What's new

Newbie Needs Your Advice for Speaker Selection Between Def Tech or Episode System (1 Viewer)

Robbenz

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Lynch
Would really love to hear your opinions about these two different speaker systems. I want to set up a dedicated HT room in my basement. It is about 20 x 16, one wall open that I'm planning to close in with pocket doors. Room has a drop ceiling and is carpeted.[ATTACHMENT=466]RoBBfloor plan.pdf (98k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT] Floor plan is attached. Love listening to music and watching movies and hoping to set up a HT room with a 5.1 surround sound quality that makes you feel like you're immersed in the movie like at a real theater. Will probably be used 80% movies and 20% music. Here is what I'm working with thus far: Denon 2312 CI Cable HD box Roku WII Bluray PANY DMP-BDT220 (tentative on this BR player -- waiting to make this purchase last) Option 1 Definitive Tech System BP-8020ST Front Towers CS-8040HD Center DI 6.5R In-Ceiling Rear This is the system I'm leaning towards but would like to get some feedback on what you all think, given what I'm trying to accomplish. Based on my research I'm comfortable with the pricing as they're on sale and the CI estimate came in below the retailer's sale prices. Option 2 - Episode Snap AV System 700 Series TWR6 Towers 500 Series ES500 LCR -4 Center 300 Series ES300 -IC6 Rear ES-SUB-12-300MB 12" powered subwoofer This system priced much higher than the Def Tech system and to me doesn't appear to be compable to the def tech system; however, I admit I don't know and would therefore like to get some opinions on what you all think if my choice is between these two.. Also, do I need a separate amplifier or is that already included in my AVR receiver? Appreciate your thoughts and any guidance you can offer in helping me to get this HT room set up in a way that would make you all proud of me:) Robin

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not a fan of the built-in subwoofer. For one thing, it's usually more of a built-in woofer, as is the case with the Def Tech. What I mean is that the mid-range is 3.5, so the 8 inch powered driver has to handle both the regular low-end and the subwoofer duties. Secondly, one of the points of a separate sub is to allow you to place it in the best place for low frequencies (Google "sub crawl"), but the tower setup means the subs have a fixed position. Next, in your case it means you aren't getting a real sub, with that large room you're be missing out on the low end with just 8" subs. And finally, I'm guessing the auto-calibrate of the receiver won't be able to configure properly if it doesn't directly control the power of each speaker. So of the two, I'd go with the Episodes. Although I'm not crazy about the dip between 2-5K (bt at least they publish their graph). I also would look to get a sub from a dedicated sub manufacturer, such as Hsu or SVS.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main issue I have with the Def Tech "powered subwoofer" towers is... Even though they have a "LFE in"...it doesn't do anything. It is "all for show". Granted I've not read the owners manual for the new 80X0 models, but the prior 700X were that way. Yes, the 700X/80X0 sound good...but I don't think the implementation is what people are expecting it to be. They aren't the first company to have "self-powered woofers"(BIC made a series, ML currently has a few, and Apogee made their living that way)...but they are the only one calling them..."Internal subwoofer"...they need to "cut the BS"...or wire it the way they advertise it.

Robbenz

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Lynch
Thanks Al & Sam for the input. I'm still very much on the fence. I'm making the rounds now to actually listen to several different speaker systems in person. This however has only seemed to have complicated the situation as my hearing taste are requiring me to move up up and up again from where I initially started out....translate $$$. I heard the B&Ws demo'd earlier this week and LOVED them compared to the Def Tech model I was considering. And I hate to admit it because most probably don't care about this, but these babies were absolutely gorgeous to just look at. But I'm not pulling the trigger just yet because I really hadn't intended to go quite that high and I don't know for certain if my Denon 2312 CI receiver is powerful enough to even drive the B&W's Center Channel (CMC2-GB) and CM8 towers that I really fell hard for. And so my search continues.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
We've all succumbed to the ratchet effect, he more you research the more you want that next level. Good luck resisting! The Denon will power the B&Ws. They are 8 ohm and while they are extra efficient, they aren't too bad at 88 db. (Of course, if you want to be conservative, get a receiver with main-zone pre-outs; then you can add an amp for the main speakers if you find you need more power.) And I don't discount looks at all. You don't want to get good looking junk, but once your at a certain point, having something you love to look at only enhances the enjoyment. I tend to use it as a tie-breaker. You're definitely doing the right thing listening to as many speakers as you can. One thing to note there though, they may sound a little different in your room. So make sure they can easily be returned. Good luck and enjoy the search.

Robbenz

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Lynch
Well GENTs my search is now over (at least for a speaker system). Found a fabulous deal yesterday on a Def Tech speaker system package and purchased it. I have not heard this model BP-8060 STs in person but since I know I was good with the BP-8040s that I did hear in person, I feel confident I'll love these. They're not pretty per se like the B&Ws but the costs savings is significant. I'm so tickled...Fingers Crossed! Robin .........PROUD OWNER OF......... Definitive Technology BP-8060ST Bipolar Tower with Built-In Powered Subwoofer CS-8040HD Center Channel Speaker BP-8040 SS Speaker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks