What's new

"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced (1 Viewer)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well I guess Full Frame has been etched into my mind as EVIL and BAD :) So I took a double take when I saw that.

All is good though.. the PQ is very nice :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The transfer is pristine. I was amazed at the difference between S1 and S2. The widescreen if anything compliments this show's style very well albeit a few flubs.

A question to the show itself. Tell me this picks up a bit. A bit of a decline IMO from that awsome second half of season 1. My brother assures me it does, thoughts?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it does. Fred's a great big fun addition to the cast, and by Season 3 & 4, when it's free of crossovers, Angel leaves its stellar parent in the dust.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
A question to the show itself. Tell me this picks up a bit. A bit of a decline IMO from that awsome second half of season 1. My brother assures me it does, thoughts?
Where exactly are you in the season right now? Cause I thought that the first half of Season 2 was amazing. The storyline remained solid up until the last 5 episodes when they were kinda forced to go in a completely different direction due to certain actors being unavailable.

As Jason said though, Season 3 and particularly 4 are brilliant. They easily put Buffy's last two years to shame.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I am only at episode 3. Just a note, I felt Angel Season 1 was at least equal, if not better than the lesser (treading very lightly) Buffy seasons for which I have seen all. Overall the series has been a treat, since scheduling never permitted me to watch it.

You both have me very excited about seasons 3 and 4.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yeah I'm watching season 2 for the first time as well and I'm loving the whole Darla story-arc, especially the episodes "Darla", "The Trial", and "Reunion" which I watched last night. Powerful storytelling :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I remeber I missed season 2 because Dark Angel was starting that year (jesus... I missed angel for that?) but cathing up on Season 2 (missed most of the first half, caught the last 8 episodes or so) has been nice.

Is it just me, or what the Season 2 premiere rather dull? I thought it was a good seed planter for the rest of the season, but I can't imagine any new viewers sticking around if they'd never seen an episode before.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or what the Season 2 premiere rather dull? I thought it was a good seed planter for the rest of the season, but I can't imagine any new viewers sticking around if they'd never seen an episode before.
Season 2 is very uneven till it finds its feet around the halfway. Mostly I think they were trying to find the show's "arc" voice

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I loved all of season 2. But you have to appreciate the way it careens back and forth between wacky comedy, soapish drama and horror.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I agree about Season 2... It was pretty dull at the beginning... Doesnt get very exciting till the Darla arc kicks in...

Also, Cordy cuts all her hair off in season 2... That in itself was one of the most powerful and depressing episodes of the season... :wink:

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I stopped Dark Angel after the first season and switched back to ANGEL after discovering the last arc was very fun (pylea)

Fred was probably the most interesting addition to the cast at that point, and I couldn't wait to see where her character went.

what I meant by it being dull was that it wasn't really interesting at all. You'd think they would try to re-vamp the show a little or something to pull in more viewers. Reminded me of the start of season 2 - where it's pretty entertaining, it doesn't bring any large changes to the show at all.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, I just got my season 2 set from Amazon in the mail today. I use a 57" widescreen toshiba tv. I just watched the first episode and I gotta tell ya, I'm loving the anamophic widescreen aspect ratio. :D Nice not having the charactors look short n chubby due to the stretch mode (and toshiba was considered to have the best looking stretch).

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think no matter what, when you take an image that 4:3 and make it 16:9...it'll be stretched bad. lol

Honestly, I think it really helps the show. Seeing a single episode of Buffy in widescreen other than the musical really showed me how much it was supposed to be 4:3. It was too obvious there was dead space.

Season 2 of ANGEL looks different. I even tried zooming in and it just looks too cramped. It's almost like a close-up of the characters. The wider angle pulls back on them more to give more room to breathe. It's like a lot of shows on TV, far too close to the actors. Angel simply looks better when filmed like a movie (wider, not quite as zoomed in on the actors)

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Fox really needs to work on the packaging for these sets. Mine showed up in the mail from Amazon and the first three discs all had come free and are scratched badly. They are shipping me a new one but this is the third Fox tv set to have floaters. Buffy season 3 and 4 and now Angel 2 all had to be replaced. Looking forward to checking the set out once the new one shows up.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I had problems with season 3 of Buffy, but My Angel was ok. Disc 2 (the problem disc) was loose, but not off the spindle.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Season 2 of ANGEL looks different. I even tried zooming in and it just looks too cramped. It's almost like a close-up of the characters.
I can't agree with this statement based on the first two episodes, but maybe it changes as the season progresses. There's tons of dead space in the 16:9 on those two. Zooming to 4:3 doesn't looked cramped on those. It looks balanced and tight only when it is supposed to be tight.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks