What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wild One -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Mill Creek has released one of the quintessential biker films.

Laslo Benedek's 1953 The Wild One.  A Stanley Kramer production, with a screenplay by John Paxton, and in the lead, a young Marlon Brando, in his fifth film, and second for Mr. Kramer.

We've gotten to a point with Blu-ray, that presumptions can be made, especially about HD masters crafted by Sony, and this is no exception.

The 1953 film is gorgeously rendered as a Blu-ray, with a perfect gray scale, black blacks, a highly resolved image, and perfect grain structure.

The 79 minute film fortunately, needs only a BD-25, which is the way that Mill Creek has released it.

One of the great films of the era.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

Especially with a street price of $8.99!

RAH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Spun this one last Thursday and couldn't agree more! Great movie, great presentation at a great price. I wish more would follow suit!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If the disc is as good as that, I'll have to buy it. This is film I can watch only once in a while and I never bothered to buy the DVD, but I can't resist a superb Blu-ray disc.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Couldn't agree more. I picked this one up a while back, along with the Mill Creek release of Lady from Shanghai, which is equally strong. Great to see these films in this quality. Especially Lady from Shanghai, after two failed attempts from TCM.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
When they're given good masters to work with, they do solid encodes, I will certainly give them that. They've always been a "bargain" company, but they clearly care about quality, and when they get gorgeous masters, like these from Sony, they can do them justice on disc. Unlike most "bargain" companies of the same ilk.

Very, very happy to see them releasing classics like The Wild One and The Lady from Shanghai in such high quality...and at insanely low prices, no less. These are beautiful renderings. I'll hang on to my DVD editions for the extras, of course.

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Barr
Its a bit of a mystery to me how Mill Creek ended up with the Columbia catalog. The early blu-ray releases were strangely bundled double features without much grasp of enticing packaging. They are certainly improving here lately on the blu-ray AND DVD fronts.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Andrew: once upon a time, I was hoping for an upgrade S,LS, but I watched it recently (for the first time in many years), and I just cringed at the silly plot line, shrill acting by Ms.Taylor, and the heroic attempts by Clift and Hepburn to keep a straight face during the whole fiasco. All that said, the film, like so many others of questionable artistic merit, deserves a rerelease or restoration; unfortunately, I'm not going to waste any more money on Tennessee's alcoholic, hysterical misfires (and, please, PLEASE, don't lobby for a reissue of Boom! I was embarrassed by the film when I first saw it in high school when I was still an impressionable, emotional teen. What dreck!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks