What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Defintion (4 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Finally. I think it’s safe to say that the amount of time we’ve hoped, pursued and waited for news of this restoration has seen about as many years invested into it as had Ethan Edwards and his own search.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm curious: I saw a really nice projected DCP in the Cinemateket in Oslo in September last year. According to Robert Harris, this was not a restored version. It looked gorgeous, though. Considerably better than the 4K UHD of Rio Bravo. So how much better can a restored version look?

IMG_9305.jpeg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm curious: I saw a really nice projected DCP in the Cinemateket in Oslo in September last year. According to Robert Harris, this was not a restored version. It looked gorgeous, though. Considerably better than the 4K UHD of Rio Bravo. So how much better can a restored version look?

View attachment 205147
Appreciably.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
The film can now be restored fully and properly.
If WB approve the project despite it's huge cost, that is.

Since their "Motion Picture Imaging" own a Lasergraphics Director 10K, which can scan (VVLA, what you said…) Large Horizontal Film Formats like VistaVision, 8-perf, Techinrama/Super Technirama 70. I don't think, it would be that problematic in that sense.

Need I say more?

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
For starters, it will hopefully have the correct colors.
It's a pretty popular title (I believe), unlike those catalog titles that either may or may not end up to sublicensors or
major-studio home video distributors.

Let's just say the 2007 BD is old as hell, and needs an update with a pristine scan, with purism (correct colors) as intended by the crew (Director, DOP, etc.) and as it was shown in theaters [as any film (depending what title, the person refers to)], if WB have it on their private master list.

We'll see...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For starters, it will hopefully have the correct colors.
I remember talking to George Feltenstein about that 2006 Blu-ray during one of our HTF visits to Warner. The colors issue was a topic that I broached with him back then so I'm pretty confident they would be fine.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In 2006, WB was not yet using ALT, Alien Layer Technology. We’ll wait for official announcements to see if the process was used in this instance.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In 2006, WB was not yet using ALT, Alien Layer Technology. We’ll wait for official announcements to see if the process was used in this instance.
The multitudes of technology used in order for the home viewer to simply sit back and enjoy the beauty of a film endlessly astounds me.

The work achieved at WB has been something to behold.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The multitudes of technology used in order for the home viewer to simply sit back and enjoy the beauty of a film endlessly astounds me.

The work achieved at WB has been something to behold.
And Universal, and Paramount, and elsewhere. None of the work performed has anything to do with home video, aside from a down-rez for another market. This work is performing, first and foremost for asset protection, before OCNs get additional fade, or the base of the stocks goes vinegar.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And Universal, and Paramount, and elsewhere. None of the work performed has anything to do with home video, aside from a down-rez for another market. This work is performing, first and foremost for asset protection, before OCNs get additional fade, or the base of the stocks goes vinegar.

We can still appreciate that quite often we end up with a much improved home theater release on Blu-ray and possibly even UHD.
The Searchers certainly would be a worthy candidate especially after many UHD releases with less detail.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I remember talking to George Feltenstein about that 2006 Blu-ray during one of our HTF visits to Warner. The colors issue was a topic that I broached with him back then so I'm pretty confident they would be fine.
They have a reference dye transfer print - that they didn't bother looking at back in the day.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
According to a posted internet story from today, Steven Spielberg watches The Searchers each and every time before directing another film.

After the release of The Searchers upon a 4K/UHD disc, one can only imagine the stratospheric heights in which Mr. Spielberg’s newer films will reach.

Here’s to John Ford and Steven Spielberg;
both of whom are national treasures.:cheers:

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
This like the best film news of all time for me.
Seeing The Searchers at a film festival many years ago in a UA 150 Cinema Dome did 2 things for me.
It made me a life long fan of The Duke & John Ford plus blew my mind starring a ton of other actors I'd seen in B&W TV Westerns growing up.

Along with others seen in a theater; 2001, The Last Picture Show, Godfather, Apocalypse Now(road show), Blade Runner, Metropolis really molded my love\fascination with film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks