What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve seen this before on some other discs I own. A constant flickering amongst swimming grain, especially in dark scenes. Ugh.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In motion

Attachments

• 68744708577__460525E2-321A-4A45-A6D7-385F1C6E7E1C.MOV
    2.7 MB

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just got done watching my 4K/UHD and I'm completely satisfied with the 4K/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos presentations. My first of several viewings of this movie was back in a movie theater during its original theatrical run, and it still got some jumps out of me this morning, even though, I knew what was coming.:rolleyes:
Robert. Since we have the same display did you experience these visual issues? Not sure what player you have.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't seen any widespread reports of similar issues. Could be a bad disc or some setting on your hardware, especially if you say this has affected other discs in a similar way. Do you have some kind of special processing or sharpness turned on, either on the player or display?

I'm not an expert on UHD, but the documentation says this is Dolby Vision, which it's my understanding is different than HDR. Is there a difference in how this is processed by the display that could be causing an issue? You might play with those settings.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’ve seen this before on some other discs I own. A constant flickering amongst swimming grain, especially in dark scenes. Ugh.
I think Malcolm might be onto something, Tino. It would be a worthwhile experiment to disable Dolby Vision in your Panny's setup menu, which will force the display into HDR10 when playing the disc. See if you have the same issue with playback. Whatever's going on, that is NOT right.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Malcolm might be onto something, Tino. It would be a worthwhile experiment to disable Dolby Vision in your Panny's setup menu, which will force the display into HDR10 when playing the disc. See if you have the same issue with playback. Whatever's going on, that is NOT right.
It might be the reverse. The Fog is presented in Dolby Vision. If you can turn off/disable HDR10, that might improve it.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It might be the reverse. The Fog is presented in Dolby Vision. If you can turn off/disable HDR10, that might improve it.
No, they're mutually exclusive. If the disc has DV encoding, the player will automatically send the DV stream to the display, so that's what Tino is getting. By disabling DV on the player, it will send the HDR10 encode to the display, and we can then rule out whether or not the display's DV settings are causing the issue by looking at those same scenes in HDR10.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Apparently my issue is player related.

I tried it on my PS5 and XBOX Series X and the grain was not nearly as intrusive nor did I see the flickering as much.

Strange.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It is disabled.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My receiver doesn’t do DV pass thru.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Well, another thing to try would be to connect the player directly to the display and bypass the receiver, just to rule IT out as the possible problem.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I played around with the HDR settings on my Panny player and it seems the brighter the setting, the more pronounced the issues are. I knocked it down from bright to light and it’s watchable now. Weird.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I’m gonna play around with the settings some more.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Sounds like luminance overshoot. Mine had terrible pixelation and flashing issues in dark scenes. It was so distracting I got rid of it and picked up an LCD instead. It seems as though QD-OLED may have fixed this issue.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sounds like luminance overshoot. Mine had terrible pixelation and flashing issues in dark scenes. It was so distracting I got rid of it and picked up an LCD instead. It seems as though QD-OLED may have fixed this issue.

I've never experienced this issue, or burn-in problems, with my 6-year-old LG OLED65E6P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks