What's new

Any competitors to Netflix? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have been a (mostly) happy member of Netflix, for about 18 months now. Just wondering if there are any other places out there like this.

I don't really care about being able to have the DVDs for as long as you want, but a large selection is key.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
www.greencine.com

Their big attraction is anime and foreign titles. Netflix doesn't come close on some of their subcategories. They also carry the occasional import, like Battle Royale. and also obscure stuff like Eraserhead.

Adam

Sherry H.

Grip
I read just this morning that Wal-Mart is getting into the movie-by-mail rental business. I think they actually started a pilot program back in October and are planning to go after Netflix customers by offering a similar plan for less -- 3 movies out for $18.76 and a 2-out plan for $15.54.
I, personally, am dubious as to the selection they'll offer and whether they will offer titles in widescreen version.

If you're interested, you can read the article at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jun13.html

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Plus, Wal-Mart's company, at least on the face, seems to be a lot more strict on the issue of lost/missing discs. On their trial page sign up, they state that your credit card will be charged $17 plus tax for any lost or missing discs.

Netflix seems to be basically on the honor system for the moment, stating only that excessive reports of "lost" discs will trigger an account review. They do provide a "pay for it" option if you have legitimately lost or damaged a disc and are honest enough to admit it.

But it sounds like Wal-Mart will charge for every disc lost and leave it up to the customer to pursue any reimbursement, if available, from the Postal Service.

Jeff Gross

Second Unit
I'm taking advantage of the Wal-Mart free trial and am pleasantly surprised with their selection. They claim to have 13,000 titles which is comparable to NetFlix. I have been able to get several titles from them that NetFlix does not have (but have also found some titles that NetFlix has and they do not). I have also been able to get movies that have been very long wait for several months at NetFlix. All titles I have received have been widescreen.

One advantage to their service is they count two disc sets as a single rental. Most rental services make you rent each disc separately.

As for the concern, that Walmart makes you pay for discs lost in the mail, I am fairly certain this is a misunderstanding. If you look at the account history example:

http://www.walmart.com/cservice/dvdh...talhistory.gsp

you will see the customer was billed for the disc he lost and not for the one lost in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks