What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Defintion (9 Viewers)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I remember back in the LD days, the first one released was a blurry mess. Then Warner released this amazing restored version. Once it went to DVD, all the colors were off from the perfect LD. And then unfortunately the same transfer from the DVD went onto the BD. Hopefully they’ll go back to the colors from the restored LD again, with the next release onto BD

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So disagreement of opinion is now being berated and put down? Come on, people on different sides of such arguments are always passionate with their opinion. I still think the BD looked fine in 2006, but I recognized that there were issues with the colors and I know for a fact that Warner knew there were some issues too.
It wasn't here, it was elsewhere and it was hardly disagreement of opinion. It was berating and viciously so. You have NO idea.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would donate to a Kickstarter fund to restore The Searchers in a minute.
Yes. Tino’s idea, and any other means of forward moving support, would be a very exciting prospect. It’s been 15 years since the release of the current BD. My gosh,15 years. The restorative advancements since that time are vast.

Count me in and show me the way.

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Let's hope that profits from streaming really take off (and critical people are re-employed) and some of the issues mentioned in various classic films can be corrected in new 4K releases (presumably streaming only).

Real Name
Anand
I have the current Blu-ray, but which of the various releases is the most faithful to the proper original color timing of the film?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I have the current Blu-ray, but which of the various releases is the most faithful to the proper original color timing of the film?
The restored LD from ‘91 had the most accurate colors. When they released the film onto DVD the colors were askew, with red adobe brick now appearing yellow. And that same transfer was then applied to the BD release.

Attachments

• BC6303A0-5544-4708-ACA7-E3CA7C4D28A5.jpeg
    BC6303A0-5544-4708-ACA7-E3CA7C4D28A5.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 51

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Restoration Premiere at the TCM 2024 Film Festival!!!!!

The Searchers (1954)

THE SEARCHERS(1956)​

John Wayne stars as a Civil War veteran who returns home to Texas to find much of his family has been killed and his niece (Natalie Wood) has been kidnapped by a rebellious band of Comanche Indians in this John Ford Western.

WORLD PREMIERE RESTORATION​

TCM Film Festival 2024!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm sure we're all interested in seeing what this new restoration looks like (& I think with the faded original negatives we're safe in calling it a restoration), & there surely must be a 4K release next year.

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Just read through this thread and glad to see a news restoration has been done. I haven’t watched this for a long time and look forward to seeing what the results are. Does its premiere at the TCM festival usually indicate it will be shown on the TCM channel afterward?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks