What's new

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Limited Edition) Blu-ray Available Preorder (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Fortunately the glue appears to be mostly on the label side and I was able to pick most off. Some of the playing sides have some strange marks sort of like the dot pattern left from old tape and others have some rather superficial scratches near the edge.
I was going to have a Hitchcock marathon to test them all, but I am still hoping to get a replacement, and the place I purchased them from has no returns since it is closing, so there is no rush.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I got the skinny on the three potential endings for Topaz from Leonard Maltin's narrated defense of the movie on the disc.

The original ending tested horribly, so Hitchcock reshot a new ending, but it tested badly as well. The third ending (which was the theatrical ending in America and on home videos for a long time) was a composite ending fabricated from already shot footage and a major added sound effect.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So the ending on the current disc is what, the original European theatrical ending?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I wish all the studios could get together and release a set of Hitchcock with his Best Films... Rebecca, Correspondant, Spellbound, North, Rear, Suspicion, Vertigo, Psycho, Lifeboat... or even all of them.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Good deal, but the UK set is missing North by Northwest, if that's a deal-breaker for anyone.

Zavvi shipped price was £27.50 not $$$ so $35 shipped, plus many states now have sales tax added. Zavvi has gotten much much expensive (relatively) since they went away from £0.99 flat rate shipping and now with the sales tax collection exp since they don't remove VAT like Amazon does so in essence you're playing UK VAT and US Sales tax -- not a good combination

You're better off getting the standalone edition anyway since it adds a couple extras the Us Boxset version is missing. Amazon UK has the 14film collection for £21.50 ($27 shipped).

Or add the 3 film WarnerUk to the same package and get DialM and Strangers on a Train for an extra $15 and still be cheaper than the US set
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B006LMILRK

There are also some odd little differences in the individual movies -- Veritgo UK drop the original mono track compared to the US set, but Psycho Audio is upgraded vs the US set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks