What's new

A PEEK AT HEAVEN AND EARTH (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Oh, the horror, the horror. Oh, the calling for heads to roll, the blame, the shame - that's the name of the game. I have read such damning comments elsewhere. It began with a reviewer downgrading his original video score and adding comments that had been mentioned in a thread about the film. Warners had given Twilight Time an ancient master filled with "combing" and "jaggies" especially in one memorable jaggy scene at about the thirty-two minute mark. And so that went on for days - typical Warners early transfer crap, said they. Then something funny happened. One of the head honchos came on and said the problems with Heaven and Earth weren't sourced based - the transfer was not the problem, the authoring was the problem. He neglected to say whether he'd actually seen the disc, but let's put that aside for the moment. Then everyone suddenly changed their stories and Twilight Time, not Warners, were the complete villain. They had somehow screwed up the authoring on a perfectly okay but older transfer. My head was already spinning before I read that it was back to Warners being the villain. Somewhere in all this, I began to wonder if anyone, ANYONE, had actually watched the damn movie. The answer is - the reviewer, certainly. The head honcho - doubtful. The others pontificating? From what I could tell, maybe two or three.

Now, I must be really stupid - I hear talk of jaggies I want to see the damn jaggies whatever they are. But here's how I don't want to see them: I don't want to sit one foot from my 55" TV. I don't want to pause the image and then blow it up. I don't want to look at a magnified screen capture. I want to see the damn jaggies as I'm watching the motion picture. One person said they hadn't seen them or what a couple of people called "pixilation." But he was angry anyway because even though he hadn't seen them he "knew" they were there. At that point I began to think I was reading an Ionesco play rather than a discussion board.

So, I put on Heaven and Earth, a motion picture. I watched the first ten minutes - looked pretty good to me. It was apparent immediately that it wasn't a new transfer, just like a lot of Warners' Blu-rays back in the day were not new transfers - there was a bit of dirt, a scratch or two (not noted by the reviewer, BTW), but I was seeing excellent color, nice detail and something that looked reasonably like the photography of Robert Richardson, which in the case of this film is fairly breathtaking. Perfect? No. Acceptable and nice looking - absolutely positively. Is it a decade old master? I don't know, I don't care. Could it be better? I have no doubt. Is it a travesty of the highest order? Of course not.

I got twenty minutes in - still looked fine to me, with all the caveats above. Then I got thirty minutes in and I couldn't wait to see all the combing and the jaggies so I could finally see what all that stuff looked like. I was primed, I was ready, I was salivating. I took a sip of Diet Coke, ate a piece of candy and hunkered down. The specific scene that had everyone in an uproar came on. My eyes combed the screen for combing but funnily I didn't see any. Then my eyes darted from object to object looking for those damn jaggies and damn if I saw one, so either I need to go take a class in jaggy identification or they're just not noticeable when watching a motion picture. I went back and watched it again because, you know, the eyes can play tricks. I looked and looked and didn't see anything untoward. Oh, I suppose I could have paused the image and blown it up, then have gone right up to the TV and combed for combing and jaggies, but alas, I did not. After all, if I couldn't see them from a reasonable viewing distance then of what concern were they to me. Perhaps if I was watching this on a 120 inch screen I might have seen them, although who knows really? Then I went back and watched the scene a third time because I actually wanted to know what was happening in the movie.

So, this seems like the same tempest in a teapot as Titus's teapot. A decade old master (although no one actually KNOWS how old this is, but I would posit that it could not have the detail that it has if it were much older than that). Now, what no one probably wants to hear is that a lot of Blu-rays are taken from decade old masters and those transfers have been praised to the high heavens so I'm not really seeing the point. For example, right here on this site the praise was lovely for Inherit the Wind and Judgment at Nuremberg, and it was deserved. And both transfers were a decade old, as were the Woody Allen transfers that have gotten some nice praise on the thing called the Internet, as are most of what MGM has given Kino - Kino, BTW, seems to get a pass for this kind of thing regularly. Having watched the absolutely horrendous faded thing called The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and seeing people post stuff like, "I'm just grateful it's on Blu-ray, sure it could be better but this is what they were handed." There was nothing inherently wrong with Titus other than a fresh new transfer would have probably yielded a better Blu-ray, and it's the same with Heaven and Earth. I can only speak for myself, but I never once sat there and thought it was a disaster or an affront to humanity as we know it. I had a nice viewing experience of a very interesting movie by Oliver Stone, of a transfer he, at whatever point, signed off on. And since it was Mr. Stone who wanted this out and made sure it got licensed, I'd make the grand leap that he's happy it's out on Blu-ray. Warners isn't going to revisit this title anytime soon, that you can be certain of. If you like Heaven and Earth, you're safe in the purchase, at least from where I sit.

Oh, and just a side note to the head honcho - no, there are no authoring problems on Heaven and Earth. None. If you had the disc you could probably check out the bit rate and all that jazz. The authoring house that Twilight Time uses does terrific work - I've used them and I know. If one has a problem, then it's with the transfer itself and that Twilight Time can do nothing about, no matter where the transfer is coming from. The fact that the owners of Twilight Time thought the transfer was good enough to issue is really the end of the story. And it is good enough to issue and Mr. Stone is happy they issued it.

Now, I'm going to have another piece of candy and see if can find them damn jaggies even if I have to watch that scene thirty times. :) And there you have one person's opinion. I know some may refer to my friendship with one of the owners, but he and those who know me know I call it as I see it for any release I feel like writing about.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just made a post myself addressing Blu-Rage.I still can't believe people think it looks like crap. The two movies I posited over there...look worse...just based on screencaps...Yet the one is "stellar" because it started at a lower place(cinema wise)...Hogwash.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Overall it looks good,but during the first ten minutes or so there are a number of white specks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a feeling there are a few reasons for the blasting...1. Hatred for the TT model2. Cost. See #13. Elitist attitude over "BD must be pristine, since it is exalted"Forgetting1. Stone approved/wanted it released2. Warner isn't exactly a catalog caretaker(well, if you use caretaker as "buries the dead...")3. It didn't go to Archive DVD purgatory(yeah I know, really not purgatory)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
trajan said:
Overall it looks good,but during the first ten minutes or so there are a number of white specks.
Yes, I noted that there's a bit of dirt and a few scratches - they go by very quickly and are mostly in opticals.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
What cracks me up is that even the modified review over at the other site STILL gives the image pretty high marks. Ironically, I've never seen this film but reading the various reviews with all this brouhaha has gotten me to do a blind buy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What's funny, I alluded that maybe the naysayers need to buy up the first 3000, then maybe TT/Stone could gang up on WB to do a new master....Then TT could do a new run of 5000, giving the prior 3000 something else to bitch about.And amazingly, over there, all the bitching..."I bought Inferno, now it is region free and lossless, where is our recall?"Really?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
As my wise old nana Jesse used to say, "Don't ever let anyone rob your joy...and be very suspicious of anyone who tries, because they're always telling you something much darker about themselves."

Seeing this extraordinary Oliver Stone film again tonight via TT's Blu-ray...truly...gave...me..."joy". Actually, I hadn't seen Heaven and Earth since its original theatrical release, 25 years ago, so I can't compare it to any previous home video incarnations, but I can confirm that not once was I distracted, even fleetingly, by any obvious digital artefacts, because not once was I looking for them...I was just too damn engaged by this fine film! Or is there some other reason we remain diehards for the cinematic art form? Surely it hasn't come down to mere screen cap pixel fetish?!?

In any case, of the many orphaned studio titles I've seen resurrected from 10 year old HD masters, I thought this one was about par...imperfectly acceptable...credible where it counts...so no foul*. Of course, in a better world WB would have lovingingly remastered it for the Archive by now, but hey, look what it took for Mr. Stone to convince the studio to let Twilight Time run with it in the first place. At least TT recognized its continuing value to the medium and within Stone's body of work. What's WB's excuse?**

* at least not at my scale of viewing (in the 50" - 60" range).

** with the home studio's insistance on Region A locking, not allowing a Kitaro IST, and use of a legacy HD master, one might be forgiven for wondering if they were purposely throwing up roadblocks to undermine this release? :rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't know the public feud between forces at BR.com and TT is still on-going. I don't want it to carry over to this site as I did notice some posters there are members here too.

In a nutshell, is some of the criticism towards this disc legit and is the problems noted prevalent throughout the disc?

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
Robert Crawford said:
I didn't know the public feud between forces at BR.com and TT is still on-going. I don't want it to carry over to this site as I did notice some posters there are members here too. In a nutshell, is some of the criticism towards this disc legit and is the problems noted prevalent throughout the disc?
Yes. If by chance if you've ever owned or still own the first releases of WB The Fugitive, the single releases of Lethal Weapons 1 and 2, or Enter the Dragon, these releases share the same technical issues. If those releases didn't bother you then this release probably won't either. If you did see those titles and noticed these issues then you'll notice them here. I did casually from about 8 feet away from a 60 inch display. It effects about all edges of objects and characters.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
I didn't know the public feud between forces at BR.com and TT is still on-going. I don't want it to carry over to this site as I did notice some posters there are members here too.

In a nutshell, is some of the criticism towards this disc legit and is the problems noted prevalent throughout the disc?
It has nothing to do with a feud and everything to do with rather bad behavior on the part of a few. That's all it is. In answer to your nutshell, it's an older master that looks pretty damn good to my eyes - great color, good detail - I saw none of the "problems" that those people are going on about. I looked and I did not see - it's all in my post above. Jaggies? Didn't see 'em. Pixilation? Sorry, MIA to my eyes watching this motion picture. And as I said, several ten year old transfers have recently got highly recommended right here at the HTF by both Mr. Harris and some of your reviewers. The ten year old transfers get highly recommended because they look great and serve the films. Could they be better with a fresh new scan - sure. Could Heaven and Earth? Sure. But there is nothing wrong with the Heaven and Earth transfer, IMO - if you like the film and certainly if you're a fan of its cameraman, I should think you'll be pleased enough with it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A problem is a 10yo transfer.Great. All movies must be redone tomorrow. I decree it, make it so.Now that we've choked on fairy dust...can we get real?Period, does it look better than every preceding DVD...and has it not been DNR'd to hell and back?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
It has nothing to do with a feud and everything to do with bad and silly behavior on the part of a few. That's all it is. In answer to your nutshell, it's an older master that looks pretty damn good to my eyes - great color, good detail - I saw none of the "problems" that those people are going on about. I looked and I did not see - it's all in my post above. Jaggies? Didn't see 'em. Pixilation? Sorry, MIA to my eyes watching this motion picture. And as I said, several ten year old transfers have recently got highly recommended right here at the HTF by both Mr. Harris and some of your reviewers. The ten year old transfers get highly recommended because they look great and serve the films. Could they be better with a fresh new scan - sure. Could Heaven and Earth? Sure. But there is nothing wrong with the Heaven and Earth transfer, IMO - if you like the film and certainly if you're a fan of its cameraman, I should think you'll be pleased enough with it.
So there isn't a public feud between some BR.com reviewers and TT? If so that thread in question mentions some personal comments made on TT's FB page that appear to confirm some disagreements between certain parties. That's not true?

As to the ten year old transfer, I have plenty of BDs with such transfers and have been happy with their video presentations.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Tama said:
Yes. If by chance if you've ever owned or still own the first releases of WB The Fugitive, the single releases of Lethal Weapons 1 and 2, or Enter the Dragon, these releases share the same technical issues. If those releases didn't bother you then this release probably won't either. If you did see those titles and noticed these issues then you'll notice them here. I did casually from about 8 feet away from a 60 inch display. It effects about all edges of objects and characters.
Needless to say I disagree with your assessment and I was LOOKING for this stuff REALLY hard. Then again, I was also watching a movie. I just don't get this stuff at all so I'll just bow out because I've said all I need to say and people can and will judge for themselves. And thanks for not calling me the condescending name you called me on the other board. Really.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tama said:
Are those issues enough of a problem to generate a eight page thread in such a short period of time? I still have those discs you mentioned and those issues haven't bother me, but I can see why others might feel differently. By the way, I have bought some later BD releases of those titles and there is some noted improvement I can see with my tired old eyes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Needless to say I disagree with your assessment and I was LOOKING for this stuff REALLY hard. Then again, I was also watching a movie. I just don't get this stuff at all so I'll just bow out because I've said all I need to say and people can and will judge for themselves. And thanks for not calling me the condescending name you called me on the other board. Really.
As I stated, we're not going to allow any disrespectful behavior here!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
So there isn't a public feud between some BR.com reviewers and TT? If so that thread in question mentions some personal comments made on TT's FB page that appear to confirm some disagreements between certain parties. That's not true?

As to the ten year old transfer, I have plenty of BDs with such and have been very happy with their video presentations.
I think Twilight Time gets tired of certain things on that site and rightfully so. And I'll just leave it at that. I would not categorize it as a feud, but that's just me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is funny over there...I'm talking about the "visual final result"...as I care less about the transfer...as long as, when it was done, is was done to full capacity(it would be like driving a Ferrari F50, then getting into a 1960 Testa Rossa, then complaing the Testa Rossa wasn't as fast as the F50. No shit).The world came to an end cause TT released a movie that Oliver Stone begged and pleaded for...and at isn't fresh and squeeky clean.(Part of that thread was "they" reduced H&E from 4.5 to 4, after people complained. TT alluded(facebook) that the reviewer lacked the stones to stand behind the 4.5. That is when the typo "Blu-Rage"(facebook) happened. The "stones" and "Blu-Rage" are a page and a half to themselves)I called into question Amer, The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, The Image and Intolerance.Amer and TSCoYBT both received 4. Amer(I think) it is alluded that the "blacks are too dark" and the other one is "exceptional"...So...if all three are a 4, why all the bitching about H&E?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
I think Twilight Time gets tired of certain things on that site and rightfully so. And I'll just leave it at that. I would not categorize it as a feud, but that's just me.
Well, it takes at least two to have a disagreeable argument.

Anyhow, the BR.com reviewer still recommended the purchase of this BD release even after amending his initial review.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
haineshisway said:
It has nothing to do with a feud and everything to do with rather bad behavior on the part of a few. That's all it is. In answer to your nutshell, it's an older master that looks pretty damn good to my eyes - great color, good detail - I saw none of the "problems" that those people are going on about. I looked and I did not see - it's all in my post above. Jaggies? Didn't see 'em. .
Good for you. But then you should realise that you simply don't have good enough vision or viewing conditions to see such issues. Practically ANY issue can be made to go away when sitting far enough away or deviating from 20/20 vision in the unwanted direction. There is no difference between HD and SD, for example, from a safe distance. That does not mean HD has the same detail as SD, does it? Dismissing people who see the issue (which is a fact and clearly demonstrated on stillls from the disc) is silly. Does not help get the issue fixed and does not explain anything but your inability to see the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks