What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Last Warning -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is something sublime about the final years of the silent era. The cinematography, lighting and ability to communicate and affect an audience hit a crest that would not be re-captured by the studios for years.

Flicker Alley's release of Universal's 1929 production, directed by Paul Leni, is one such production.

One of the final hybrid silent/sound productions, it bristles with silent energy.

Presumably, we have this film on Blu-ray because Universal was willing to work with the archives and Flicker Alley, and allow them both access and the ability to release, and for that hat is off.

The less discussed about this delightful film, the better. Most important thing is that it's a worthwhile
purchase and a great addition to any serious library.

Image quality varies, but is generally fine. Any restorative efforts are minimized, as the costs would not be recovered. Music track by Arthur Barrow, works nicely.

That early Universal logo always reminds me of the Pathe logo, with the rooster.

Image – 3.25+

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
all 3 releases that Flicker Alley did of Mr. Leni's work are worthwhile purchases for fans of silent films, I had hoped that one more would have materialized by now, The Cat and the Canary (1927)

and agree, that end of the silent era holds an image that dropped for a few year when sound first arrived.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I'm interested in seeing this and would purchase it if not for my fear (based on Laurel & Hardy) of how much work it would take to add this to my movie server. I spent an entire day with Laurel & Hardy and if I had to do the same with this title there would be too many spoilers.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Fun movie, even if it pales in comparison to Paul Leni's previous film The Man Who Laughs, one of the masterpieces of the silent era. Really glad Flicker Alley put out those two.

What really makes this special is it's one of over a dozen major restorations (more like resurrections) by Universal. Anyone familiar with cinema history would know Universal didn't really take care of their silents and most of what has circulated has been with the grace of archives and collectors. They've had an initiative for the last decade or so picking both deep cuts and the better known ones. Except for these two, the rest have made their way to Kino Lorber. Universal could have just kept hands-off between a lot of the titles being in the public domain or on their way, so others could handle them.

For those interested in the rest of the Universal silent restoration initiative, here's all the 14 other titles released through Kino Lorber so far:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916)
Straight Shooting (1917) - directed by John Ford, starring Harry Carey
Hell Bound (1918) - directed by John Ford, starring Harry Carey
The Delicious Little Devil (1919) - starring Rudolph Valentino and Mae Murray
Outside the Law (1920) - starring Lon Chaney, directed by Tod Browning
The Trap (1922) - starring Lon Chaney
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) - starring Lon Chaney, significant upgrade over Flicker Alley's Blu-ray
Oh Doctor! (1925) / Poker Faces (1926) - double feature starring Reginald Denny and Edward Everett Horton, respectively
The Reginald Denny Collection (1925/1926)- featuring Skinner's Dress Suit, The Reckless Age, and What Happened to Jones?
13 Washington Street (1928) - starring Jean Hersholt
The Shakedown (1929) - directed by William Wyler, starring James Murray

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Fun movie, even if it pales in comparison to Paul Leni's previous film The Man Who Laughs, one of the masterpieces of the silent era. Really glad Flicker Alley put out those two.

What really makes this special is it's one of over a dozen major restorations (more like resurrections) by Universal. Anyone familiar with cinema history would know Universal didn't really take care of their silents and most of what has circulated has been with the grace of archives and collectors. They've had an initiative for the last decade or so picking both deep cuts and the better known ones. Except for these two, the rest have made their way to Kino Lorber. Universal could have just kept hands-off between a lot of the titles being in the public domain or on their way, so others could handle them.

For those interested in the rest of the Universal silent restoration initiative, here's all the 14 other titles released through Kino Lorber so far:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916)
Straight Shooting (1917) - directed by John Ford, starring Harry Carey
Hell Bound (1918) - directed by John Ford, starring Harry Carey
The Delicious Little Devil (1919) - starring Rudolph Valentino and Mae Murray
Outside the Law (1920) - starring Lon Chaney, directed by Tod Browning
The Trap (1922) - starring Lon Chaney
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) - starring Lon Chaney, significant upgrade over Flicker Alley's Blu-ray
Oh Doctor! (1925) / Poker Faces (1926) - double feature starring Reginald Denny and Edward Everett Horton, respectively
The Reginald Denny Collection (1925/1926)- featuring Skinner's Dress Suit, The Reckless Age, and What Happened to Jones?
13 Washington Street (1928) - starring Jean Hersholt
The Shakedown (1929) - directed by William Wyler, starring James Murray
All worthwhile additions to any collection. I can attest to this.

Reactions: PMF

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
All worthwhile additions to any collection. I can attest to this.
I think there's only two on that list that I haven't picked up yet, Maybe the Reginald Denny titles. There was discussion on nitrateville that the cat and the canary was being worked on as well, I'm kind of hoping that materializes. Also for those that may be interested the last order I got from flicker alley the calendar in it reference that a Louise Brooks film was in the works. That puts a smile on my face as well!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Of the silents Universal has purportedly restored, I'm still surprised "The Home Maker" (1925) hasn't been tapped. It always sounded like something that would particularly intrigue the modern class of vintage-film critics and bloggers. Perhaps the print isn't deemed up to blu-ray standards...?

Another that has been passed over (to date) is "K-The Unknown" (1924). The title seemed to imply some kind of spy-themed blood-and-thunder tale to me. Alas, the synopsis of the film in the AFI book is anything but! More of a typical mix of melodrama and romance. Still wouldn't mind taking a gander at it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Of the silents Universal has purportedly restored, I'm still surprised "The Home Maker" (1925) hasn't been tapped. It always sounded like something that would particularly intrigue the modern class of vintage-film critics and bloggers. Perhaps the print isn't deemed up to blu-ray standards...?

Another that has been passed over (to date) is "K-The Unknown" (1924). The title seemed to imply some kind of spy-themed blood-and-thunder tale to me. Alas, the synopsis of the film in the AFI book is anything but! More of a typical mix of melodrama and romance. Still wouldn't mind taking a gander at it.
The Home Maker appears to survive at UCLA as a print derived from dupe neg.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Robert: The affiliate link to purchase The Last Warning is for the Eureka R2 release. Is it is the same transfer and quality as the Flicker Alley?

• Insightful

Moleman X

Agent
Real Name
Rob Peace
I'm interested in seeing this and would purchase it if not for my fear (based on Laurel & Hardy) of how much work it would take to add this to my movie server. I spent an entire day with Laurel & Hardy and if I had to do the same with this title there would be too many spoilers.

Of course, you could watch the disc first, then rip it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks