What's new
World Wide Stereo

amp upgrade for Tumult (1 Viewer)

Brad Dixon

Stunt Coordinator
Tumult is sealed 110L(or as close as I could get).

I'm curious if anyone thinks going from a Keiga 1000w plate amp to something like a Behringer EP2500 or QSC RMX 1450/1850 would make any noticeable difference. The problem is it seems like when listening at loud levels and a large explosion or low bass note hits the Keiga clips. It's that or the Tumult is bottoming but I really doubt that's it.

Or to get that bottom end rumble/impact should I just move to a PR'd box? What I'm not sure of is,
1. It appears the 18" PR's aren't available anymore/at this moment and all of the 15" PR's seem to bottom out according to unibox.
2. The rumble filter on the Keiga is around 18hz(-3db?) if I remember correctly. I'm not to sure if that would affect much or not but I was modeling a possible box of 150L tuned ~16-17hz.

I've messed with unibox a bunch and buying a second Tumult and running 1000w to each(sealed) it seems to have more output below 13.5 hz and above 22hz(compared to a single Tumult w/ 2 18" PR's). The problem here is more money for another Tumult than just 2 PR's. Not to mention getting the OK to put a second Tumult in the room.

Thanks,
Brad

Seth_L

Screenwriter
You will probably get a noticable difference in the low end.

It's been said that the Keiga couldn't really put out 1000W for any duration (due to a poor power supply). So, it behaves more like an amp with a lower power rating. That added to the rumble filter reduces low frequency output considerably.

You can get 18" PRs from AE http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv12636...cb6c4fcebd1581

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
I finally upgraded to a K2 last year and it's a great amp. They are routinely on ebay in good condition and sell under $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks