What's new

Announcing MAUDE : The Complete First Season DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I enjoyed Maude in it's oiginal Airing and in Repeats, but I don't think I need to own it now, I still enjoy AITF, but maude seems much more dated for me now than AITF does. With what's happening in the Real World, AITF still works.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
one thing that is good is that I run another message board and there the response of "I'm going to get this" is overwhelming, so that should bode well that other boards are also excited to see this release. Even if the show hasn't aired much in syndication over the years, the fanbase Bea Arthur acquired through Golden Girls is big enough to ensure that Maude will be a big success on DVD, along with the AITF and Good Times fans who are likely targets to buy this as well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They used to run Maude late at night just before Johnny Carson. The nostalgia factor is overwelming for me. I'll definately be buying this show if it goes passed 1 season.

I'm thinking it takes time to get in the groove on many dated shows like this. Almost like getting used to watching it again. I always get attachments to some of the stronger characters and that makes it difficult to stop watching. I did that AitF a few years ago when TVLand did a marathon. I couldn't stop watching it. I really believe Maude will be the same way. Then again, if may be a show I just watch 2 or 3 times a week.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Bonar Bain, he also made a memorable appearance on SCTV in the legendary "Zontar" episode (which is on DVD).

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

If only all thought this way.. all seasons would remain on season one! :laugh:
noone would buy the first season, the companies would see that it doesn't sell that good and they scrap season 2 from their schedule..
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, I don't get the idea of waiting for a series and then not buying it until the entire series has been released. If everyone waited to buy it there'd be no sales and no future seasons. How's that for irony ? Better to have one or just a few seasons of a show than none at all.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's true. TV DVD is a toughie because there is so much you have to buy when you make a commitment for a show from season 1. I guess if everybody jumped on it from season 1 we'd have all seasons of Married with Children with Frank Sinatra. :frowning: It's all about how much you have to invest and deciding if a show is worth it. To be honest, most shows are not worth the risk that you'll be stuck with a single season for $35 and that's all we get.

----------------------

More on Maude... I noticed the complaints here about Maude being too loud or her liberal views being a problem.... Doing some research on a particularly loud show The Jeffersons (which I plan to buy season 1-5 of today, heh, finally) I found this brilliantly written reminder.....

.... I feel Normal Lear is a genius. He created shows that accepted the flaws. He didn’t focus so much on what was wrong with people, but actually quite a bit on what was right with them. And through this dissection, through having these discourses on a variety of topics, he forced people(the viewer and the character) to really believe in their strengths. To accept themselves for who they were. And best of all, he made all this happen not only with superb actors, but in such a way that we don’t even realize that it is happening. We just watch and are then hit over the head the greater truths the show illuminates.

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/release/.../review604.php

I thought that was a pretty good explanation for why these shows still work for many of us. The Archie Bunkers, the George Jeffersons, Maude.....and we don't have to agree with them, in fact it's more fun not to agree with them. Radio talk show hosts get a sizable audience of people who hate them but listen anyway to their loud antic. :D

mickeyTOR

Agent

While I can't argue with this comment, it can be a little disheartening when you faithfully buy each season set as it's released, only to find out at the end of the line that the series is going to be released in a big, beautiful boxed set with more extras.

Latecomers seem to get all the gravy when it comes to TV on DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I didn't even think about that. Another smart reason to wait.

Being broke all the time taught me about waiting. Bargain bins fill up with things that were 3 times as much a year or so ago. Heck, last Friday I bought the Strategy Game Collection. Black & White 2, it's addon, Command & Conquer: Generals, it's addon, and a Lord of the Rings strategy game. It cost me $20 at WalMart. How many paid $35 or $40 for 1 or more of those? I didn't, so I'm rewarded for waiting. They'll make more strategy games. ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
From imdb.com:

Maude: "Walter, if you lay one hand on that kid then all your friends will be dressed in black and driving with their lights on."

(I don't remember Francie, but I'm sure she's a black woman...)
Maude: "Francie, this is Florida. My dear, dear friend, probably the best friend I have in the whole world."
Florida: "I'm the maid."

Walter: "People communicate only when they are being themselves. One does not get through to someone by being something other than what one is."
Maude: "That's a lovely speech, Walter, very lovely. Remind me when we have time, to record it on tape so I can accidentally erase it."

Walter: "Maude's as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers."
Carol: "That doesn't sound like you, Walter."
Walter: "I heard that on Hee Haw."

Carol: "She's as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers. What? I just thought it was my turn."
Arthur: "That's a good joke. I heard it on Sonny and Cher."

:laugh:

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
I just noticed this on AMAZON.com:

Region: Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
PLEASE NOTE: Some Region 1 DVDs may contain Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE). Some, but not all, of our international customers have had problems playing these enhanced discs on what are called "region-free" DVD players. For more information on RCE, click here.

I have seen this warning rarely on other DVD sets but I havent bought one with RCE.
Will my regionfree dvd player be able to play it?
What do you guys think? Has anyone bought an RCE dvd and played it on a regionfree player before?

Is this why it is so low in price?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Right on, Maude !

I always like it when a box set is presented in proper packaging that looks good and has neato keen menus and such but it's the show that really counts. If it looks like it should and is unedited then that's what matters most to me. I'm disappointed there aren't any extras especially considering how much Bea Arthur loves this show and still raves about it. But I'm not surprised that there's nothing here.

I agree that this show has basically been ignored with regard to rerun syndication. Perhaps that's because of it's clearly adult nature. Other than the brief TV Land reruns, the only other time I saw any of this show was when it aired on an independent affiliate near me. Utterly horrid reception means this show is largely still brand-new to me. One thing's for sure, this show has NOT been run into the ground by incessant repeats. Unlike other shows that I could name.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Where I lived, Maude used to rerun at 11 just before Johnny Carson came on in the late 70s and early 80s. They started running Alice instead at one point and ran it into the ground. But that's where I saw Maude originally so I associate it with something good, Johnny and staying up late at night. :)

A shame about the region coding problem.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Just got a message from Amazon that this is available for pre-order for just $20.99. Grab it while you can!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
While I don't watch the show usually, apparently Bea Arthur is going to be on the View tomorrow plugging the first season release of Maude.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks