What's new
World Wide Stereo

Another Pre-wire Question re:RG6 (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
My pre-wiring is almost done but I'm not sure about RG6. I need to run RG6 for satellite, but I am also thinking of running some from my computer room for audio/digital audio and for video/high-def video. My walls and ceiling are still open, so this is the time to do it.
I really don't need a massive networking system for this audio and video, but would like to play music/video files and send pictures from the computer room to my theater area.
What kind of price should I expect to pay for RG6 for these applications and what kind of specs should I be looking at? I've come across quad sheild RG6 at the local stores like Home Depot and Rona at about 25 cents a foot, or $90cdn for a 500 foot roll? Is this worth running for audio/video at about a 50 foot length?

Thanks
KrisM

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've run a few thousand feet of RG-6 throughout my house. Four 80 foot runs from the satellite dish to my theater room where my satellite receivers are. More RG-6 and RG-59 (solid copper center conductor) from the theater room to the living room for composite video, analog audio and component video. Finally, there's single RG-6 runs to the kitchen and bedrooms for modulated video/audio.

RG-6 is almost useless with your PC. If you want to show pictures/video/audio then you should use something a networked device from Linksys, Buffalo, etc. A few of them will even stream HD over a wired network. For your wired network, CAT-5E or CAT-6 is the way to go. It's cheap so make a couple of runs. You never know when you might want multiple networked devices.

-Robert

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply.
I'm already planning on a couple of cat5 runs from the computer to the stereo area, but I don't want to get into spending too much money on a networking "system" right now. I figured the wire is cheap, so I'll run it while the walls are open and if I build a proper networking system in the future, I won't need to worry about the wire.
With the rg6, can I not run some for audio(digital or analog) and component video out of my computer? I really only want to play the odd downloaded concert, MP3 playlist or video file from the computer. Unless computer Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drives become really cheap, I plan on having proper players hooked up to my stereo system for most formats.

Thanks again
KrisM

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can run component video from your computer but that requires 3 runs of cable. Digital audio requires a 4th run. Everything I have read said that copper center conductors are the best for component video. That's why I bought 1,000 ft. of RG-59 with copper center and shielding at a surplus place on Ebay.

It will be years before wireless networks catch up with wired. I'm already planning my upgrade to a gigabit network to stream HD video to a networked player in the theater room. Even though most are wireless (like this), it will take up the full bandwidth. If anything else needs the network the video and audio will suffer. Gigabit cards and a switch are cheap compared to the rest of the theater equipment I have purchased.

-Robert

KrisM

Second Unit
Sorry, I didn't mean wireless. I just meant the wire is cheap, so I'll run it now and it will be there if I want a networking system in the future.
So rg59 is better for audio and video than rg6?

Thanks
KrisM

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Copper was better and I wanted smaller cables since I was running 3 sets of component video/analog audio (5 cables per set/15 cables total) from the living room to the theater room. I'm also using RG-6 quad shield for composite video/analog audio/subwoofer cable in my theater room without any issues at all.

-Robert

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks. If rg6 will work, I'll use that.
I'm still confused about the mz rating , though. One cable was rated to 2300mz and another to 3ghz. Could there really be a noticeable difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks