What's new
World Wide Stereo

Amp questions - as in, what to get... (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
charleyp1 said:
Gene,

Thanks for the reply. I doubt MCACC will come into play in any event, given I've got all in wall speakers that I can't really adjust for optimal positioning.

I do need to consider the remote issue. I have a small stack and I'd love to do away with some or all. I will consider a Harmony but I know my wife didn't like our last one (8 years ago...).

I have a network rack on the other side of the wall from my screen where all my equipment is installed. I used a Sewell Direct SW-29309 IR repeater which comes with a decent wall plate to extend my IR over to the rack. Best choice ever. :)

Thanks for the product sheet link!

My receiver arrives today! I can't wait to get my grubby little fingers on it and catapult my old Onkyo into the street. :P
Run the MCACC anyway. If you don't like what it came up with you can always turn it off :) .

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
charleyp1 said:
Gene,
Thanks for the reply. I doubt MCACC will come into play in any event, given I've got all in wall speakers that I can't really adjust for optimal positioning.

I do need to consider the remote issue. I have a small stack and I'd love to do away with some or all. I will consider a Harmony but I know my wife didn't like our last one (8 years ago...).

I have a network rack on the other side of the wall from my screen where all my equipment is installed. I used a Sewell Direct SW-29309 IR repeater which comes with a decent wall plate to extend my IR over to the rack. Best choice ever. :)

Thanks for the product sheet link!

My receiver arrives today! I can't wait to get my grubby little fingers on it and catapult my old Onkyo into the street. [emoji14]
Don't catapult just yet...

You need it for at least 2, possibly 4(I would use it on 4) channels of your setup.

Use it for all the Atmos or all the surrounds...whichever the 95 manual says "has to have" the external amp...then use the "like one".

As for "what volume" to set the Onkyo. If using -db scale, run it up to -5. Turn off the EQ in it and set bass/treble at 0.

So you can monitor the Onkyo, you can run its HDMI out to the Elite. Then the Onkyo is simply a source, so to speak.

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Oh, that's right! I was considering buying a couple of 2 channel amps for that, but this will certainly get me through until such time as I can filch the funds from the wife. ;-) Thanks for the reminder!

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Well, new Pioneer SC-95 is installed. Trying to connect it to my network via wired connection. It gets an IP but isn't even pingable. :-/ Is there a special trick to networking this thing? It seems to be anything but straight forward...

Real Name
Brendan
have you tried to reset your IP address. Unplug modem and routers plug back in and try again.
Happens frequent in large cities.

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
I can't get any audio either. HDMI connected, video coming through, but no audio on any inputs. Going to reboot my router now to see if that clears up the network issues... I hope I didn't get a lemon...

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Got audio working but absolutely no network connectivity. Bummed out. Wired is behaving the same way as wireless. I get an IP initial login to my router and then it drops. Ping returns: Destination host unreachable. Guess I'll contact Pioneer in the morning.

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Hmm, using WPA2-PSK AES. But it won't connect with a wired connection either. Tried a couple of different cables to eliminate that. Very strange.

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
So I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with Pioneer tech support. We tried reconfiguring the network port several times and factory resetting the receiver a couple of times - all to no avail. The receiver logs into my router (TP-Link, Archer C3200), gets an IP and then drops out a few seconds later. It stays logged in long enough for me to connect to the built in webpage before losing connectivity. Pioneer decided it was a bad network port and asked me to return it to Best Buy and they would send it out for repair. The manager at Best Buy swapped the unit out for me and when I got it home, SAME ISSUE! I'm starting to think that there's possibly a compatibility issue with the Elite SC-95 and TP Link routers (or at least the AC3200). I've got my older Netgear router that I'm going to try and see if it will log into that and see what happens...

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Just a final follow up, until resolution at least, I searched around on some other forums and it appears that I'm not the only one affected. It looks like the Pioneer Elite SC-95, or at least *some* of them, have major networking problems. Pioneer has not yet officially said so, but several members over on the avsforums have reported similar issues with network connectivity dropping out on wireless and wired. The time it takes for the failure seems to vary from immediately (as in my case) to hours or even a day or two. I'm going to start a new thread on this issue here in the thought that maybe others here are experiencing similar problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks