What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Got my set earlier. This is my frame.
loa_frame.jpg

At about 1:22:20 after they attack Aqaba. Lawrence chatting with Ali.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If anyone has standing orders with Deep Discount, a cancellation may be in order. I had ordered extra copies, and am on "backorder," which is take to mean akin to
"standby."

Better off getting from Costco while they have stock, for a few dollars more, as opposed to potentially not getting copies -- which is becoming more and more likely.

RAH

russellsd

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell Sinclair-Day
Robert Harris said:
If anyone has standing orders with Deep Discount, a cancellation may be in order.  I had ordered extra copies, and am on "backorder," which is take to mean akin to
"standby."
Better off getting from Costco while they have stock, for a few dollars more, as opposed to potentially not getting copies -- which is becoming more and more likely.
RAH
Took this advice last night actually and picked up one of the few my Costco had.
I was perfectly happy with my two disc UK edition until I read this thread.
Thanks Robert, :D a few more dollars lighter in the pocket, but very happy to have picked this box up. Such a beautiful package for such a beautiful film.
Russ.

Real Name
Jeffrey Sultanof
I went to Costco to try to find this, even though I already pre-ordered the box from Amazon. No luck. I guess I'll just have to wait. Sigh!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
During several minutes of the balcony sequence on disc 3, there is a voice dubbed in for Jack Hawkins' that sounds an awful lot like that of Charles Grey. Can anyone confirm?

thebard

Auditioning
Real Name
__
Did anyone catch the Peter O'Toole interview on TCM last night? He touched on shooting the charge on Aqaba, and also the dubbing sessions for the original restoration.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
thebard said:
Did anyone catch the Peter O'Toole interview on TCM last night? He touched on shooting the charge on Aqaba, and also the dubbing sessions for the original restoration.
Yes, if it was the same one shown earlier this year(?) It was a fantastic interview.
My LCE Box arrived today. The most impressive Blu-ray set I've yet seen. My Film Frame is of Ali and Lawrence at the well - I was hoping I would get a desert shot!:) I'll post a pic later.

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
Amidst the praise for this wonderful transfer, let me add my total displeasure at the inclusion of the balcony scene only on the big box set.
I expect those big sets to be the exclusive home of film strips, lobby cards, CD soundtrack, etc - but *not* actual content from the film! Why should I have to buy all of that unwanted merchandise when all I'm interested in is the movie? "A Conversation with Steven Spielberg" could easily have been swapped out for this -- make the two disc version the movie only (including the extra scene), and make the big box the home of all the bonus features.
Doing it the way they did is greedy and wrong IMO.
Ah well, off to find a torrented version so I can at least see it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kevin Sharp said:
Amidst the praise for this wonderful transfer, let me add my total displeasure at the inclusion of the balcony scene only on the big box set.
I expect those big sets to be the exclusive home of film strips, lobby cards, CD soundtrack, etc - but *not* actual content from the film! Why should I have to buy all of that unwanted merchandise when all I'm interested in is the movie? "A Conversation with Steven Spielberg" could easily have been swapped out for this -- make the two disc version the movie only (including the extra scene), and make the big box the home of all the bonus features.
Doing it the way they did is greedy and wrong IMO.
Ah well, off to find a torrented version so I can at least see it.
Has nothing to do with greed. The two disc set was prepared for an earlier release. The completed balcony scene, as well as some other features, were not complete mid-summer, at which time the two disc had to be delivered.
The third disc is basically a "catch-all" for everything completed at a later date.
RAH

avenging

Auditioning
Real Name
Miles
This might be construed as a bit off subject bit I had a question for Adrian Turner regarding his book :The Making of David Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia".
I was just wondering if he had any plans to republish it ?
Thanks

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just ran through this thread. I saw the big box set at Costco yesterday, but held off. I Am not a super fan of this film, but I acknowledge it's importance in film history and I know it's so well loved!
I only saw this film once in its entirety on the first DVD release from many years ago. Perhaps I didn't like the way it end, it just didn't work for me. I was also a lot younger and stupid then. I was alive when this film came out, but still in diapers.
With that said, that big box set was very tempting. I have a good large screen now. Perhaps with my maturity and a nice plasma screen and sound system, I would enjoy this more? I would apprecite the extras in the set. I like The Bridge on the River Kwai. Haven't seen that blu ray yet. If I get it, I'll let you know which still came in it.
Mr. Harris, I wonder why Sony just didn't wait to release the 2 disc set if those extras were not completed yet? The big box set made it for the holiday season.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
You're welcome. I finally saw it yesterday, dedicating a nice chunk of my Saturday (a good investment of time). First saw it on pay-TV (ON-TV), then VHS, 70mm 1989 theatrical re-release, laserdisc, 2001 DVD, 2003 Superbit DVD, and now, this.

Just an amazing experience...wow.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_4002984
Just ran through this thread. I saw the big box set at Costco yesterday, but held off. I Am not a super fan of this film, but I acknowledge it's importance in film history and I know it's so well loved!
I only saw this film once in its entirety on the first DVD release from many years ago. Perhaps I didn't like the way it end, it just didn't work for me. I was also a lot younger and stupid then. I was alive when this film came out, but still in diapers.
With that said, that big box set was very tempting. I have a good large screen now. Perhaps with my maturity and a nice plasma screen and sound system, I would enjoy this more? I would apprecite the extras in the set. I like The Bridge on the River Kwai. Haven't seen that blu ray yet. If I get it, I'll let you know which still came in it.
Mr. Harris, I wonder why Sony just didn't wait to release the 2 disc set if those extras were not completed yet? The big box set made it for the holiday season.
Distribution obligations.

As to your earlier history with the film, it's not a very good film when viewed on non-anamorphic DVD. One can hardly see what's going on at times. If you've a large screen, the BD should be in your library.

RAH

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mr. Harris! I have that first issue DVD that is cloth bound. I figured as much that this film requires a larger screen to really appreciate the visuals. I'll be picking this up!

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I did finally get to watch the first half. The image was pretty incredible almost everywhere. The Stairs at St. Paul's finally didn't show artifacts!
If I were going to nitpick, I would point to the scene where Lawrence wanders in the dark after his first evening meeting with Faisal. The image is a bit noisy, and Lawrence seems to have a blue halo.
Also, my frame is actually of Allenby at his desk during his first meeting with Lawrence.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I also got shipping confirmation from Deep Discount...and a back-up copy from Amazon in case DDD fell through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks