What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alberto_D

BANNED
We would view in the same way as very large JPEG images larger than monitor screen resolution, pulling and pushing with the cursor to reach every side and corners. It could work for judge the image quality.
Some people use smart 4KTV to navegate on web.

Where would you view 2160 captures, and what would you hope to learn from them?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We would view in the same way as very large JPEG images larger than monitor screen resolution, pulling and pushing with the cursor to reach every side and corners. It could work for judge the image quality.
Some people use smart 4KTV to navegate on web.

And what would you believe said image might actually tell you?

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
From Post #410
[...] a 4k DCP will certainly not look worse by definition than a filmout from 4k to 70mm [...]
What is a "filmout" or "A filmout from 4K to 70mm"? This is a new term and/or process unknown to me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
From Post #410

What is a "Filmout" or "A filmout from 4K to 70mm"? This is a new term and/or process unknown to me. Thanks.

It's simply recording the digital files back out to film. When restoration work is done digitally, a new back-up negative is usually created which can be used to strike new prints.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]We are curious to see Lawrence of Arabia 4K captures, when the UHD blu ray get released.
Whenever that day comes, the only 4K/UHD "capture" of Lawrence that I will require is my Day One purchase of the actual disc.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Alberto_D

BANNED
Fine detail, texture, presence or ausence of edge enhancement halo or sharpness adjustments if not very well made.
Of course a moving image it's the best to judge, but a well made screen capture can give some idea.
I supose you belive screengrabs are usuless to judge flicker, instability, casual dirt spots. These defects are up top the reviewer to report.

For Lawrence of Arabia I imgaine people will see a stellar work, as you were involved in the restoration from 65mm camera negative.

And what would you believe said image might actually tell you?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
For Lawrence of Arabia I imgaine people will see a stellar work, as you were involved in the restoration from 65mm camera negative.

I do not need screen captures to buy UHD discs of Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus or Ben-Hur, and some others that come to mind. These are blind buys for me as I know that the discs will be excellent.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Just finished another screening of this wonderful picture, gets me every single time. Stunning! I'll note that I watched the Japanese Sony 2- disc mastered in 4K series set. I still think Mr. Spielberg said it best: " Lawrence of Arabia is a miracle".

Last edited:

greg_t

Screenwriter
Can anyone tell me if the Amazon 4K version has hdr, and if so is it dolby vision or HDR10? In reading some on this it's supposed to be a great version.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Inspired by the recent Nitrateville interview, I had a Memorial Day Robert A. Harris Film Festival, with all three parts of the Godfather trilogy (2008 version) and Lawrence (twice). I finally got around to opening my deluxe box set of Lawrence, and my 70mm frame is with O'Toole and the glass of lemonade in his hand.

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
Inspired by the recent Nitrateville interview, I had a Memorial Day Robert A. Harris Film Festival, with all three parts of the Godfather trilogy (2008 version) and Lawrence (twice). I finally got around to opening my deluxe box set of Lawrence, and my 70mm frame is with O'Toole and the glass of lemonade in his hand.
My 70mm frame is of Aqaba from behind one of the immovable cannons. Wanna trade?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks