What's new

Amazon's Black Friday Deals Store is now open (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One other thing. IF you're interested in music/audio production gear, Amazon's been doing these periodic extra 20%-off coupon deals for select (mostly low-to-mid/semi-pro level) gear since beginning of the month. I actually picked up a pretty nice Fishman Loudbox Mini amp (for use w/ a violin/viola or guitar pickup plus maybe a mic) w/ that deal early this month for a substantial discount off the usual price (w/ the coupon on top of the then unusually lower price).

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&&emi=ATVPDKIKX0DER&node=13440589011

Might want to look out for another such offer if you already have some low-to-mid/semi-pro level gear in mind...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FYI, Amazon UK currently has the UK release of the Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009) complete series BD set for £25+shipping, which comes out to ~$38USD (and you'd save a buck or two more on shipping if this is not the only title you buy).

They also have the UK release of the Star Trek: Enterprise complete series BD set for £50+shipping, which comes out to ~$71USD (or a bit less if shipped w/ other titles). However, I suppose it's quite probable that they will eventually have this set for significantly less than that given their track record w/ such boxsets... even though that could be a year's wait or longer.

Another complete series BD set that might be of interest is House at ~£50+shipping (or ~$71USD).

Also, for those who missed out on the long-OOP Criterion BD version of The Third Man (or simply want a more detailed remastering... albeit w/ higher gamma and less inky blacks), Studio Canal apparently released a new 4K remastered version of it in the UK earlier this summer, and Amazon UK currently has it for ~£11.30+shipping (or ~$20USD... or less if part of a bigger order). This one is region-free (though some of the extras may be PAL formatted) and should be much much better than the prior Studio Canal release, and I did order it in my recent big-ish order as well -- they also released a multi-disc set (w/ extra content on DVDs + a CD) that costs ~2x as much, but the DVDs are region-2, PAL formatted though.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool said:
I haven't spotted much of interest w/ Amazon's (pre-)BF deals so far either... much like last year as others noted.

For movies/TV boxsets, you might also want to check out Amazon UK as they seem to have better deals. I just nabbed the (region-free) UK version of Star Trek TNG complete BD set from their BF lightning deal early this morning for ~£60+shipping, which comes out to ~$99USD. I also threw in a Lexar Pro 1000x UHS-2 128GB SD card from a concurrent lightning deal for ~£30+shipping, which came out to ~$57USD, while I was at it. And yeah, I also had other UK release BDs in my cart ready to go for a good size order to help save on shipping.

Too bad HTF can't benefit from an Amazon UK order though...

Anyway, if y'all are interested, Amazon UK currently has the True Blood complete series BD set in a BF lightning deal (until circa 4pm ET) for ~£45+shipping.

And if you're interested in picking up all the released seasons of Big Bang Theory (perhaps to go w/ a BF-specific deal), they currently also have the seasons 1-8 BD set for ~£40+shipping, which actually comes to ~£33.35+shipping after deducting the VAT.

Figure the exchange rate is ~$1.6USD-to-£1 right now to help you decide, and shipping is ~£3 (plus £1 for each additional title... no matter the boxset size).

Do note though that unlike their normal prices, eg. the BBT set I mentioned, the BF-specific deal prices will not have VAT deducted for the final purchase price -- normally, that would be ~16.7% deduction to offset VAT.

_Man_

PS: Yes, all the titles I mentioned above are region-free. Was going to suggest their Deal of the Day The Walking Dead seaons 1-5 BD set (for ~£40+shipping) as well, but just realized that's probably region-B-locked.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
BobO'Link said:
^That's pretty much like my experience at WM last year. Went in sometime over the weekend (Sunday? Monday? been too long... oldtimers setting in... :D) and decided to go back and pick up a couple I'd passed on only to find it had been cleared out overnight! Being inside WM on BF is a waking nightmare!
absolutely! It was surreal, I had to park in the tech school parking lot next door to the WM shopping center. And inside it was like I was in a whole different place in a different town I didn't know. I figure when I'm 85 and senile I'll get that feeling again. :D

I was talking with my mom who lives in a huge city, my sister had been telling us of here crazy shopping plans for the whole period. Mom said people there have so much money they'll come out and get everything as quickly as possible. There won't be anything left Monday or tuesday. I'm lucky in my dinky little town. ... I plan to go up tomorrow sometime.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
ManW_TheUncool said:
For movies/TV boxsets, you might also want to check out Amazon UK as they seem to have better deals.

[snipped]

And if you're interested in picking up all the released seasons of Big Bang Theory (perhaps to go w/ a BF-specific deal), they currently also have the seasons 1-8 BD set for ~£40+shipping, which actually comes to ~£33.35+shipping after deducting the VAT.

Figure the exchange rate is ~$1.6USD-to-£1 right now to help you decide, and shipping is ~£3 (plus £1 for each additional title... no matter the boxset size).

Do note though that unlike their normal prices, eg. the BBT set I mentioned, the BF-specific deal prices will not have VAT deducted for the final purchase price -- normally, that would be ~16.7% deduction to offset VAT.

For those interested in that Big Bang Theory S1-8 BD set, Amazon UK has apparently slashed the price further by another £10 down to ~£30+shipping (or ~$45USD shipped).

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I posted this in the other pinned Black Friday thread before seeing this dedicated-to-Amazon thread, but I suppose it's worth reposting here too:

I know it's not a movie or Blu-ray-related equipment, but it's worth noting in here that Amazon is offering 30% off (or up to $10, whichever is less) off of any book purchased through Monday with code HOLIDAY30 entered at checkout. It also works on pre-orders and items that are out of stock (I got the illustrated Harry Potter for $17.97 with it) but you can only use it once per account, so be careful to choose wisely.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
There's a one-time use code HOLIDAY30 for 30% off of 1 book (up to $10) until 2:59 AM EST Monday morning.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have strange sleeping hours, so I woke up in the middle of the night (7:30pm EST) to take advantage of a lightning deal this evening...

San Andreas 3D $9

Now, this is a title I have been keeping an eye on. It sells for nearly $30.

Wow! When the deal started at 7:35, the claim bar sold out in about 10 seconds or less.

I was quick enough to just be able to snag myself a copy. However, one really had to be quick on the trigger finger to get that deal.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ronald Epstein said:
I have strange sleeping hours, so I woke up in the middle of the night (7:30pm EST) to take advantage of a lightning deal this evening...

San Andreas 3D $9

Now, this is a title I have been keeping an eye on. It sells for nearly $30.

Wow! When the deal started at 7:35, the claim bar sold out in about 10 seconds or less.

I was quick enough to just be able to snag myself a copy. However, one really had to be quick on the trigger finger to get that deal.

I was waiting as the seconds counted down, and the second the sale price went up, I hit the buy button and got one as well. Very happy.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Went to Walmart today and they had a lot. Took me hours to go through it all. Spent about $100. Lots of $4 blurays. I'm going to look up and see how good the deals were. ( i checked, very happy! )

Big Lots didn't have the great 2-dvd $1.88 movie sets from TGG Direct they had last year. Disappointing. I missed a few then. Their Theatre of Blood on DVD is way better than MGM original releases.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
JakeLip said:
I posted this in the other pinned Black Friday thread before seeing this dedicated-to-Amazon thread, but I suppose it's worth reposting here too:

I know it's not a movie or Blu-ray-related equipment, but it's worth noting in here that Amazon is offering 30% off (or up to $10, whichever is less) off of any book purchased through Monday with code HOLIDAY30 entered at checkout. It also works on pre-orders and items that are out of stock (I got the illustrated Harry Potter for $17.97 with it) but you can only use it once per account, so be careful to choose wisely.

Thanks for the tip. I picked up "A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Film Noir" by John Grant for $25.50, which is 50% off the cover price.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, if you're interested in books (or whatever else they sell), B&N (bn.com) also has their apparently reusable BF 30%-off coupon (30BFRIDAY) that isn't capped at $10 savings like the Amazon one, which is useful for something more expensive... or if you have B&N membership and don't need order $25+ for free shipping -- not sure if it's as easy to get free trial membership now or you could go that route as well.

Online book prices are usually fairly competitve between B&N and Amazon, and B&N also still has their 50%-off Criterion sale going on (although most single Criterion titles won't be expensive enough for non-members free shipping) -- for those interested, they seem to have the clear best pricing (when using the BF coupon) for the restored BD versions of My Fair Lady (~$22.40+tax) and Anne of Green Gables (~$30.60+tax) right now...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
ManW_TheUncool said:
For those interested in that Big Bang Theory S1-8 BD set, Amazon UK has apparently slashed the price further by another £10 down to ~£30+shipping (or ~$45USD shipped).

_Man_

FYI, Amazon UK also now has the Sons of Anarchy complete series BD set for ~£35+shipping (or ~$51USD shipped).

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Amazon UK also with STTNG Complete Series for $92 more or less

You may have to copy/paste the address the way the forum hatchets web addresses and redirects everything to AmUS
The site is defaulting to a 3rd Party now so make sure to change to Amazon UK as the seller (right hand margin)
I do wish there was a way any of the Amazon;s would stop doing this.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NQXC2YU

ST Enterprise COmplete -- approx $67 (with a CC without Exchange fees)
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SM43MO2

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lots of CW series sets now on sale at Amazon (Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Reign, iZombie). Mostly blu in the $12 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks