What's new

Disney+ Ahsoka (2023) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think I read somewhere that the plan is for season 2 to be released before Filoni’s event film, but that’s pretty vague. I’m hoping they’ll continue certain story elements in others series prior to that.
The speed that they do seasons of these shows makes me wonder if the movie will be released before 2030.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Quoting myself here but I just learned something new this morning. Bruce Lee is Diana Inosanto's God Father and I guess her dad is something of a legend himself who was a student of Bruce Lee. She's been doing martial arts pretty much since she was born. Even though I didn't know any of this when I watched the finale, you could just see the difference in fight quality.

Yes, Dan Inosanto is a long-time martial arts stuntman and (I think) choreographer. I was familiar with his name popping up in action film credits. I never made the connection from him to her, though. Interesting that Bruce Lee was her godfather, as I notice that her full name is "Diana Lee Inosanto".

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Quoting myself here but I just learned something new this morning. Bruce Lee is Diana Inosanto's God Father and I guess her dad is something of a legend himself who was a student of Bruce Lee. She's been doing martial arts pretty much since she was born. Even though I didn't know any of this when I watched the finale, you could just see the difference in fight quality.

Yep.

Having grown up with Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Jet Li, and Donnie Yen (and others) films, there's an aesthetic quality to their fight scenes that others don't possess. While choreographed to a T, there's a conviction in their moves that is quite convincing.

Actors who don't know martial arts may go through several months of training to "fight" in a movie, but they're often not that convincing. Examples include the fight scenes in The Matrix (1999) and Charlie's Angels (2000). While choreographed by Yuen Wo Ping, an acknowledged expert, the likes of Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, and Cameron Diaz (and it's not their fault) just don't compare to a martial arts practitioner who's been training for years. An analogy is a non-dancer being trained to move like a Fred Astaire.

There are exceptions, certainly. Michelle Yeoh is one. Not trained in martial arts, she "learned" on the job, so to speak, and acquits herself very well in martial arts films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (and a host of earlier Hong Kong films). Maybe her childhood training in dance (ballet) helped with the grace and athleticism that martial arts can project.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It’s great news. Filoni is the best choice, and promoting him means every show and movie will be more connected. Too bad he wasn’t in the job before the sequel trilogy went into production.

Also, this virtually assures a second season for Ahsoka.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Since this is the most recent SW show, I thought I'd add this news item here.
I'll have to go the opposite way here. I thought Ahsoka was the worst written SW series I've ever seen, and that's saying something. No doubt Filoni knows Star Wars, and I never had the problems I had with Ahsoka with either Clone Wars or Rebels, but Ahsoka, IMHO, was a hot mess. Nearly unwatchable. If that's what the future of SW storytelling is, I'm out. Especially on the heels of Mando S3, which was a fractured mess (though not as bad as Ahsoka). I think creating this upcoming movie was the worst thing that could have happened to SW, because its gravity distorted nearly all the series storytelling, bending it toward convergence in "the movie." SW isn't the MCU and it may prove catastrophic that it tried to be.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Last edited:

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Just to follow up on why I thought Ahsoka was so bad. There were hardly any plot points, to start with. Sabine lies to Ahsoka's face twice. Doesn't matter. Anakin's appearances had absolutely nothing to do with the plot, except maybe for the last one, but by then, the series was over. Deus ex machina moved in and made a home in this series. 3PO arriving with a note to bail out a story problem is more than enough said when it comes to the lazy writing in this show.

But let me be more specific. There was a light saber fight about every twenty-eight minutes (not including end credits). The Force was used about every eighteen minutes. None of it has any meaning because the outcomes of all the light saber fights didn't advance the plot at all. Not once. They had no consequence whatsoever. Nothing matters when the Force is being used willy nilly. There's no real jeopardy.

Think back to the original Star Wars movie. One light saber fight. Vader uses the Force and Ben uses the Force. It was used sparingly to great effect. The same in Empire. A little more in Jedi.

Light sabers clash and the Force is being used every few minutes. And it cheapens the experience. The mystery of it, the wonder of it, the gravity of it is deadened by overuse.

To top it off, in this series, Ahsoka is about the most stoic, boring character I have ever seen in a SW show. If she's not fighting, she sucks the energy out of just about every scene she's in.

The writer's guide must have said something like, "Every time the audience thinks something is about to happen, insert a scene or two of dead air waiting."

It was painful to get through, and all anyone has to do is look back through this thread to see that my feelings about it are far from unique.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I'll backtrack a bit and say I was most interested in seeing a live action Thrawn, having read all of the novels featuring his character. I sorta wish there had been more scenes exhibiting the extent of his strategic masterminding and observational skills that make him a sort of "military Sherlock Holmes," at least for those who are unfamiliar with why everyone is so obviously terrified of him.
Hah. Lars was driving me nuts. I heard that voice, I knew that voice but I couldn't place it. When I saw his picture I realized it was from Sherlock.

I enjoyed this series. My biggest gripe (as someone who never saw more that 1 or 2 eps of Rebels) is that Sabine was so unlikeable for me. Her combination of arrogance, selfishness and recklessness just doesn't work I don't find it sympathetic in any respect. If its who she is, then whatever. But after reuniting with Ezra, she is such an idiot she won't explain why she is there or what is going on or the imminent threats over the horizon. Instead, its just like old times back home with nary a care in the world.

My understanding from what I have read is this is concurrent with Mandalorian. He is done with Mandalore for the present, working as a contractor for the New Alliance and Thrawn's return will be part of Mandalorian S4.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Thrawn's return will be part of Mandalorian S4.
Well that's just stupid if true. I never bothered with Mandalorian, and I don't intend to start watching it in season 4 without seeing the other seasons, so if this is the case, I'll never see any resolution to the story brought up in Ahsoka, making it that much more pointless then it already was. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
There are exceptions, certainly. Michelle Yeoh is one. Not trained in martial arts, she "learned" on the job, so to speak, and acquits herself very well in martial arts films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (and a host of earlier Hong Kong films). Maybe her childhood training in dance (ballet) helped with the grace and athleticism that martial arts can project.

Yeah, her skills looked pretty good to me, dating back to Legendary Trio and with young Jet Li in Shaolin Temple.

My introduction to Donnie Yen was Legend of the Wolf

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Well that's just stupid if true. I never bothered with Mandalorian, and I don't intend to start watching it in season 4 without seeing the other seasons, so if this is the case, I'll never see any resolution to the story brought up in Ahsoka, making it that much more pointless then it already was. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Well, the remnants of the Empire and their machinations has been an integral part of The Mandalorian. They just got their main strategist back and at the end of S3 Mandalorian they wacked Moff Gideon. So its appears Thrawn will be somewhere in S4. Now, given the forthcoming movie, he won't be saturating S4 and he won't be resolved either...

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Great news regarding Dave Filoni‘s promotion.

Too bad he wasn’t in the job before the sequel trilogy went into production.
Agreed. It would have been somewhat cohesive at least.

I thought Ahsoka was the worst written SW series I've ever seen, and that's saying something.
Eh, opinions are what they are, but I think more would rank it higher than either Obi-Wan or The Book of Boba Fett.

I have some nitpicks about Ahsoka but enjoyed it overall.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I had fairly high hopes for Ahsoka, but found it to be mostly, well, boring. Every time Rosario Dawson was on-screen she just sucked the life right out of everything. It sure was pretty to look at though.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I had fairly high hopes for Ahsoka, but found it to be mostly, well, boring. Every time Rosario Dawson was on-screen she just sucked the life right out of everything. It sure was pretty to look at though.
Agreed. It also helps when you have a lightsaber fight at least once every episode, that there's some consequence to it. In Star Wars, Obi-Wan provides a distraction and dies. In Empire, Luke learns who Vader is and loses a hand. In Jedi, Luke proves himself a Jedi and saves his father. In TPM, Liam Nesson dies. In ATOC, Anakin loses some body parts on his way to becoming Vader. You get the idea.

There wasn't a single consequence to a single light saber fight in Ahsoka. Sabine recovers from the exact lightsaber wound that killed Qui-Gon Jinn. It's just ridiculous. Anakin being in that series had virtually zero to do with the plot. There were no causal effects from Anakin at all. Zero.

I could go on and on. Sabine lies. Puts everybody in danger. No consequences. Nothing happened in virtually the entire series that couldn't have happened in one or two episodes.

If you had told me Dave Filoni was taking over creative control before I saw Ahsoka, I would have been ecstatic. Now I am filled with dread for the shallow, inconsequential storytelling that apparently lies ahead. Ahsoka was so superficial, and when it wasn't superficial, it was full of do-nothing dead air.

This is the state of the art for Star Wars now? And people are okay with it?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
There wasn't a single consequence to a single light saber fight in Ahsoka.

Morgan Elsbeth might disagree with that assertion.

Anakin being in that series had virtually zero to do with the plot. There were no causal effects from Anakin at all. Zero.

Anakin's scenes with Ahsoka in the Way Between Worlds permitted her to come to terms with her abandonment of her former mentor. They permitted her to grow as an individual and paved the way for her to become Sabine's mentor and to improve their relationship. It is no coincidence that her attire was altered following her encounter with her former master.

Sabine lies. Puts everybody in danger. No consequences.

Yep. And because of her actions Ezra is able to return to the Prime Galaxy.

This is the state of the art for Star Wars now? And people are okay with it?

Apparently it is and some of us are fine with it. It isn't the best D+ series set in the Star Wars universe, but it certainly is not the worst. But these are just my opinions, and we disagree about this series.

- Walter.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Morgan Elsbeth might disagree with that assertion.

Anakin's scenes with Ahsoka in the Way Between Worlds permitted her to come to terms with her abandonment of her former mentor. They permitted her to grow as an individual and paved the way for her to become Sabine's mentor and to improve their relationship. It is no coincidence that her attire was altered following her encounter with her former master.

Yep. And because of her actions Ezra is able to return to the Prime Galaxy.

Apparently it is and some of us are fine with it. It isn't the best D+ series set in the Star Wars universe, but it certainly is not the worst. But these are just my opinions, and we disagree about this series.

- Walter.
I'm glad you liked it. My problem is that the characters act so immature on a surface level that it's hard for me to buy the subtle changes you find so key. But I'm glad you got something out of it. I just don't believe there was any reason for Anakin to draw his saber on Ahsoka at the dimensional doorway. The light saber fight had nothing to do with the dialogue. It worked at cross purposes. Too many light saber fights; so many they are meaningless. Plus, I just can't abide putting the entire galaxy at risk so Sabine can save Ezra. It's just one example of implausible recklessness and immaturity that makes it hard for me hard to buy the higher level changes that you seem to discern and appreciate. Animated characters can get away with things that live-action characters look absurd doing. Sabine's devotion to Ezra doesn't strike me as true and loyal but blatantly dangerous. She doesn't strike me as any kind of hero, but more of a moron. Even worse. She could doom the galaxy to ruin. It's just hard for me to get behind characters that are so irrational. MTFBWY.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks