numbers that Marques and iJustine enjoy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
iJustine is an extension of Apple's marketing department, nothing more.

BTW, I couldn't resist my own curioisty and ordered a 2nd Gen HomePod just to try it out. It was delivered today, and I'll be doing a comparison with one of my OGs when I find the time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed about Justine’s tendency to play to the camera and overact her reactions and mind blowing. Ha, ha! :biggrin:

Doug, will be interested in your experiences with the new HomePod!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Nelson!

I am not quite sure what her arrangement with Apple is. I think most reviewers who receive Apple products have to return them. iJustine seems like a unique situation for, as you stated, she always has several current models sitting in the background in her videos. When the iPads were released, she was showing off multiple colors. I know she's one of Tim Cook's favorites as he pops into her videos while she is in Cupertino.

I mean her no harm, but personally, I have something against people who show off products without reviewing them or saying anything that could prevent them from getting more in the future. She also tends to overact with her reactions. At least Marques is calm, collected, and most importantly, honest. I have seen him slam Apple products in the past, most recently, the Apple display.

I kind of wish I could go back in time and become a product influencer. It's a great gig, but hard work if you do it correctly. Through HTF we had great access to products for reviews. These days, it's impossible to get a product unless you have the kind of YouTube subscriber numbers that Marques and iJustine enjoy.
Ron,

Totally in sync (was that a K-pop group in the ‘70s) with your thoughts. What I’m seeing re iJustine (thinking of changing my on-screen presence to iRAH) is a cutish 39 year-old who has successfully created a persona for the web. She either has great management or is smart enough to take all her little steps via film, TV, blogging, and perpetuate that image.

Problem is, she seems to gush orgasmically over the slightest things - OMG! Removable power cable! And it smells great!

Aeons ago I bought (bad idea) a diesel Buick station wagon from a salesman who had a business card further identifying him as ”Mr. Buick.”

He literally gushed about the simulated wood sides on the beast. But when I asked him a really simple question - “How large is the fuel tank?,” he answered “How big do you think you need?”

That’s who I’m seeing here. Cute. Blonde. Perky. She could run for public office, or be a very successful TV game show host.

But would I believe anything she told me?

I’ll take Mr. Brownlee any day of the week.

And as you know, this fully applies to the majority of home video software reviewers on line. The ones who gush as they open a package, and proceed to display all six sides of the review disc packaging.

”OMG, look! The HDR logo is in GREEN!”

Peas in a pod.

I wish her well.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t follow iJustine or MKB. YouTube vloggers aren’t my jam.

But I’ll wager that you don’t stay successful in the media, especially as a woman in tech media, for 16+ years, just by being kinda cute.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's gotta be good. After all it has an Apple symbol on it and a price to match. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks