What's new

UHD Review International A Few Words About A few words about...™ - It Follows -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
David Robert Mitchell's superb 2014 horror film, It Follows, has been released in 4k via Second Sight, which follows the domestic Anchor Bay Blu-ray.

Question is - how much of a difference is there between the two, or is there any difference at all.

The answer is "yes," there is a difference, albeit not earth-shattering.

However, that doesn't tell the entire story, for fans of the film may want to double-dip not for the bit of 4k upgrade, but rather for the additions and extras, which include a new Dolby Atmos track as well as eight new commentaries and interviews.

I enjoyed the film, and for me, the Atmos track would be a benefit, even if I didn't get around to the extras.

The new 4k is not inexpensive as it also comes either as a boxed set with a new 150 page book, or as a basic 4k. The boxed set is currently available for around $55. The standard 4k is going for $40.

I'd normally take the position that if you don't have the film, and you're a horror fan, just go for the 4k, but in this case, since the Blu-ray has been around for it bit, it can be had for $10.

For the difference one could order the Big fries.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film - for the extras and Dolby Atmos

Highly Recommended

RAH

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I see no discernible difference in projected video quality, between Second Sight's 4K UHD and the previously released blu-rays, on three of their releases, which were filmed digitally: The Babadook, The VVitch and Drive. As you say, the extras are the bait for upgrading/double-dipping. I expect the same for the upcoming Crimes of the Future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
David Robert Mitchell's greatest film isn't available in 4K....or Blu-Ray, and that is scary.

beelzebomb

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
David Robert Mitchell's greatest film isn't available in 4K....or Blu-Ray, and that is scary.

Myth is available on blu-ray as part of the French limited edition of It Follows. You lose the extras, but do gain Myth. Not easy to find, but well worth the hunt.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Question is - how much of a difference is there between the two, or is there any difference at all.

The answer is "yes," there is a difference, albeit not earth-shattering.
Interesting, looking at screen captures:

The colour grading is improved and, interestingly, digital artefacts, such as edge enhancement, are eliminated:

No increase in resolution, but projected onto a big screen, it certainly looks better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks