What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Danny Burk /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_4003061

• I just received shipping confirmation from Deep Discount, so you guys will probably get yours soon.

Same here. The copy I ordered from DD will be a Christmas gift.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Bill McCamy /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_4001835
You might consider one more volume, the Castle Hill Press printing of the 30% longer 1922 edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Castle Hill has also published a matching volume of "The Mint." Seven Pillars is out of print now, but a paperback version is pending. Due to copyright issues, the volume is not available in the U.S. (There are some cheesy Kindle knock-offs, I think), but can be shipped from the U.K. to the U.S.

I have a 2000 edition published by The Folio Society. Very nicely done, in a slipcase. It is still available, with membership. Some used copies are available on eBay.

DanielME

Auditioning
Hi all, long time reader of this site but never posted.
I just received my copy of the full gift set. As others have posted, what a beautiful set. The book is very nice! The blu ray looks incredible!
Here's what I got for my cell

Can't wait for the weekend to watch it in full.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Richard Gallagher said:
I have a 2000 edition published by The Folio Society. Very nicely done, in a slipcase. It is still available, with membership. Some used copies are available on eBay.
The FS edition appears to be the standard 1926 text, which is a fantastic read. The 1922 version was unavailable until 1997 when Castle Hill published a limited three-volume edition. They followed up with a single volume edition ten years ago. The differences between the 1926 and 1922 versions are explained at the Castle Hill website.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I got mine tonight at Costco. They had two left, and both were hidden, stacked sideways and between shelf supports where even i could not find them after searching all the DVD and Blu ray section for 20 minutes. My film frame 33425. Nice!
Looking forward to watching it over the long weekend.
I hope this boxed set sells out.
Robert Harris said:
If anyone has standing orders with Deep Discount, a cancellation may be in order.  I had ordered extra copies, and am on "backorder," which is take to mean akin to
"standby."
Better off getting from Costco while they have stock, for a few dollars more, as opposed to potentially not getting copies -- which is becoming more and more likely.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark Walker said:
I got mine tonight at Costco. They had two left, and both were hidden, stacked sideways and between shelf supports where even i could not find them after searching all the DVD and Blu ray section for 20 minutes. My film frame 33425. Nice!
Looking forward to watching it over the long weekend.
I hope this boxed set sells out.
Sounds as if someone put them aside for their own later purchase.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Costco in St. Hubert (suburb of Montreal) had a dozen or so, at 55$, prominently displayed. I already had mine but for anyone in the area who's a fan, it's worth checking out.
Also had Casablanca, Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind boxes at about 35$ each.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
My Deep Discount order, formally backordered, shipped on the 19th and is in transit. As its coming from Compton, Ca and I am in New York, I don't expect it until next week. Sounds like a great set. I am looking forward to it. I am guessing I will get it before the Hitchcock gift set which is currently floating across the Atlantic.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Mark Walker said:
I got mine tonight at Costco. They had two left, and both were hidden, stacked sideways and between shelf supports where even i could not find them after searching all the DVD and Blu ray section for 20 minutes.
The Costco in Cypress, CA had them stacked exactly the same way you describe. I searched for the longest time and nearly gave up before I found a copy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My local Costco had 6 copies on the bottom shelf and not hidden at all. You could not miss it. I saw them Saturday and I went back last night and grabbed one. I don't think they sold any between. I figure its too pricey for your average Costco customer.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
What's the story behind the "70mm Restoration Trailer" on the 3rd disc? It's a bunch of horrible quality frame enlargements with a poorly recorded voiceover... in 1.85:1. You would think Columbia would have put something better together in 1988. For that matter, is the first 1962 trailer from a 65/70mm element? The quality is almost as good as the film itself and seemed to have stereo sound.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/180#post_4004093
What's the story behind the "70mm Restoration Trailer" on the 3rd disc? It's a bunch of horrible quality frame enlargements with a poorly recorded voiceover... in 1.85:1. You would think Columbia would have put something better together in 1988. For that matter, is the first 1962 trailer from a 65/70mm element? The quality is almost as good as the film itself and seemed to have stereo sound.
The OCN of the trailer is 65mm.

RAH

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's quite an experience to be handed one of the most pivotal moments of one's childhood, which had become cloaked in the fog of memory, and find it suddenly rendered crystalline, renewed in all its vigor and arresting detail. That's what happened to me this afternoon when I watched the restored Balcony scene for the first time in fifty years. At least, those missing lines of dialogue about "poet-generals" and gardening certainly seemed familiar, and I was taken to see Lawrence of Arabia in mid-December 1962 at the Criterion in NYC, so It's very possible I did indeed hear those lines before. It certainly deepens the meaning of the scene, linking the talk of poet-warriors & gardening with dialogue heard earlier in the film, such as the question asked Lawrence by his guide, "Is Britain a desert country?" and Lawrence's answer, "No, a fat country... with fat people" as well as the scene in Faisal's tent, where Lawrence recites the Koran. I also remember, as a twelve year old, loving the rhythm of the scene, in particular how the dialogue evolves and is transformed by Dryden opening the door. As Mr. Harris has stated earlier in this long and lovely thread, "a game changer", and also, as far as I'm concerned, a shining beacon.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by lark144 /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/180#post_4004202
It's quite an experience to be handed one of the most pivotal moments of one's childhood, which had become cloaked in the fog of memory, and find it suddenly rendered crystalline, renewed in all its vigor and arresting detail. That's what happened to me this afternoon when I watched the restored Balcony scene for the first time in fifty years. At least, those missing lines of dialogue about "poet-generals" and gardening certainly seemed familiar, and I was taken to see Lawrence of Arabia in mid-December 1962 at the Criterion in NYC, so It's very possible I did indeed hear those lines before. It certainly deepens the meaning of the scene, linking the talk of poet-warriors & gardening with dialogue heard earlier in the film, such as the question asked Lawrence by his guide, "Is Britain a desert country?" and Lawrence's answer, "No, a fat country... with fat people" as well as the scene in Faisal's tent, where Lawrence recites the Koran. I also remember, as a twelve year old, loving the rhythm of the scene, in particular how the dialogue evolves and is transformed by Dryden opening the door. As Mr. Harris has stated earlier in this long and lovely thread, "a game changer", and also, as far as I'm concerned, a shining beacon.
If you saw the film in NY in December of 1962, you are among the chosen. What I would give to have those trims...

RAH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My copy arrived and my film frame is Lawrence blowing out the match. So basically all of your sets are a little terrible in comparison.

Just kidding! My frame was the same one in the tent that others posted. The quality of the set is worthy of all the praise. I popped in the disc for a quick work, and wow. Exemplary work Mr. Harris! Now I need to find the time to sit down with it proper.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Query for RAH:
Accounts of the new restoration say that Sony struck a new IP before scanning the negative. Should this have even been possible? I thought you were on record as saying that the negative would never print again? Is it now just padded with a bunch of dupes?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Russell G said:
My copy arrived and my film frame is Lawrence blowing out the match. So basically all of your sets are a little terrible in comparison.
The close up of Lawrence blowing out the match only lasts about 4 seconds. If anyone out there actually gets one of these frames, it would be like hitting the lottery!
Even if there are about 100 of them, it would still be a great find.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Andy_G /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/180#post_4004220
Query for RAH:
Accounts of the new restoration say that Sony struck a new IP before scanning the negative. Should this have even been possible? I thought you were on record as saying that the negative would never print again? Is it now just padded with a bunch of dupes?
They may possibly been able to get one more off, as we had replaced and repaired much of what survived. If this is correct, it would have been SOP for Mr. Crisp, who not only takes no prisoners, but protects assets by whatever means possible.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Reed Grele /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/180#post_4004234
The close up of Lawrence blowing out the match only lasts about 4 seconds. If anyone out there actually gets one of these frames, it would be like hitting the lottery!
Even if there are about 100 of them, it would still be a great find.
About 500 frames on a print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks