What's new

Advice on subwoofer and wires (1 Viewer)

Tom Fl

Grip
I am currently in the final stages of building a 5.1 (for now at least) system. So far I have:
Polk RTi 70's
CSi40
Sony STR985 receiver

Since I have the 70's up front I will probably get a pair of FXi50's for the rear. Currently, I have a small condo and can't really get full use out of the HT system but I want to have an eye to the future. In 1-2 years I plan to build a much better system (I love the Ref 50). The subwoofer is where the question is. I would like to get a good sub that I can keep when I start upgrading. As much as I would love to get a Polk sub (650) while they are offering the $200 deal when I get the FX50's I might be better served getting a better sub that I won't need to replace in a few years as I upgrade the rest. Can anyone throw some opinions out? I am looking at the SVS 20-39 PC+.

Also, I have been using some old wire and will be getting new speaker wire for all 5 speakers. I hate to open a can of worms but can anyone offer some advice on the best (and most cost effective) 12 ga wire? I would like to stay under $1/foot.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I have been reading this forum for awhile and finally decided to register and hopefully contribute.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Tom:

I have a very similar speaker system but mine is 7.1 - RT800i, CS400i, f/x1000, CS245i (x2), SVS 20-39PC+. Denon AVR-3803.

The 20-39PC+ is a fabulous match-up with the Polk speaks. I run all mine on small with either an 80 or 60 Hz filter point. Transition to the sub is seamless.

The 20-39PC+ so totally outclasses the PSW650 in all measureable performance parameters that they should not even be mentioned in the same sentence together. Definitely stick with your plans for the SVS and don't look back at the PSW650.

Speaker wire? Now that's a can of worms I won't go into with regard to sound quality differences. I will only say I personally use 14 or 12 gauge depending on the length of the run, and I don't think you need to spend an arm and a leg to get decent grade/quality speaker wire that gets the job done just fine for the type of speakers you (and I) are using. Radio Shack, Home Depot, Parts Express is where I'd start. If you have niggling doubts, buy a single length of the "higher grade" stuff and do an honest double blind test and decide for yourself.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks