What's new

Advice/Opinions on a HT system (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Lee
Okay the one thing that is 100% locked in is going to be my Panasonic 42" GT25 3d plasma and I have an Xbox 360 I use for streaming/gaming a lot.

The next few things I were thinking about buying are the following:

Receiver: Onkyo 608/708 (319 vs 499 on AC4L) or Pioneer 1020k/1120k (Probably the one I am having the most trouble deciding on not exactly sure if its worth getting one over the other, kind of leaning towards the Onkyo for ARC HDMI compatibility)

Speakers: Fluance SXHTB+ 5.0 Surround Sound (although Jomo is slightly tempting or something like a build your own cabinet)

Sub: Either BIC F-12 or Lava Sub (kind of leaning towards BIC for money reasons)

Bluray player: Sony S570 (Although I have read of some people having a lot of problems with this so I am slightly uneasy on this purchase)

Power: Belkin PureAV PF30 (live in an older house and kinda want to protect my AV system with this especially since its only 90)

So now that I have given choices I guess I will give a little bit of background on what I intend to do with it. Id say 40% - movies/tv 35% - games - 25% music. And I am looking to utilize my 3d hence the choice of 1.4a supported receivers. Although I am interested in getting a receiver that will last me a while and I was reading on here somewhere that having pre-outs will allow you to keep a receiver longer so that makes the 708 a little bit more appealing even if its nearly 200 more plus the other bells and whistles that get added to it. But as far as budget.. if I got the 708 / Fluance / BIC speaking purely audio thats about 1100 or 1200 shipped which in all honesty is probably a little bit over my budget but if its going to be something that will last me a while and has room to improve sooner or later I think I will be okay with it.

Also on another note I have some 16 ga kicker speaker wire that I have from an old car audio install is using that a bad idea or should I just go ahead and get some 12 ga from monoprice or something?

Hope to get some feedback on this! Thanks!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Lee

The only question I have is in making your speaker selection have you actually listened to the speakers that you have selected? Have you compared them to others that you have listened to, as the only important thing is that you have selected the speakers that sound best to you.

It is impossible for any of us to select your speakers for you. As humans tend to perceive and process sound differently. What you may like I may not.

The receivers you have selected are both quality units you cannot go wrong with either one. Select the one that has the features you value most.

Nothing wrong with free 16 gage wire. One of the downsides of 12 gage is sometimes it may be a bit thick to fit some speaker connections.

Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the response Bill!

I actually haven't gotten listen to any yet I think I found a place that carries the Jumos so I will try and check them out but I am almost positive there is no where in my area that carries the Fluances.

And I imagine as far as the wiring goes it really should be too big of a deal either way due to the fact the lengthiest run is going to at max 20 feet or so.

Do you have any personal suggestion's on some speakers to check out and possibly go hear for say under $300-$500, doesn't necessarily have to have a sub either.

I saw a pair of Infinity 162s and a PC350 over at AVS for about 225 + shipping which seems like okay, I remember reading about them on a thread somewhere.

EDIT: Also quick question about the BR Player, if I got the S570 which doesn't say it supports the Dolby HD stuff or anything like that would having a receiver that has this mean I could use it or does the BR player require Dolby HD as well? Hope that's clear enough.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Lee, how big is your room? If twenty feet is your max wire run, I guess it is not too big. 16ga. wire should be fine and so should this speaker recommendation...

I have been loving my new Mirage Nanosats. I would call it a warm, relaxed, natural sound. Currently I am only using them in a 2.1 setup in my bedroom with a 42" LCD, because I have delayed putting together my living room system for a couple of months. But, they sound great and I can't wait to hear 5.1

They include a sub and they are in your price range, so audition some, if you get a chance. Here's a link to show you what the system is...

http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Nanosat-5-1-High-Performance-Speaker/dp/B001H2VBD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296804979&sr=8-1

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks