What's new

"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
All of this talk about getting screwed on the DVD, bare a small thought for us UK TV watchers. We got S2 in widescreen, not that bad really, but Season 3 is being shown 4:3, and looks absolutely terrible.
No matter where we all stand on how S1 & S2 were shot and look at whatever aspect ratio, I believe the position that "S3 and beyond in 4:3 will look like dog-poop!" is one that everyone in this thread can get behind enthusiastically. :)

Regards,

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Even though there are framing errors in Angel S2, it really does look better in widescreen than Buffy does, and so I'm doubly glad Whedon has approved it. I'm currently waiting for S3 to drop through my letterbox so I can finally watch S3 in the only way it was meant to be seen - in 16:9. The 4:3 broadcasts we get over here are truly hideous.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ken is correct. Once Angel went wide, they went WIDE. The show has featured the best cinematography on television since then,amazing stuff.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
So is there any reason to upgrade from the R2 sets now apart from PAL speedup?
As far as I'm aware, the only differences between the R1 and R2 sets is that the latter features PAL speedup and the "Previously on Angel" intros. Well, that and the really cool book packaging. But otherwise, they're identical.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
R1 season 1 of Buffy is missing a music video. Season 4 r1 has an additional commentary.

Other than that, all the sets have been the same (except r1 appears to correct the menu error with Angel season 1, the first episode is correctly titled "city of" on the R1 release)

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Slightly off topic, but I used the search function and couldn't find anything....

Can someone tell me the exact correct viewing order of Buffy Season 5 and Angel Season 2? I know with Buffy4/Angel1 it was simply a case of going back and forth between the two starting with Buffy.

Is this true for this current release as well?

(BTW, being a newbie to Buffy/Angel universe....I'm watching them for the first time ever on DVD...it's absolutely killing me that I'm buying a box set in September and I'm not allowed to watch it until the next Buffy comes out in December!!)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Can someone tell me the exact correct viewing order of Buffy Season 5 and Angel Season 2? I know with Buffy4/Angel1 it was simply a case of going back and forth between the two starting with Buffy.
I believe it is the same with Buffy Season 5/Angel Season 2 as well. The "Fool For Love"/"Darla" crossover occurs in episode 7 of both shows. And the season finale of Angel references the finale of Buffy.

David Boreanaz does make an appearance in episode 17 of Buffy Season 5(for a reason I won't dare mention), but it doesn't have anything to do with what's going on in his show.

And I almost forgot about "Disharmony", episode 17 of Angel Season 2. It helps to have seen "Crush", which was aired earlier that year on Buffy, although it's not too hard to figure out what's going on as long as you've seen Buffy Season 4.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Wait for both Buffy Season Five and Angel Season Two to be in your hands.

Watch Buffy Season Five Episode One, then Angel Season Two Episode one.

Then BtVS S5 episode TWO, then Angel S2 episode TWO, and so on.

When Buffy Seasons 4 & 5 and Angel Seasons 1 & 2 were originally aired, they aired on WB network on the same night, one right after the other.

They did use this to tie together the series'. After Buffy, the WB announcer would say "Stay tuned for Angel, in which...".

When the episodes were very closely tied together, WB would talk all evening in promos about "Tonight's Buffy and Angel Special Event".

PS For those who have yet to view the earlier seasons, the same thing applies to Buffy Season Four and Angel Season One.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I thought....thanks for the info.

I just wanted to confirm that this was a hard and fast rule for these seasons. I thought I had read somewhere that on a couple nights Buffy was a repeat while Angel was an original and vice versa.

December 9th can't come soon enough!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just because that's how they were originally aired, though, doesn't necessarily make that the best way to watch them.

In particular, the end of each season is very serialized, as Angel especially adopted the "comic book splash page final scene" that leads directly into the next Angel, and not the next Buffy.

There were crossover events, but each episode in them stands alone pretty well. Some are better seen back-to-back, but it's far from mandatory.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
The back of the box says: 1:78 and under it Full Frame... dumb marketing IMO :)

Good to hear it's enhanced for wide screens.

Brian

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Wait for both Buffy Season Five and Angel Season Two to be in your hands. Watch Buffy Season Five Episode One, then Angel Season Two Episode one. Then BtVS S5 episode TWO, then Angel S2 episode TWO, and so on.
It's not necessary to watch Angel like that. Not every single episode of season 2 had anything to do with Buffy.
Only about 2 or 3 episodes of the entire season was a true crossover.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
He's right, just the FOOL FOR LOVE/DARLA episodes (and even those make sense out of context)

Just don't watch the season 2 finale before Season Buffy season 5.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I only just got done watching the first episode in widescreen glory and I thought it looked great!

Ric

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well, I only just got done watching the first episode in widescreen glory and I thought it looked great!
I agree! I normaly watch TV shows that are not widescreen on my 20" sony in my bedroom, they just look a bit odd on my 57" sony in my main HT. Angel looked stunning! Now if I only had more TV series that were this good (only other one is Season 6+ of Xfiles)

Brian

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The back of the box says: 1:78 and under it Full Frame... dumb marketing IMO
Actually, considering the way it was shot (4:3 is a center extraction of a hard matted 16:9 frame), 16:9 is sort of a "full frame".

The transfer quality was very very nice. The fact that it is a very well lit and photographed show certainly helps. Based on the first two episodes, I still think it looks like it should be 4:3, but if Mssrs. Whedon & Greenwalt want it 16:9, I'll eat what they are serving. Season Three will look even better in all of its uncompromised 16:9 glory.

Regards,

Is it just me, i find the fight close up easier to follow for the eyes in Widescreen.. anyway for the first 4 ep i watched!

Can't wait in Febuary 2004 for season 3 !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks