What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I've never experienced this issue, or burn-in problems, with my 6-year-old LG OLED65E6P.
I have the same exact set and I have TERRIBLE burn in on my OLED Doug. Only reason I’m
Hanging on to it is for the 3D. Hopefully my next OLED won’t suffer this fate. And LG was NO help. :(

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sounds like luminance overshoot. Mine had terrible pixelation and flashing issues in dark scenes. It was so distracting I got rid of it and picked up an LCD instead. It seems as though QD-OLED may have fixed this issue.

As I mentioned, it’s my player and not the display. It looks “fine” on other UHD players. Thanks.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the same exact set and I have TERRIBLE burn in on my OLED Doug. Only reason I’m
Hanging on to it is for the 3D. Hopefully my next OLED won’t suffer this fate. And LG was NO help. :(
Sorry to hear that! Do you game? I don't, so that may have some impact on my experience. I've been super-happy with this panel.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sorry to hear that! Do you game? I don't, so that may have some impact on my experience. I've been super-happy with this panel.
I do game. But the burn in is from websites that I browse on my Xbox. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert. Since we have the same display did you experience these visual issues? Not sure what player you have.
Tino,

I didn't watch it on my OLED65E6P display. I watched the disc on my other OLED display OLED55C9UA. Furthermore, it was in Dolby Vision and I had none of the issues you noted as my seating position was only about 3' away from the display so I would've noticed any anomalies. Also, my player was the Oppo 203.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I do game. But the burn in is from websites that I browse on my Xbox. :(
Ah, I don't use my display for that purpose either. Just watching TV and movies. I even went into the service menu and disabled auto-dimming! so far no problems with burn-in. Sorry to hear you have such issues!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just got done watching my 4K/UHD and I'm completely satisfied with the 4K/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos presentations. My first of several viewings of this movie was back in a movie theater during its original theatrical run, and it still got some jumps out of me this morning, even though, I knew what was coming.:rolleyes:

That's so funny as it happened to me too! I knew what was coming, but it didn't matter. Jump!

I watched this projected (via HDR10) and thought it looked great. It's finally what I consider the definitive release of the film after all of these years. It feels like it's about as good as it can be from the A/V side given the source. I enjoyed the original mono too.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I assume that we're still talking about the Shout! Factory disc? The original StudioCanal UHD had a terrible encode that messed up the HDR10 layer and caused major artifacting. That's not the case with the Shout! version. As far as the flickering goes, that does seem to be inherent to the StudioCanal master regardless of encode, but it's a really display-dependent thing that might be affected by refresh rates. I experienced none whatsoever on a JVC RS2000. It's really hit-or-miss if anyone has issues with it.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I assume that we're still talking about the Shout! Factory disc? The original StudioCanal UHD had a terrible encode that messed up the HDR10 layer and caused major artifacting. That's not the case with the Shout! version. As far as the flickering goes, that does seem to be inherent to the StudioCanal master regardless of encode, but it's a really display-dependent thing that might be affected by refresh rates. I experienced none whatsoever on a JVC RS2000. It's really hit-or-miss if anyone has issues with it.
The scan looks identical to the StudioCanal (which I have) and I didn't notice any major artifacting on my projector-set up.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The scan looks identical to the StudioCanal (which I have) and I didn't notice any major artifacting on my projector-set up.

The scan is identical. The encoding isn't. The HDR10 layer on the StudioCanal disc had major issues as a result. Macroblocking, especially during moments like the glowing cross, but it only affected HDR10, not Dolby Vision. There are screenshots and examples on that "other forum," though fair warning that it's a 50+ page thread at this point.

The flickering supposedly affects both Shout! and StudioCanal, since it's inherent in the master, but it doesn't affect everyone. I saw none of it on my projector, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks