What's new
World Wide Stereo

another HD cable/DVI-HDMI question (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I recently purchased a 37" Hewlett Packard LC3760N. My cable provider is Adelphia. I contacted them to have them install the high-def cable box and asked if it supported HDMI. They said it did but it turns out that it does not; however, it did have a DVI output. I ordered a DVI-HDMI cable and received it today; prior to this I was using component connection with no problems.

Using the DVI-HDMI connection, I am now experiencing a problem. The high-definition channels display properly. Unfortunately, the standard channels appear extremely zoomed and shifted to the right of center on the display. This is not something that messing with the aspect button (which gives the option of stretching the image, etc.) has any effect on.

I reset the HD cable box hoping that it would correct the problem. No luck. I tried accessing every menu I could think of for the television. I did find something that mentioned "HDMI set up" but it did nothing to change the display; it did enable me to get audio as there was an option to use digital or analog (since I had only the DVI output I had to use analog). I tried finding options for the cable box but had no luck.

Any ideas what could be the problem? It seems there are only 3 possibilities: the tv, the cable box, or the DVI-HDMI cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. I contacted HP and - surprisingly - they responded right away. They said it sounded like a cable box problem and suggested I check out the user guide. They never game me a guide when I had it installed but it is a Motorola so I went to their website. Turns out that this unit does not support 480i when using DVI. I would hope that that is something they change as I do think the 480p picture is a little worse than what I saw in 480i over component. Now I'm thinking of going back to component and running my XBox 360 with the VGA connection. I still wouldn't have room for my PS2 until I get an HDMI dvd player, but I think I am saving for an HD-DVD player.

EDIT2: GAH! It does not appear I have a vga connection, so it looks like I'll just have to keep it as it is.

728x90

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
I've noticed that on the vast majority of cable boxes, there's very little visible difference (if any) between analog component video and HDMI/DVI video. Just run component video and a separate digital audio cable to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks