What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Tough Guys Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner's new "Tough Guys" Collection is not only a boon to completists attempting to gather the entire works of Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson, but on its own a wonderful primer into the Warner's urban drama, and a perfect addition to the earlier Gangsters Collection.

WB's technical staff has returned to the finest surviving film elements, and generally the image and audio is exemplary for the era - 1935-40.

Included are three Cagney productions, "G" Men (1935), Each Dawn I Die (1939), and City for Conquest (1940), my favorite of the group, and seen here for the first time in a restored form that I'd previously only read about.

After original release, a prologue (and as I recall, the epilogue) featuring Frank Craven, appearing in a similar fashion to his narrator role in Our Town, were removed, and are now back after half a century. Ward Bond plays a police officer in the restored opening. Interestingly, and one must assume because of the cuts, that nowhere does the film appear in Mr. Bond's filmography.

The other three productions, which round out the six film set are San Quentin (1937) with Humphrey Bogart, Pat O'Brien and Ann Sheridan in the lead, A Slight Case of Murder (1938) with Edward G. Robinson, and Bullets or Ballots (1936) with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Blondell and Mr. Bogart.

Three, "G" Men, Each Dawn I Die and Bullets or Ballots, are directed by William Keighley, who is probably best known as the director of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938).

This is yet another winner from Warner Home Video, who are continuing their superb job of mining their vaults for quality fare.

Additional extras from cartoons and shorts to commentary tracks, which have become de rigeur on WB DVDs are here joined by quality copies of films that have traveled the collector circuit for decades -- The WB Breakdown series -- the "official" studio blooper reels, which are alone worth the price of admission.

The entire set comes Highly Recommended, and what a thrill to finally see City for Conquest in its complete form!

RAH

Almir

Auditioning
Can't wait for this one. Already pre-ordered.

Warner is really doing great job with box sets, I really love their editions.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear it, I'm really looking forward to this set.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get it is load up the 5-disc DVD changer and go through all of the breakdown reels!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Wow you made my day with that news about the restored City For Conquest!!! The original press release really made no mention of the restored version, which was curious because I read about it (on one of these threads, I think) and I wondered what happened to it.

While this box set is a must-buy, this news alone makes it something I will watch as soon as I bring it home on the day it goes on sale.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I think this is my most anticipated DVD set of 2006. It's great to hear (though hardly a surprise) that this is yet another quality set from Warners.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It really is a pity when Warner makes quality expected and boring.

But in a very good way.

RAH

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris. This set looks wonderful and I can't wait to pick it up. I've never seen any of the films included, but considering that I loved the WB Gangsters Collection, I'm sure I'll feel the same way about this set. Plus, there's a number of classic Looney Tunes shorts included as extras.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Oooh, this is gonna be another great set from WB! Thanks for the heads-up, RAH. Gotta start saving my nickels...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've had this on pre-order for a week or so now, but it's still so sweet to get a stamp of approval on it like this! Only problem is I've gone from "Looking forward to watching" to "Can't wait to get my hands on this!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks