What's new

Animeigo's Macross restoration : has anyone been able to preview it?? (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Just wondering if any of the work has been shown at any anime conventions and,if so, how the product looked. Also, how is animeigo's subtitles - do they do a good job with them?? Thanks a lot.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Animeigo's subtitles for their laserdisc releases were the very best in the business. Period.
icon14.gif
I have read that they were very careful in doing the subtitles for the Macross DVD's, so I am sure we'll be a-OK.
There will be 4 episodes per DVD, equaling about 88 minutes on a single layer. This leaves over 30 minutes of dead space to dedicate to the bit rate, which animeigo promises will be as high as possible to ensure good picture quality. If a bit is available, it will go towards the picture.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Here are some scans of the packaging and disc jackets.
Disc 001
DVD picture
The Box
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

JasonRH

Second Unit
Matt,
Thanks a lot for the reply. I hope the subtitling is done well since the english subs are the only option on there. Having incorrect timing or subtitles that appear and disappear too fast is very annoying.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Accordingly, 4 episodes on a single layer, and with Japanese being the only language, more bitrate is geared for video. As I was told, most of the bitrate for video averages roughly 7 to 8 Mbps, which is not bad, plus the added restoration work, and the box and DVD art, this looks to be a worthy $250 ($260 w/ shipping) investment. :)
KC

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As I was told, most of the bitrate for video averages roughly 7 to 8 Mbps, which is not bad
That's an understatement. According to the SuperBits insert, most DVDs with value added content average between 4-5Mbps, with Superbits averaging between 7-8Mbps (this is from my memory which could be a little faulty). So if Animeigo can keep the bit rate up that high, then the transfer (coupled with remastering the original elements) should really shine.

I have been able to view the Macross restoration over the past two years at Otakon and Anime Weekend Atlanta.
At Otakon 2000 they showed a svhs tape with before and after images on it. Shin pointed out that when he was transferring from the masters, at Harmony Gold, he pulled back on the film source to get more of the image in the frame. You could see the size difference and the amount of information on screen was substantial when he showed a split screen. The biggest improvement were the colors, all of the fading is gone.
Now at Otakon 2001 he showed a test disc of, I believe episode 13. All I can say is that Shin has put his heart and soul into this. You could have not asked for a better restoration. He explained all of the final adjustments for the audio and video, while we watched the finished product. Having seen the ADV release of Robotech and then seeing the remastering is like looking at two different shows.
Another note, Macross has been properly flagged for progressive playback. What else could you ask for. You must own this set!
------------------
Anime:
Cheaper than crack and a hell of a lot more addictive.
My addiction
[Edited last by Michael Banks on October 12, 2001 at 06:55 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Now at Otakon 2001 he showed a test disc of, I believe episode 13. All I can say is that Shin has put his heart and soul into this. You could have not asked for a better restoration. He explained all of the final adjustments for the audio and video, while we watched the finished product. Having seen the ADV release of Robotech and then seeing the remastering is like looking at two different shows.
We actually showed the first 8 eps in varying formats (DVD-R, MiniDV and VHS) in our video rooms this year.
That being said, Shin has absolutely gone above and beyond the call of duty, and it looks scrumptious. The artwork for the box and DVDs is up at
http://www.robotech.com/gallery/gali...subcategoryid=
79&firsttime=1
I have a feeling that Harmony Gold demanded that the characters on the cover not be immediately recognizable as "Robotech" like they did with the character names (Roy Fokker(confirmed correct romanization) will use the Focker Japlish spelling) *Sigh*
Jeff Kleist

JasonRH

Second Unit
Thanks for the input, guys. So then I need not worry about the English subtitles being done poorly? I ask because I have never seen a release by animeigo and had read a few people on another forum complaining about the subtitling. I never paid it much attention but now that I'm plopping about $470.00 Canadian on it, I thought I'd ask. Everyone is raving so much about the video cleanup (me included) that nobody has mentioned the subbing, which is very important.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The subs are great, usual solid AnimEigo job. Don't forget their copius liner notes that will be included!
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Carlo,
Of course, 7-8 is not on par, as to say, the Japanese anime R2 DVDs which are mostly averaging 9.2 Mbps video bitrate. So, 7-8 Mbps is not bad, not excellent, just not bad, better than most U.S. anime companies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Kong, I think you need to remember that bitrate does not a quality make. I've seen high-bitrate titles that look aweful, and low bitrate stuff that looks great.
Macross looks beautiful, far and above the Japanese DVDs
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks