What's new

Amazon Fire TV stick HDMI cable (2 Viewers)

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I was looking for a forum where we could ask the most stupid of questions. Couldn't find one so I'll have to post here: I have my fire tv stick (HD, not 4K) connected to my AV receiver. Unfortunately, the AVR, and stick, are in a cabinet on the bottom shelf, in a corner of the house furthest from my modem, with a steel plated gas fireplace insert in between. I think this is impacting negatively on the WI-FI connection. Is it okay for me to attach a longer aftermarket HDMI cable to the stick in order to raise it up and out of the cabinet to get better WI-FI reception or is the mini extender they provide in the box (too short, by the way) a proprietary thing? Thanks

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can't answer your question, but I will say that with my router only a couple of feet away from my Fire Stick 4K, I could never get it to lock on a wi-fi signal with surety. I finally got so frustrated trying to establish a connection that I hardwired it to the router, and haven't had a problem since. I really do think my stick was simply defective, but since I have a sure connection to the internet with it now, I no longer worry about it.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I can't answer your question, but I will say that with my router only a couple of feet away from my Fire Stick 4K, I could never get it to lock on a wi-fi signal with surety. I finally got so frustrated trying to establish a connection that I hardwired it to the router, and haven't had a problem since. I really do think my stick was simply defective, but since I have a sure connection to the internet with it now, I no longer worry about it.
Good advise. Will give that a shot, although I'll have to check if there is an ethernet port. Never thought of that to be honest.

Edit: Just checked and the HD stick doesn't have ethernet. Thanks though!

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another thing to consider is getting a mesh wifi system, like Amazon's eero, for your home. I assume you don't have this kind of setup already because you mentioned that your Fire Stick is in the farthest corner of your house from your modem. If you ARE just using the wifi on your provider's cable modem, a mesh wifi system would allow you to put a satellite in the room with the Firestick, perhaps eliminating the connectivity issue. Of course, it would be a LOT cheaper to just move it out of the cabinet and see if that works.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Thanks Doug. Our provider offers "pods" that create a mesh. I will look into that idea but I think I'll put it on the end of a longish HDMI and see what happens.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I was looking for a forum where we could ask the most stupid of questions. Couldn't find one so I'll have to post here: I have my fire tv stick (HD, not 4K) connected to my AV receiver. Unfortunately, the AVR, and stick, are in a cabinet on the bottom shelf, in a corner of the house furthest from my modem, with a steel plated gas fireplace insert in between. I think this is impacting negatively on the WI-FI connection. Is it okay for me to attach a longer aftermarket HDMI cable to the stick in order to raise it up and out of the cabinet to get better WI-FI reception or is the mini extender they provide in the box (too short, by the way) a proprietary thing? Thanks
I already do this so yes you can ... keep in mind if it's 4K you need a 4K rated cable

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I had an issue one time where Amazon pushed an update through the "broke" the device. One of their first troubleshooting steps was to make sure I had used an Amazon HDMI cable. I swapped them out, but it didn't change anything. So then the guy started offering me a "deal" where I could get a new Fire device for only $60. I told him if I needed a new one that was fine, but I wasn't paying for it, because it broke when Amazon pushed an update I didn't ask for nor acknowledge. He put me on hold and suddenly the device started working.

Moral of the story is that I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whose logo is on the HDMI cable.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I had an issue one time where Amazon pushed an update through the "broke" the device. One of their first troubleshooting steps was to make sure I had used an Amazon HDMI cable. I swapped them out, but it didn't change anything. So then the guy started offering me a "deal" where I could get a new Fire device for only $60. I told him if I needed a new one that was fine, but I wasn't paying for it, because it broke when Amazon pushed an update I didn't ask for nor acknowledge. He put me on hold and suddenly the device started working.

Moral of the story is that I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whose logo is on the HDMI cable.
All of mine have the Monoprice logo on them.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Another thing to consider is getting a mesh wifi system, like Amazon's eero, for your home. I assume you don't have this kind of setup already because you mentioned that your Fire Stick is in the farthest corner of your house from your modem. If you ARE just using the wifi on your provider's cable modem, a mesh wifi system would allow you to put a satellite in the room with the Firestick, perhaps eliminating the connectivity issue. Of course, it would be a LOT cheaper to just move it out of the cabinet and see if that works.
Update: Looked into and got the mesh Wi-Fi from provider. Signals jumped from poor/fair to very good/excellent. Life is good again: the kids have me at hero status and the wife hates me just a little less. Ahhhhh Wi-Fi, is there anything you can't do?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Update: Looked into and got the mesh Wi-Fi from provider. Signals jumped from poor/fair to very good/excellent. Life is good again: the kids have me at hero status and the wife hates me just a little less. Ahhhhh Wi-Fi, is there anything you can't do?
I deployed an Eero mesh last year and have been thrilled with its speed, coverage, and stability. If you have a large or multi-level home, mesh is the best consumer wifi solution available.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I deployed an Eero mesh last year and have been thrilled with its speed, coverage, and stability. If you have a large or multi-level home, mesh is the best consumer wifi solution available.
Oh, yes, mesh is king, but why is the mesh pod able to get a signal and then send it out when it is only 10 feet away from my Fire stick which struggled? Finicky buggers.

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
I'm having problems with my Fire TV Stick and want to ask you all here.
It works fine for some channels like Amazon, Netflix or YouTube.
It gets delayed on HBOMax but does eventually work.
It doesn't work at all for other channels like Disney+ and Paramount+.
Yes, I've rebooted, tested the internet speed, unplugged the FireStick and plugged it back in after 3 minutes and checked for updates.
And then a friend got me a new Fire TV Stick. And the same thing has happened.
I know it's not my Wifi because I can play them fine on my PC and my iPad.
Any ideas please???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks