What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sound of Music -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC in 70MM over 50 times, during its original roadshow engagement, and in 1973 re-release, and there isn't a second of the film that is too dark to make out someone's face or appearance. While I find some color issues with the Blu-ray, my biggest issue with it, is the soundtrack, which is botched.

I saw I about 100 or more times as we screened in 70mm for 41 weeks.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I hear what you are saying but Wise didn't look at the laserdisc in 480 resolution he was at the studio looking at the high resolution scans, but I was only using the laserdisc as a starting point, it was the same color scheme used in the 40th anniversary which looked alot better, probably a remastered version of the laserdisc transfer because after checking a few months ago and comparing, it's exactly the same color. I have the feeling if he were alive today he would not approve of the blu-ray. The problem we have is that there are younger people working on transfers nowadays that have no idea what this looked like in 1965 or 1973 for the reissue. So it seems to me there seems to be alot of guessing. They say they had a 70mm print they compared to but I don't believe it, no 70mm print ever looked so completely brown and yellow and green like the blu-ray does.

I don't believe there were "high resolution" scans in 1994.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The 70mm DTS version I saw a couple of years ago was soft and darkish and no way matches an original 1965 print projected with Carbons.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The 70mm DTS version I saw a couple of years ago was soft and darkish and no way matches an original 1965 print projected with Carbons.
Do you feel that it will ever be possible to match the color palates of an original 1965 70mm print, in terms of a new restoration and transfer to 4K?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I feel you could not match the color palates as Digital has such a different look on projection even with laser light.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The thrill of seeing this movie in 70mm on a large screen in a theatre with a live audience will give you chills. There is nothing like it when she does that spin and the audience cheers. It is a visceral experience like none other I've ever known in a cinema. It gives you actual chills down your spine and goosebumps. As far as the colors go, whenever I saw it like that I remember it having the same brownish color scheme on the bluray. However, I find the laserdisc color scheme much more pleasing. It has a pink and blue look to it that was supposedly preferred by the director. We've all analyzed over and over what makes this film so great and I think it is mostly Julie Andrews. I believe she was playing herself in this film and so authentic that you can't help but falling in love with her and the film and that's what makes you want to experience it again and again.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My first Roller-Coaster ride was not upon a Roller-Coaster.
It was at the age of 5 and I was sitting in the front-row balcony, while watching "The Sound of Music".
The dips and drops of an aerial ride; along with that ultimate swoop upon Julie Andrews, as she first appears.
My stomach dropped, as I remember holding tightly onto the brass rail before me.
Without exaggeration, warnerbro captured it perfectly. It was truly " a visceral experience like none other...".

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I feel you could not match the color palates as Digital has such a different look on projection even with laser light.
That's the answer I feared.
I guess we should now only campaign Mr. Belston for a 4K with the original sound design, restored and intact.
At least this could be salvageable, right?

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I guess we should now only campaign Mr. Belston for a 4K with the original sound design, restored and intact.
I'd add with the stipulation that the original sound design is restored to both 1080p Blu-ray AND 4K UHD-Blu-ray versions! :)

CHEERS! :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping that EVENING PRIMROSE will be released on bluray in the future..

I would be satisfied if they could find the original color version. As it was recorded on video tape and not filmed I don't think a blu ray would improve the picture quality. Evening Primrose was a musical Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

I agree. I can see that this means as much to other people here as it does to me, so I agree with you that we should start a campaign about this. If we can get them to understand where they went wrong and they actually listen to us and are willing to do it right, I don't think we would see any change until the 55th anniversary when I suspect the 4k version will be released (in 2020) unless they decide to do a 4k blu-ray before that. They already made a 4k scan.

My biggest worry is that the current version is what we are going to be stuck with on everything above 480p from here on out. I am really shocked at their lack of respect for the color palette and soundtrack on The Sound of Music and the picture on The King and I. You don't just guess on these things and they had the Wide-approved laserdisc to compare too yet they decided to color the film with huge changes unlike any previous source and to cut off all of the high end of the soundtrack. I can't believe they would work with the 6 track masters for the first time and cut off all of the high frequencies.

I will try and find Mr. Belston's email or snail mail address and of Mike Dunn, head of Fox Home Entertainment.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To answer the question re mag v DTS 70, two very different beasts.

We can no longer stripe print due to health concerns.

DTS is fine, and works as long as they is someone competent in the booth. It's a fine system.

Aurally, many differences.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
RAH,

You originally gave this Blu-Ray a 'highly recommended'.

Given the recent posts in this thread, do you still feel that way? Or do you now feel this needs to be redone?

Personally I think the current disc is good, but obviously there are others who are 'highly dissatisfied'

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH,

You originally gave this Blu-Ray a 'highly recommended'.

Given the recent posts in this thread, do you still feel that way? Or do you now feel this needs to be redone?

Personally I think the current disc is good, but obviously there are others who are 'highly dissatisfied'

SoM would make a gorgeous 4k release, and Fox has the people in place to create it!

Our technologies continue to grow, and add new tools with which we can work.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
To answer the question re mag v DTS 70, two very different beasts.

We can no longer stripe print due to health concerns.

DTS is fine, and works as long as they is someone competent in the booth. It's a fine system.

Aurally, many differences.
Could you define the term and meaning of "stripe print"?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
SoM would make a gorgeous 4k release, and Fox has the people in place to create it!

Our technologies continue to grow, and add new tools with which we can work.
Thrilled about both of your replies on Posts #393 and #394; as the recent conversations had become counter-intuitive to what I've been learning about concerning the advancements of technology and restoration. After the second 70mm restoration and BD transfer of "Lawrence of Arabia", I knew that all was possible. Thanks for putting the conversations back on track, as I am certain that all are glad to learn differently amidst our current states of near resignation. This is altogether fantastic and uplifting news, to say the least.

BTW, it was your review from this very thread that led to my finally shifting over to BD purchases. Although I did not have the advantages of High-End Equipment that other HTF members do I, nonetheless, marveled at what I was seeing. Goosebumps and, to be honest, a few occasional tears were my experience from watching "The Sound of Music" on BD. It also made me a Shawn Belston fan, as well. I was quite moved by the work that had been achieved. Nonetheless, the ensuing technical conversations upon this thread have been compelling. So, do you agree with the others that the color palate and sound design are something to be further tweaked at this stage of our technical advancements?

Finally, what aspects from "The Sound of Music" OCN and its future 4K transfer would you hope to see improved, as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks