What's new

Amplifiers (1 Viewer)

Aron

Grip
Whats the differences between a regular Amplifier, Integrated Amplifier, Preamplifier, and A/V Amplifier?

I'm probably gonna get a pair of BMW N802 or ML Odyssey soon. Any idea what kind of setup will work best? I heard Classe is good, but what model and wattage will I need? Should I get a 5 channel or 2 channel? If I get a 2 channel, can I upgrade in the future so I can set it up for Home Theater use later on?

Thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hopefully i don't blow this:

amplifer: the plain black box. you hook the speakers up to it. it's job is to amplify a signal given to it from another source (typically a pre-amp).

pre-amp: the component with the volume knob and the selector switches. it's job is to control the volume and switch between various playback devices: cd, tuner, phono, dvd, etc.

integrated-amp: combines amplifier and pre-amp into one box. usually means there's no on-board tuner. don't see too many of them these days.

pre-pro: more common these days. it combines a pre-amp with the processing needed to decode various sound formats such as dolby digital, dts, various 6.1 formats, dolby pro-logic2, etc.

receiver: an "all-in-one" box. it contains all of the above in one box.

there's various trains of thought on what combination of amps works best. some like the 5-channel since it's all in one box. others like a 3-channel up front, 2-channel in rear. others are saying two 3-channels are a good idea for future 6.1 expansion, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks