What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Annie Hall and Manhattan on Blu (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
lukejosephchung said:
Just ordered both of these from Amazon.com for $17.49 each...
You do mean Amazon.ca, right? I don't see it up for the U.S.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Please get the subtitles on Annie Hall right for this release. Make them look like they are part of the film if they're going to be player generated, and please, please, please, please get rid of "[thinking]". This managed to ruin one of the films more clever moments and doesn't seem to have ever been fixed on DVD.

Real Name
Stephen Altobello
Neil S. Bulk said:
Please get the subtitles on Annie Hall right for this release.  Make them look like they are part of the film if they're going to be player generated, and please, please, please, please get rid of "[thinking]".  This managed to ruin one of the films more clever moments and doesn't seem to have ever been fixed on DVD.
So true. This has bugged me about the DVD for eons. I even wrote about it at length here: http://peelslowlynsee.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/great-annie-hall-gag-dumbed-down/

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A potential problem rears its ugly head with these releases, as although he could have been consulted, neither film has been approved by the Director of Photography, and especially on Manhattan, that does not bode well.

I will never understand this. Especially, as it has become standard operating procedure for some studio releases, especially anything produced by Columbia's Grover Crisp.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

A potential problem rears its ugly head with these releases, as although he could have been consulted, neither film has been approved by the Director of Photography, and especially on Manhattan, that does not bode well.

I will never understand this. Especially, as it has become standard operating procedure for some studio releases, especially anything produced by Columbia's Grover Crisp.

RAH

RAH,

Aren't these MGM releases through Fox or does Columbia now have the distribution rights?

Crawdaddy

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Fox co-distributes these, but do they have any other control over the restoration or transfers used?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

RAH,

Aren't these MGM releases through Fox or does Columbia now have the distribution rights?

Crawdaddy

These are MGM. My point was that if they were a Columbia release, the DP would have been given his due.

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Harris said:
A potential problem rears its ugly head with these releases, as although he could have been consulted, neither film has been approved by the Director of Photography, and especially on Manhattan, that does not bode well. I will never understand this.  Especially, as it has become standard operating procedure for some studio releases, especially anything produced by Columbia's Grover Crisp. RAH
Is it not possible, given the fact that Gordon Willis is 80 years, he was indisposed for this sort of approval?

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
JoHud said:
Fox co-distributes these, but do they have any other control over the restoration or transfers used?
I doubt any restoration is necessary, as RAH has explained for other films. As to transfers, I watched Manhattan on MGMHD a few months back. Since it looked exactly like the DVD, except being in HD, I doubt new transfers (scans) have been done. I suspect the same HD masters that were used for the DVD release will be used here. Especially since we're talking about MGM, here. If masters are reused, there's nothing for Gordon Willis to do, anyway. I posted in another thread that I believed the DVD of Manhattan had excessive cropping compared to the widescreen laserdisc. Then someone posted that the laserdisc was in error, revealing areas that should have been cropped. Some of the DVD (and therefore the HD cablecast) framings seem compromised to me, so maybe the correct AR lies somewhere between the two. I'm not expecting this to be addressed for the Blu-ray.:( The subtitling issue on the Annie Hall DVD made me scream the first time I saw it. Idiotic. How that ever got classified as a "subtitle" boggles the mind. And the fact that nobody caught it. Obviously, the individuals in charge of transfers and video releases have an unparalleled sense of humor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

These are MGM. My point was that if they were a Columbia release, the DP would have been given his due.

RAH

Gotcha, I misunderstood your comment.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Does anyone know if MGM are planning to follow these up with other Woody Allen films? Steve W

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Yorkshire

Does anyone know if MGM are planning to follow these up with other Woody Allen films?
Steve W

I have a feeling sales figures for these first releases will tell the tale. Since MGM owns rights to most of the Allen movies that I'd want, I hope sales are good.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Willis was interviewed for the Woody Allen doc that PBS aired, in good spirits if not looking too well.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
nealg said:
I doubt any restoration is necessary, as RAH has explained for other films. As to transfers, I watched Manhattan on MGMHD a few months back. Since it looked exactly like the DVD, except being in HD, I doubt new transfers (scans) have been done. I suspect the same HD masters that were used for the DVD release will be used here. Especially since we're talking about MGM, here. If masters are reused, there's nothing for Gordon Willis to do, anyway. I posted in another thread that I believed the DVD of Manhattan had excessive cropping compared to the widescreen laserdisc. Then someone posted that the laserdisc was in error, revealing areas that should have been cropped. Some of the DVD (and therefore the HD cablecast) framings seem compromised to me, so maybe the correct AR lies somewhere between the two. I'm not expecting this to be addressed for the Blu-ray.:(
My recollection is that there was a huge uproar when the DVD was first released because the framing was different from the laserdisc. If my memory serves me correctly, Gordon Willis confirmed that the DVD was the correct framing and that the LD was wrong. I looked through the archives here but couldn't find the original thread which contained the exact quote from Gordon Willis.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Very interesting. For the moment I'm going to take DVD Beaver at its word (some might consider this a dodgy decision, but it's just until we hear anything else). Manhattan appears to be substantially improved over the DVD, with Annie Hall perhaps less so. I'll make another presumption (ah well, in for a penny...) that the work done creating these two Blu-ray discs was fairly similar. I don't think MGM would have spent a fortune and an age on one, and a few bob and five minutes on the other (had the two films been Annie Hall and Bananas it might have been different, with more spent on the OSCAR winner). If that's the case, then it really goes to underline just how the source material, and how a film was shot impact on how 'good' it can look on Blu-ray Disc. I suspect that, if Annie Hall had been a stand-alone release it might have got a lot of criticism from some quarters, whereas many people will be more likely to say 'it probably looks as good as it could' due to the quality of Manhattan. Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks