What's new

Advice on connections, best way to connect ? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Just wondering if someone can give me a quick run down on whats the best way to connect various things together.

Here are my components :

1) Panasonic LCD 720p (does not have HDMI, only Svideo, component, composite)
2) Sony DVD (with composite out)
3) Sony VCR (with component/coax)
4) Denon 2805 (HDMI, composite, component etc...)
5) Motorola digital HD box (with DVI, composite and HDMI out)

6) In another weeks time I will have my new Samsung 650 series LCD tv.

I had the Hd box connected with composite cables directly to the TV when I first got the hdbox. However, I have since switched the input to the 2805 and then connected the monitor out from the Denon, using composite cables into the tv. I found that when I had it directly connected to the tv and I flicked through chanels on the hdbox, they changed much faster than now that I have it going through the Denon. What I mean is that when I switch a channel now, it first shows me some coloured lines on the tv, then it takes about 3 to 4 seconds for the picture of the next channel to show up. Why does this happen and why is it so much slower ?

Secondly, I would like to be able to set a timer and record shows on my vcr at times, what is the best way to do this ? Should I connect motorola directly to vcr or can I somehow do this using through the Denon ?

I guess my bottom line question is what is the best way for me to connect these pieces together for optimal picture and sound quality ? Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Richard

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think you may have confused composite and component video. Composite video has all of the video information - color and luminance - sent down a single 75ohm coaxial cable, usually terminated with an RCA connector colored red. Component video splits the color data across 3 75ohm coax cables with RCA connectors color-coded green, red and blue. It would be very rare to find a VCR with component outputs but no composite one, or a DVD player with composite but not component.

In general, the list of video connections runs like this - from lowest quality to highest:

F-connector coax antenna connections. (Going directly from your VCR, say, to the TV with a "cable TV" type of wire.)

Composite
S-Video (which splits the color data from the luminance)
Component
Digital video (HDMI or DVI. HDMI can carry both video and sound. You can buy adapters to connect DVI-only equipment to HDMI-only.)

Always use the best available connection between any two components in your system.

Really need the make and model numbers of all the components to offer specific advice on your set-up.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes I did have component and composite mixed up. I meant that my HDbox to either the tv or to currently to the Denon is connected using component (red, green, blue) cables. I do realize its always good to use the best available connections. Here are the makes and models, as you will see the DVD and VCR are older models.

VCR : Sony SLV760HF
DVD : DVP NS55P
TV : Panasonic Vieta TC32LX50
However on Jan 15th a Samsung LN52A650 will replace the Vieta.

Would appreciate advice on best way to connect, considering I wish to record from hdbox to vcr and would also like HT sound through my Denon. I only have two fronts and a sub on the Denon for now.

Also, can someone comment on why my channel changing takes upwards of 4 seconds for the picture to show up.

Regards,
Richard

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I believe your Denon can combine all of your inputs into a single component output. So you can run video and audio from your DVD, VCR and cable box to your receiver using the highest possible quality connection (best to worst = Component --> S-video --> Composite). Then connect the component output from the receiver to the tv.

When you get your new Samsung, you'll want to run HDMI from your cable box to the TV and run an audio cable (either optical or digital coax) to your receiver.

Hey Joe,

Any more tips ? You asked for the specific models on my stuff. Just wondering if you have more advice. Thanks!

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks