What's new

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The discussion is about color not aspect ratios. It’s quite obvious it’s not faithful to the film as it was originally shown. No film in the early 70’s looked like that. And especially not this one.

This is really a tricky thing like a rabbit hole. I'm not sure any film commercially projected in the 70s resembles a UHD BD. Weren't most commercial prints barely over 480p equivalency, under 10 ftL, and inconsistent print to print in color also thanks to various projector bulbs, etc?

Speaking for myself, I know I don't want that at home.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
This is really a tricky thing. I'm not sure any film commercially projected in the 70s resembles a UHD BD. Weren't most commercial prints barely over 480p equivalency, under 10 ftL, and inconsistent print to print in color also thanks to various projector bulbs, etc?
That's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. A 4K scan from the original camera negative looks inherently different than a vintage theatrical print -- even if the colors are 100% accurate. Doesn't mean that colorists shouldn't strive for accuracy, but it does mean that you're still comparing apples to oranges. Or maybe a more accurate analogy would be one variety of apple to another. The Exorcist in 4K on UHD will look different than the film did in the Seventies even if the color timing is perfect.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
That's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. A 4K scan from the original camera negative looks inherently different than a vintage theatrical print -- even if the colors are 100% accurate. Doesn't mean that colorists shouldn't strive for accuracy, but it does mean that you're still comparing apples to oranges. Or maybe a more accurate analogy would be one variety of apple to another. The Exorcist in 4K on UHD will look different than the film did in the Seventies even if the color timing is perfect.

Exactly. We're ultimately talking about analog vs digital (on displays reaching many hundreds or thousands of nits) with its own spec color gamut and dynamic range ability.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Exorcist 4K disc arrived today and I can not wait to view it on my Sony OLED!

The Exorcist DVD 4K.jpg

Robert Saccone

Premium
Looking at the cover art, I wonder if the upcoming Exorcist Believer had an influence on it? It reminds me of stills I've seen of the upcoming film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is really a tricky thing like a rabbit hole. I'm not sure any film commercially projected in the 70s resembles a UHD BD. Weren't most commercial prints barely over 480p equivalency, under 10 ftL, and inconsistent print to print in color also thanks to various projector bulbs, etc?

Speaking for myself, I know I don't want that at home.
No. They were not.

Absolutely, and positively not.

The age and/or production values, film stock, capturing mechanism and optics, as well as projection technology, has nothing to do with the ability to reproduce its original look on 2 or 4k disc.

The only artifact that remains unique to film in that era are yellowed projection screens.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
A 4K scan from the original camera negative looks inherently different than a vintage theatrical print -- even if the colors are 100% accurate.
A scan of the original camera negative, 2K or 4K, will show up what indeed was in the negative. Answer prints, colour grading, etc. would have been applied at a later stage in the photochemical process.

That's why having an approved color-timed reference is so important with restorations, as the people doing them have to perform digitally that photochemical correction.

And it's very easy to tweak things too much or wrongly in a digital suite, altering the film, or even when trying to improve things that couldn't be done in the old times.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Exactly. We're ultimately talking about analog vs digital (on displays reaching many hundreds or thousands of nits) with its own spec color gamut and dynamic range ability.
And yet there are 4K discs like Alien, Flash Gordon, The Shining and Blow Out that manage to look very much like pristine film prints. I'm sure they don't look exactly the way release prints did, but they just look "right" for films of the era. So does pretty much everything released by the Waner Archive.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And yet there are 4K discs like Alien, Flash Gordon, The Shining and Blow Out that manage to look very much like pristine film prints. I'm sure they don't look exactly the way release prints did, but they just look "right" for films of the era. So does pretty much everything released by the Waner Archive.

FWIW, you also don't *have* to watch them on very "digital" looking "displays reaching many hundreds or thousands of nits" either. Some of us go w/ FP setups that probably do come closer to what good film projection would/should look like, but that's a choice you have to make (and pay for and accommodate) yourself of course -- and some (maybe even most?) may simply/actually not care/want the original film projection kinda look (aside from increased resolution/detail) anyway... :P

_Man_

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
A scan of the original camera negative, 2K or 4K, will show up what indeed was in the negative. Answer prints, colour grading, etc. would have been applied at a later stage in the photochemical process.
That's my whole point -- release prints don't necessarily show up everything that was on the negative, regardless of differences in color timing. The levels of detail, the grain, and even the densities change with generational loss. Even assuming that there was consistency in the timing that means every print exactly matched the intentions of the filmmaker, and assuming that the color grade on a given UHD or Blu-ray exactly matches that, the digital version based on a scan from the OCN will still look different than the film did originally. And that's even taking the vagaries of memory out of the equation, too. What The Exorcist looked like in any given theatre in 1973 isn't really an exact benchmark for how the UHD should look. Too many variables have been removed from the equation.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Worked exclusive opening of Exorcist at Shepherd Mall some 50 years ago. Saw it many times. In fact the theater had a nurse on duty in the lobby. Colors were desaturated compared to the 4k which is more beautiful I must admit!

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
That's my whole point -- release prints don't necessarily show up everything that was on the negative, regardless of differences in color timing. The levels of detail, the grain, and even the densities change with generational loss. Even assuming that there was consistency in the timing that means every print exactly matched the intentions of the filmmaker, and assuming that the color grade on a given UHD or Blu-ray exactly matches that, the digital version based on a scan from the OCN will still look different than the film did originally. And that's even taking the vagaries of memory out of the equation, too. What The Exorcist looked like in any given theatre in 1973 isn't really an exact benchmark for how the UHD should look. Too many variables have been removed from the equation.
I agree 100% with you. In the photochemical era, there was an answer print, or an approved I.P., etc. from which prints were struck, etc. Ideally, the digital restoration from the OCN should be as close as possible to that photochemical master. But while you can have a digital master, and struck DVD, Blu-rays, VOD, DCP, etc. any derived digital version from that and should look identical in terms of look, there wasn't that consistency with the prints during the photochemical era. There were good and bad prints, and all of them, with a film with a succesful run such as "THE EXORCIST", probably played for weeks, if not months, causing lots of tear and wear, damages, etc. to the print itself. While a DCP at a movie theater remains the same, it doesn't deteriorate, and the variables come from the projection system and the bulb of the projector.

So a digital scan of the OCN, color corrected to match an approved I.P. for instance, or a very good print, should be the way to go. When the restoration involves the filmakers, it should be just to certify or supervise that that color correction matches the print, not to modify (to almost no exception) the original look.

I'm a cinematographer and I did a movie on which I had a difference in opinion with the director about the color that we should use for a certain, pivotal scene. I wanted the scene to be played in green tones, and the director wanted it green or blue, he wasn't sure at all. So I put blue lights on the shoot because I knew that I could easily change them to green in post if I manage to convince him later to go for the greens, which I didn't (and the film remains blue). If in 20 years somebody asks me to supervise a new edition or something, should I took advantage of the situation and make it green as it was intended by me and half agreed by the director? I don't think so, the film should be shown always as intended. And in this case, the director, who's the boss, wanted it blue.

I have just seen "AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON" in 4K HDR and it's a good example of that. The film has been timed to look as it has always did, with the cleaniness of a better source than before (OCN?) and the improved brightness and blacks offered by HDR. But the essence of the film is there, taking advantage of the newest media and improvements in scanning, compression, more resolution, etc. but what I first saw in the early 80's, later on DVD, Blu-ray, etc. has been very well translated to 4K HDR.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
No. They were not.

Absolutely, and positively not.

The age and/or production values, film stock, capturing mechanism and optics, as well as projection technology, has nothing to do with the ability to reproduce its original look on 2 or 4k disc.

The only artifact that remains unique to film in that era are yellowed projection screens.

Hm. I just cannot get my head around how a 1000-4000 nit disc can truly resemble an original projected film print (~25 to even 50 nits, say) color in such accuracy. Now I get it in a general sense (skin tones shouldn't look green, etc.) but when we are talking such nuances and differences in dynamic range and how a particular display technology will display such (even before getting in tone mapping differences, ABL on OLED, etc). I could see a very rough similarity or approximation of color at the very best, but I could see how those changes in nits per scene make it like a 'wack a mole' game.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, you also don't *have* to watch them on very "digital" looking "displays reaching many hundreds or thousands of nits" either. Some of us go w/ FP setups that probably do come closer to what good film projection would/should look like, but that's a choice you have to make (and pay for and accommodate) yourself of course -- and some (maybe even most?) may simply/actually not care/want the original film projection kinda look (aside from increased resolution/detail) anyway... :P

_Man_

I get it and the 'look' of projection because I use one myself. I'm close to 110 nits for HDR with good dynamic tone mapping (and it looks great - including The Exorcist), but these discs are truly designed for high nits per the spec. Tone mapping on a front projector means that high nit signal must be compressed to be viewable in a meaningful way.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hm. I just cannot get my head around how a 1000-4000 nit disc can truly resemble an original projected film print (~25 to even 50 nits, say) color in such accuracy. Now I get it in a general sense (skin tones shouldn't look green, etc.) but when we are talking such nuances and differences in dynamic range and how a particular display technology will display such (even before getting in tone mapping differences, ABL on OLED, etc). I could see a very rough similarity or approximation of color at the very best, but I could see how those changes in nits per scene make it like a 'wack a mole' game.
I’m not referencing extreme HDR. Look at Aurens, MFL, Godfather 2008, Vertigo et al, and you’ll see the reference print At 98%.

For older productions, I’m a great believer in waving the HDR above the project, akin to a good martini. Take a look at MWKTM, which the team at Uni restored to perfection.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
This may be the proper time to relate a story that references color and filmmakers.

It was probably mid-April of 1988. I had been in LA for months working on El Aurens, and Freddie Young and David Lean had joined my team to help.

They knew the film as well as anyone.

I brought them to MetroColor to show them some sample timing reels, and after a few we stopped and chatted about color and densities.

They approved of where we had taken the majority of the interiors, but explained that my desert exteriors were beautiful.

And wrong.

They both agreed that I had beautified them. They were no longer hot, and dangerous.

And then got into a discussion of whether the sand should be a tad more mauve. And disagreed as to the precise shade.

We split it.

Color memory is a dangerous thing. Which is why I ALWAYS use reference.
Exactly and there are many stills etc from that era to use as reference and that look nothing like those new screen caps. I fear HDR is tweaking many films to look modern and may look fine to many especially younger viewers but actually are a disservice to film preservation. Same for changing a mono film to a 7.1 Atmos experience. Like why doesn’t The Exorcist for example default to the mono?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Exactly and there are many stills etc from that era to use as reference and that look nothing like those new screen caps. I fear HDR is tweaking many films to look modern and may look fine to many especially younger viewers but actually are a disservice to film preservation. Same for changing a mono film to a 7.1 Atmos experience. Like why doesn’t The Exorcist for example default to the mono?
Keep in mind that Exorcist had a bona fide 70mm mix.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I only have Alien and The Shining of those mentioned, but I agree with your general sentiment of, I'm sure they don't look exactly the way release prints did, but they just look "right" for films of the era. Grain is retained, lack of edge enhancement, good detail - looks 'natural'. I kind of feel the same about The Exorcist even if there are a few small moments where compression seems to struggle in the skies of the Iraq scene and some brief color bleeding elsewhere. But the vast majority looks like what I would expect even if deliberate revision went into it. When I read comments on another forum about people sticking with the VHS and DVD of The Exorcist because they match the "original print" it's huge eyeroll for me, but to each their own.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I only have Alien and The Shining of those mentioned, but I agree with your general sentiment of, I'm sure they don't look exactly the way release prints did, but they just look "right" for films of the era. Grain is retained, lack of edge enhancement, good detail - looks 'natural'. I kind of feel the same about The Exorcist even if there are a few small moments where compression seems to struggle in the skies of the Iraq scene and some brief color bleeding elsewhere. But the vast majority looks like what I would expect even if deliberate revision went into it. When I read comments on another forum about people sticking with the VHS and DVD of The Exorcist because they match the "original print" it's huge eyeroll for me, but to each their own.

I think we've seen enough "revised" color palettes to make people suspicious - and the original BD of "French Connection" puts Friedkin on the "guilty until proven innocent" list! :D

But anytime an older movie hews toward colors that don't "feel right", we're gonna suspect alterations.

When I plopped the "Exorcist" 4K into my player and saw the orangeness of the Iraq scenes, I couldn't help but think changes occurred.

But honestly, as this thread shows, it's hard to nail down "original colors" - or original anything - much of the time.

I tend to just go agnostic when I review titles like this.

Unless I have strong evidence the image has been severely mucked with, I just rate what I see onscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks