What's new

Anyone else still have the Pioneer SD-533HD5? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Are you still happy with it? And more importantly, are you running one of the new Hi-Def disc formats on it and how's it lookin?

I bought this set over 4 years ago (it's a big box RPTV). At the time, folks were praising it as one of the best sets out there.

I still love it. I think it still has the best stretch modes I've seen, Hi-Def programming looks awesome and DVDs continue to look great on it. And I dare say that I think the picture looks better than many of the newer sets I see. My Dad got a Samsung LCD two months ago, which I thought looked fine in the store, but, I gotta tell you, I think it looks a little rough displaying DVDs. It may be the player though (I bought him an under 100.00 machine).

Anyway, as most of you know (or some of you may have guessed), my set does not have any HDMI inputs. Just component. I fear it will be at least six more years until the wife lets me buy another big set... So back to my original question...

Is anyone using HD-DVD or Blu-ray with this TV? If so, how's it been looking? Are you happy with it? Is it still a huge improvement over DVD? I know there were quite a few folks ordering this set back in the day. Just wondering if you're still around.

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
hi rick..i have the 58" pioneer, and am wondering the same thing...i have mine around 4-5 years also...still a great picture...i would like to buy a hd player, but no hdmi on pioneer or my lexicon mc8

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Ric. I've been wondering the same thing. I've got the Elite Pro-510HD, very similar to yours.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 533HD5 and its been going strong for years. I had it ISF'd about three years ago and it still looks great, especially on HD cable channels. I have not jumped into the hi res disc formats yet, but will once things get settled on a format and some of the high end companies start making players.

Its a great set but unfortunately with hdmi becoming more and more important, its days are numbered, but until then, enjoy it to the hilt.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input guys. Bill, if you happen to get a Hi-def disc player before you swap TVs, let me know what you think. Or any of you folks that have similar (no HDMI) sets. Let us know what you're results are.

Along with the format war, this is the other issue keeping me from jumping onto a Hi-def disc format.

Ayan

Auditioning
Well, 3 years later and I am responding to this thread as I STILL use my Pio 533.

Picture quality is still excellent (I have always had a light-controlled room, and have kept contrast and brightness fairly low). I use this set regularly with Blu-ray and HD-DVDs and it looks great. My main complaint is that it doesn't have HDMI, and very few players upconvert standard DVDs without the HDCP.

I've been considering the HD-Fury idea, but it's an expensive investment in an old TV - if anything happens to the TV, it likely isn't going to be cost-effective to repair, so then it's another $300 down the tube for the HD-Fury setup.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've still got my Elite Pro-510HD. Still going strong.:) Admittedly, I don't watch movies on it much, since I have the projector theater in the basement, but the picture is still great, particularly with "regular" cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks